Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Honestly, I think the White Sox should be insulted by this.  This was a flat out public accusation, and was 100% negotiating through the media.  The exact thing he professes to be fighting.  And I don’t see the point of the WS leaking numbers as was reported.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

Which means the Sox are more serious than being reported by those clowns. First Hahn and now Lozano frustrated with the media. I'd say there are serious talks between the Sox and Lozano.

I don't think it necessarily means they're "more serious," or in intense negotiations, just that their offer is much higher than the $175m figure.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Wonder if the Sox will release a statement saying they’re abiding to the CBA?  This whole thing is a soap opera that doesn’t seem to be trending the Sox way.

The White Sox should absolutely make no public statement in reply to an agents statement like this. Even I'd read that as the White Sox covering something up.

I don't necessarily take that release as a shot at the Sox.  Mainly because I still don't see why the Sox would leak such a low offer.  As someone said, that could have been the initial offer, but further negotiations have got to taking place.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be even in the running.

I mentioned before that I don't think leaks are truly convincing other teams to make low ball offers.  I don't see what the Sox had to gain by leaking such a low offer.

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Fascinating stuff. But in the end, this has no effect on the Sox' chances either way. All noise.

Yup, completely agree.  Just never seen an agent do this before so it's definitely interesting.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Wonder if the Sox will release a statement saying they’re abiding to the CBA?  This whole thing is a soap opera that doesn’t seem to be trending the Sox way.

Hey, welcome back!

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

I don't think it necessarily means they're "more serious," or in intense negotiations, just that their offer is much higher than the $175m figure.

Rick needs to play hardball.  Call Lozano up and straight up ask him if he's accusing the Sox of leaking.  If so, temporarily take the offer off the table.  That'll leave his client with 0 offers and he'll look like the fool.  

I think the fact that Lazano's statement did not mention Passan and Gomez here is really telling.  Sox are probably at 8/$250M at least verbally, and Lazano is just making one last stand to try and get more money out of someone else.  

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Its definitely problematic. 

No sauces, but when you compare Sox/Philly, there has been many more rumors about the Sox, and the information has been much more specific. Its absolutely possible that Lozano is putting on a show here, but I am starting to think that someone from the Sox camp is getting too cute.

This also could be why JR has to step in. 

1 hour ago, almagest said:

So a salary cap doesn't put a cap on individual salaries?

Theoretically in any sport with a cap, a team could give one player a contract that paid them all but the amount necessary to pay the league minimum to the number of players required to fill out a roster. The sport where that would be most likely to happen, or at least come close to it, is the NBA, because of how star driven their league is. The max deal in the NBA created the additional cap space that gets spent in ways that you indicate you don't like. Thus, the cap isn't the problem, the max deal is.

4 minutes ago, Jon1798 said:

Honestly, I think the White Sox should be insulted by this.  This was a flat out public accusation, and was 100% negotiating through the media.  The exact thing he professes to be fighting.  And I don’t see the point of the WS leaking numbers as was reported.

Once again, this is not necessarily directed at the White Sox.  The report is about the Sox because of this bogus offer that was put out there today.  As you said, the Sox would have had no reason to release such a stupid number to possibly get more teams involved and if we all know that, so does Dan.

Edited by Rowand44

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think the fact that Lazano's statement did not mention Passan and Gomez here is really telling.  Sox are probably at 8/$250M at least verbally, and Lazano is just making one last stand to try and get more money out of someone else.  

I would guess the fact that this was the #2 story on ESPN.com today after Olney jumped in probably played into this, that's bigger exposure than just twitter.

Just now, SoxFan562004 said:

Who the hell knows what's going on, but it's possible Sox got mad at Lozano thinking he leaked it to goose other teams and they're the only ones seriously at the table, so he's doing this to soothe them.  Again, I have no idea, but a possible spin.

That's what I think it is.  Really, why would the team leak that their offer was garbage?  What benefit would it have to them?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Yup, completely agree.  Just never seen an agent do this before so it's definitely interesting.

Hey, welcome back!

You know I’ve been optimistic about Manny, but it’s starting to feel a bit to me that he only comes here by default.  Not sure that would be the best situation for him then.

• Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres