Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

At this point we need to start looking at options. I don't think we land a whale. If we the better offer and the interest is low than what's the hold up? Would 300 million even be considered if Stanton wouldn't have signed that deal? 210 240 million is a lot of money man... I still think to myself is it worth it deep down. It might hinder the rest of the team. We won't be able to add pieces if necessary. I just wish the sox were good at drafting and development, and there would be a few deep drafts while we are losing

2 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

You've loved every single moment of these last 8-10 weeks.  

I loved it through the end of 2018. We're nearing MLK day and I told everyone nobody was signing until after then. Soxfest will be interesting if there are no major signings league wide between now and then. 

I used to think Macharper was going to be resolved between SB Sunday and the start of Spring Training. Now, I think it will be resolved sometime in the first week of March. 

23 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Highly recommend you watch Band of Brothers next. Amazing series.

I've seen parts of it. Old roommate used to make fun of me when we were in infantry officer school together because I wanted to go to the 101st but hadn't seen BoB. I got sent to an armored division instead, so I guess it didn't matter.

I think we all know the longer this goes on it lessens our chances. It’s just going to allow others the time to create an oppportunity with their financial flexibility by making trades or give time for another to talk themselves into being bold and making a huge offer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shipps said:

I think we all know the longer this goes on it lessens are chances. It’s just going to allow others the time to create an oppportunity with their financial flexibility by making trades or give time for another to talk themselves into being bold and making a huge offer. 

Never know... Red Sox fans said the same last year about JD.

1 minute ago, shipps said:

I think we all know the longer this goes on it lessens are chances. It’s just going to allow others the time to create an oppportunity with their financial flexibility by making trades or give time for another to talk themselves into being bold and making a huge offer. 

This is my concern as well. To be a fly on the wall during these negotiations. 

4 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Can someone give a recap of what happened? 

Earlier today Buster Olney tweeted that the White Sox have made a 7 year, $175 million offer to Machado, and the article made the #2 story on ESPN.com when I looked earlier. 

There were the usual patterings back and forth of people challenging twitter sources for the morning and saying that made no sense...

Then Machado's agent, Dan Lazano, unleashed this tweet and press release saying that someone in MLB was potentially violating the collective bargaining agreement by attempting to negotiate through the media (read full statement at tweet) https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1085655770857799680.

That was then followed by more twitter shenanigoats including Levine saying the 7/175 note was right but that they were sneaking around that with deferred money and Heyman saying nonsense, and Levine also making a pretty silly sounding appearance on the radio.

The big deal is the Lazano tweet, as we have no idea who he's targeting, whether it's us or not, whether it actually affects anything, or what it means about the negotiations, but it seems like he's pissed at someone in MLB and it seems he has a right to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

he would want to play short wouldnt he?

If he insists on playing SS the White Sox should look somewhere else. Play Yolmer at 3b for another year and go after Rendon or Arenado. 

He's not as good of a SS as he is a 3b, he won't last there for that many years and he'll have to move eventually and doing that would be a problem if we've promised him a position, and if a player really wants to convince me they have an attitude problem then that player should insist that they deserve a position even when they're not the best defender at it. 

That said, I still think playing SS this year was to show some suitors that he could if they wanted him to.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If he insists on playing SS the White Sox should look somewhere else. Play Yolmer at 3b for another year and go after Rendon or Arenado. 

He's not as good of a SS as he is a 3b, he won't last there for that many years and he'll have to move eventually, and if a player really wants to convince me they have an attitude problem then that player should insist that they deserve a position even when they're not the best defender at it. 

That said, I still think playing SS this year was to show some suitors that he could if they wanted him to.

Worry about moncada and madigral later? I just think Having machado play SS entices him in and we can use TA to grab a rotation peice. I dont love our starting depth

20 minutes ago, shipps said:

I think we all know the longer this goes on it lessens our chances. It’s just going to allow others the time to create an oppportunity with their financial flexibility by making trades or give time for another to talk themselves into being bold and making a huge offer. 

Yes, I think this is exactly why Sox fans are hitting the panic button everyday with this 7/175 talk and it won’t look good for JR or any of the front office if a team now comes in and sweeps him out from under us. Pitch fork grabbers will be out and about regardless of the ending calling JR cheap etc. I get the Sox don’t want to bid against themselves but at the same time I’d be asking manny what is it going to take to get this over and sign him today, if they feel it’s reasonable just give him what he wants and be done with it.

Just now, IowaPG said:

Worry about moncada and madigral later? I just think Having machado play SS entices him in and we can use TA to grab a rotation peice. I dont love our starting depth

I don't see anyone likely to give you a real decent rotation piece for Anderson. He's an ok player, but what team is going to part with a rotation piece for him when they could just sign Jose Iglesias? 

5 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Am I crazy or did raBBit say he thought something would happen today?

raBBit only said something along the lines of the Whitesox like to announce deals on Wednesday’s. I don’t ever recall ever seeing him say anything specific about today though.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't see anyone likely to give you a real decent rotation piece for Anderson. He's an ok player, but what team is going to part with a rotation piece for him when they could just sign Jose Iglesias? 

Controll + prospects ? Definitly dont think wed get much on a 1 for 1 swap

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

This is the tweet I was thinking of

Based on all the smoke, at that point in time five days ago, he thought it would be over by today. But he didn’t have any inside source about that. It was just his guess. Now he’s guessing that this may drag on for awhile. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres