Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, mqr said:

But Heyman is Lord of the Mystery Team

He has actually tried to identify them, even if he still puts it out there. He has had several tweets this offseason saying stuff like "harper camp saying there is a mystery team but I can't find anyone to confirm."

1 minute ago, IowaPG said:

The pujols comp is ridiculous in my opinion too, byt  it has to do with pujols performance before signing 10/240. They expect similar output from machado.

Things can always change swiftly

The only comp to Pujols is going to be Mike Trout when he hits free agency at age 30 after the 2020 season...in terms of HoF numbers already before that final deal.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So these theoretical teams then have specific guidelines for jumping in but also specifics guidelines for not participating and those numbers are between $175 M and $250 M ?

No sauces.

But this is all hypothetical based on my perception using different negotiations that I have been a part of as a baseline.

For example.

Lets say Im looking to buy a house. My limit is $500k. There is this amazing house, but its listed at $1mil. Its unlikely my agent is going to take me to see that house. Its unlikely I even have my agent talk to their agent, because its way out of my price range.

As it turns out, the best offer on the house is currently $400k. How do you get it out into the market to potential buyers "Hey maybe you should make an offer" without letting them know the only other offer is way below what you want.

Thats why Lozano would only want leaks that are somewhat close to what he wants for Machado. Hed never want one so low that another team starts at 7/180, thats just too much work to try and push to the $250 range. Because if those teams were willing to go $250, theyd have been in on him at the start. 

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  Teams see this, maybe they make a phone call.  If you get them to call you because someone is at $175, you probably get $200 out of them top of the offer.  For a bit more work, maybe you get them to $225 or $250.  It doesn't hurt for the agent to try to drum up a new line of conversation.

I am sure there are sleazy agents. But remember for an agent this is not a one and done.  Teams are not going to get their info from the media. They are going to call the agent directly and get a feel or range where the bidding is.  If Manny's agent tells Philly the White Sox offered $250 and they drop out and Manny signs for $175 that agent will have a hard time the next time he has a player up for a new contract.  Agents want the most for their clients but I doubt they will lie as to actual offers they have. 

I am sure some of our posters have been involved in bidding in the workplace. There are ways to work  the price up or down while maintaining your reputation.   

Just now, G&T said:

"way off" could also mean $120M. Heyman just thinks it's higher.

I'm going to say that it's incredibly unlikely it's lower. But considering how stupid everything is, you may be right and i'm sure Levine will be quick to tweet that.

5 minutes ago, heirdog said:

The insight seems to be based on several different circumstances weaved into a plausible scenario.  If that’s your take, great.  Roll with it and many will both be interested and perhaps agree and react.

But Occam’s razor is that despite what some believe, every single person in the Sox FO are not ridiculously incompetent.  Not one person here should believe for a second that Jerry has swooped in 2 months into this (and 2+ years in the planning) and put some archaic comp and stifled negotiations at a level below what the preferred destination Yankees (and probably 10 other teams) would pay.

I get it. Im not extremely happy with it either. Hope Im wrong but i trust my source since they generally give me insight, no false guarantees

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

No sauces.

But this is all hypothetical based on my perception using different negotiations that I have been a part of as a baseline.

For example.

Lets say Im looking to buy a house. My limit is $500k. There is this amazing house, but its listed at $1mil. Its unlikely my agent is going to take me to see that house. Its unlikely I even have my agent talk to their agent, because its way out of my price range.

As it turns out, the best offer on the house is currently $400k. How do you get it out into the market to potential buyers "Hey maybe you should make an offer" without letting them know the only other offer is way below what you want.

Thats why Lozano would only want leaks that are somewhat close to what he wants for Machado. Hed never want one so low that another team starts at 7/180, thats just too much work to try and push to the $250 range. Because if those teams were willing to go $250, theyd have been in on him at the start. 

That's why I think everyone afraid of other teams jumping in @$175M is a load of horse manure. We all need to try to think as executives in charge of a multi billion dollar corporation instead of .25 ante weekend poker players who buy back into the pot because they happen to have an extra $10 in their wallet. These things are planned out in advance , these teams have other holes to fill . They can't hold up there own team while jumping in at one amount then jumping right back out when it gets too rich. You are either in or out from the start knowing full well that the market can either crater or explode.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres