Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I am a former agent, more on the marketing side, but definitely understand the art of negotiation.  My guess is the blast from the agent was a call to all teams that this is the going rate at the moment, and it's time to take a seat at the table.

Machado probably likes the Sox,but agent is hoping there is some glorious team who throws out more.

36 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I've seen parts of it. Old roommate used to make fun of me when we were in infantry officer school together because I wanted to go to the 101st but hadn't seen BoB. I got sent to an armored division instead, so I guess it didn't matter.

Thank you for your service.

1 minute ago, IowaPG said:

Controll + prospects ? Definitly dont think wed get much on a 1 for 1 swap

Anderson is an average player with pretty good upside if he can continue the defensive improvement we saw in the 2nd half of last year. Right now he's a better defensive SS than Machado. If you have an infield of Machado, Anderson, Moncada, and some warm body at 1b, you have the makings of an exceptional defensive infield, and swapping out Moncada for Madrigal does not change that. Moving Machado to SS and doing whatever else you want to do with Anderson leaves you with a much weaker IF defensively, fails to fill the main hole in our organization right now (3b), and leaves you still thinking about shifting Moncada or having to sign another 3b.

If you sign Machado and someone gets hurt or falls apart at SS then moving him there for a short time is a backup plan, but honestly, if Machado insists "I must be a SS at any cost" as a GM I'd almost certainly say good luck and I hope it costs you a lot because you don't have an offer from the White Sox to manage us and make our lineup.

• Thanks 1

Again for any panicking fans out there, the Sox aren’t going to be outbid for Machado and I truly believe he wants to go to Chicago at this point and a lot of that has to do with Jon Jay and Alonso and money of course. This may drag on but the Sox are going to get him just a matter of when.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thank you for your service.

I sincerely appreciate that, man. It was my honor, honestly. My adventures in the service have been some of the greatest and funnest of my life. Wouldn’t trade it for any other job in the world.

49 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I've seen parts of it. Old roommate used to make fun of me when we were in infantry officer school together because I wanted to go to the 101st but hadn't seen BoB. I got sent to an armored division instead, so I guess it didn't matter.

Thank you for your service to our Country Sir. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

Has MM camp mentioned even once this off season that playing SS is at all a priority to him? 

Not that I know of, but I firmly believe that the upgrade to the team is far less valuable if he insists on playing short. That’s not our eternal black hole; third is.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I sincerely appreciate that, man. It was my honor, honestly. My adventures in the service have been some of the greatest and funnest of my life. Wouldn’t trade it for any other job in the world.

I’m a Navy guy myself, so gotta say you might have chosen the wrong branch but all kidding aside I couldn’t agree with you more. The adventures the service takes you on are absolutely amazing. Still currently serving?

55 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Armored? You spend anytime at the place of my  birth, Fort Knox?

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't see anyone likely to give you a real decent rotation piece for Anderson. He's an ok player, but what team is going to part with a rotation piece for him when they could just sign Jose Iglesias? 

Machado will not play ss regularly for the White Sox. If he comes here, it is to play 3b.

10 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I’m a Navy guy myself, so gotta say you might have chosen the wrong branch but all kidding aside I couldn’t agree with you more. The adventures the service takes you on are absolutely amazing. Still currently serving?

Thank you for your service as well! My parents were Navy, so I've been getting flak for my choices the whole time I've been in. Currently on a "deployment" with the National Guard. Scare quotes because it involves living in a hotel, so it's far from the worst thing I've had.

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Armored? You spend anytime at the place of my  birth, Fort Knox?

Nope. My station on Active Duty was an armored division, but a Stryker brigade (basically, armored personnel carriers). So the Army mans those with a mix of both armored and infantry guys. Did all my training at Benning and did the rest of my time at Bliss. Never even been to Knox. How is it?

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Thank you for your service as well! My parents were Navy, so I've been getting flak for my choices the whole time I've been in. Currently on a "deployment" with the National Guard. Scare quotes because it involves living in a hotel, so it's far from the worst thing I've had.

Good luck with that! Unfortunately for me, as deployments have been some of the best days for me in the service, mine are all behind me now being a career recruiter.

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Good luck with that! Unfortunately for me, as deployments have been some of the best days for me in the service, mine are all behind me now being a career recruiter.

The White Sox could use a recruiter....

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres