Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Wonder if the Sox will release a statement saying they’re abiding to the CBA?  This whole thing is a soap opera that doesn’t seem to be trending the Sox way.

Why?   If the Sox came out now and said they have an offer for 8/$240 on the table it would make Olney look like a fool.  Olney has stated all winter the Sox have no business in this process and ESPN itself cannot be too enamored with the idea of the White Sox signing either.   

The Sox cannot really state anything but Olney leaking White Sox information is ludicrous as he pays them no mind. 

Nightengale put out the lowball to offset Gomez and Olney just trolled the situation and looks like an asshat to me. 

My guess is Gomez got the information from Machado directly and the White SOx used their sources to offset it and temper any hope from mystery team.

I beleive the Gomez report as it is the onyl one that makes sense. 

To be clear, anyone involved with the White Sox or Phillies (the only two clubs/entities who I think would leak this) leaking contract details, real or imagined, is engaging in some real shady behavior. Collusion casts a long shadow in MLB and Lozano sees what looks like someone trying to artificially cap the market at a low number.

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

No shit.  Anyone in the western burbs wanna go get nice and liquored up?

I'm in Elgin. McNally's? Filling Station? 

Going to Geneva this evening for a meeting, so I'll have a beer or two. St. Chaz is along the way. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I would guess the fact that this was the #2 story on ESPN.com today after Olney jumped in probably played into this, that's bigger exposure than just twitter.

I agree with this too.  Just as I don't think he's bashing the Sox in this statement, I also don't think not mentioning Passan/Gomez's report is anything to look in to.

6 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Remember there are big egos involved here between Lozano and Boras.   I’ve said that before.  Who benefits the most from such a low offer?   Scott Boras right?    He and Lozano had a nasty break up in business and they both are competing for a finite market right now.   Pure speculation but sure seems logical.   

But what would Boras gain? Surely players aren't choosing their agents based on rumored numbers during negotiations but by the actual final number, right? If anything, wouldn't there being a report of a super lowball offer and then Lozano getting it up to a more realistic number (even if it were always there in actuality) make him look better because he was able to get a ton of money in the negotiation? 

I just really have no idea what is going on right now. Either an agent or a team leaked something that Lozano didn't like, but I don't know who had the right motivations to leak the numbers we think put Lozano over the top. 

8 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Remember there are big egos involved here between Lozano and Boras.   I’ve said that before.  Who benefits the most from such a low offer?   Scott Boras right?    He and Lozano had a nasty break up in business and they both are competing for a finite market right now.   Pure speculation but sure seems logical.   

Yes could be a double benefit to Boras.  He screws his former partner, and in depressing the final contract for Machado, possibly gets the Machado winner to jump into the bidding for Harper, driving up Harper's price.

6 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Rick needs to play hardball.  Call Lozano up and straight up ask him if he's accusing the Sox of leaking.  If so, temporarily take the offer off the table.  That'll leave his client with 0 offers and he'll look like the fool.  

This is a terrible idea. The idea is to entice Manny Machado to play for us for most of the next decade, not to stress to Dan Lozano how high and mighty we are.

• Like 2

Just now, GenericUserName said:

But what would Boras gain? Surely players aren't choosing their agents based on rumored numbers during negotiations but by the actual final number, right? If anything, wouldn't there being a report of a super lowball offer and then Lozano getting it up to a more realistic number (even if it were always there in actuality) make him look better because he was able to get a ton of money in the negotiation? 

I just really have no idea what is going on right now. Either an agent or a team leaked something that Lozano didn't like, but I don't know who had the right motivations to leak the numbers we think put Lozano over the top. 

The problem with the Boras theory, is why would the reporters consider him or his agents a reliable source for Machado's negotiation. 

11 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Toss in the egos of the Sox front office and it was certainly going to be a shit show.

8 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

Rick needs to play hardball.  Call Lozano up and straight up ask him if he's accusing the Sox of leaking.  If so, temporarily take the offer off the table.  That'll leave his client with 0 offers and he'll look like the fool.  

Only Rick would look like a fool here. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I don't know, but I also know boras loves to talk to the media.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

Theoretically in any sport with a cap, a team could give one player a contract that paid them all but the amount necessary to pay the league minimum to the number of players required to fill out a roster. The sport where that would be most likely to happen, or at least come close to it, is the NBA, because of how star driven their league is. The max deal in the NBA created the additional cap space that gets spent in ways that you indicate you don't like. Thus, the cap isn't the problem, the max deal is.

The only reason you have the max contract is because of the salary cap. If there was no max contract you could pay a superstar whatever you wanted and still fill out a roster with fair salaries for complementary players. So I don't know why you think the cap isn't the root problem.

Also any team that pays 90%+ of their cap room for one player is begging to be non-competitive. There's no way that strategy would work in reality because there's a bunch of other teams that could spend responsibly and fill out a complete roster and beat the one star + scrubs team. Also why would an average player take a minimum salary when they could go elsewhere and make more, and probably have a better shot at being competitive?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres