Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Bonds is still absolutely a hall of famer. 0 debate about it. And Shoeless Joe should be on that list too. 

Until 1999, absolutely. His numbers were insane. Even before 'roids, he was frightening to watch come to the plate. I loved watching him growing up. But he blew it, irrevocably.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If this isn't wrapped up by SoxFest, I wonder how annoyed Hahn is going to be by all the Machado questions.

If SoxFest comes around and these whales are either still unsigned or one has signed elsewhere, I would be surprised if Hahn even honored the commitment to show up. And I wouldn't blame him

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

If SoxFest comes around and these whales are either still unsigned or one has signed elsewhere, I would be surprised if Hahn even honored the commitment to show up. And I wouldn't blame him

I legit feel bad for Yonder if this is still up in the air.  And yes, soxfest will be a total mess.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Until 1999, absolutely. His numbers were insane. Even before 'roids, he was frightening to watch come to the plate. I loved watching him growing up. But he blew it, irrevocably.

That still shouldn't matter, but I digress. There's alot of Bonds supporters here in regards to his H.O.F. credentials. 

8 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone been to the fan questions to management part of Soxfest? I was wondering how that goes about? Do you have to be selected to participate? Is it free with admission? How many people are allowed to participate? Etc.

Starts with about 15 minutes of them talking and addressing things with the crowd. Then the last 30 min or so is all questions. You just line up behind a mic and ask. There’s no vetting.

Yes it’s free with admission.

Edited by Sockin

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd almost be willing to put Bonds, Sosa, ARod, Clemens, etc. in the Hall if baseball acknowledged the Steroid Era for what it was. If they dedicated a wing or whatever and stuck all these guys in there I think that would be acceptable. One giant asterisk. One way to look at it is - yes, they cheated - but they were the best in an era of baseball were a vast majority of the league was also cheating. I don't think they have any business being next to guys like Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, etc., but maybe acknowledge that that was one hell of an entertaining era (as much as I dislike those guys for cheating). 

Frank wasn't cheating (I know you said "vast majority"). This is personal to me because Frank made me a White Sox fan when I was a little kid. For years, anytime I talk to anyone about what a great hitter he was, they all point to his imaginary "drop off". Sure, he dropped off from 1994, but 2003 Frank was still an AMAZING hitter. Sure, he could have hit .370 with 94 homeruns and 312 RBIs. But he didn't. He played naturally and went and hit .267 with 42 homeruns and 105 RBIs. And people treated it like he sucked then, because all the other declining superstars were shooting up and playing like deities. No. Hard PASS. Forever.

2 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone been to the fan questions to management part of Soxfest? I was wondering how that goes about? Do you have to be selected to participate? Is it free with admission? How many people are allowed to participate? Etc.

They have a mic set up and depending on how busy it is usually they invite whoever to get in line. I've only attended the 'smaller' seminars. The main one with KW & Hahn is usually pretty crowded.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Frank wasn't cheating (I know you said "vast majority"). This is personal to me because Frank made me a White Sox fan when I was a little kid. For years, anytime I talk to anyone about what a great hitter he was, they all point to his imaginary "drop off". Sure, he dropped off from 1994, but 2003 Frank was still an AMAZING hitter. Sure, he could have hit .370 with 94 homeruns and 312 RBIs. But he didn't. He played naturally and went and hit .267 with 42 homeruns and 105 RBIs. And people treated it like he sucked then, because all the other declining superstars were shooting up and playing like deities. No. Hard PASS. Forever.

That in no way was directed at the Big Hurt. I have no clue why you would single him out of that statement. Frank's the whole reason I am a Sox fan as well, and I fully believe his stance that he was clean. But it is extremely naive to think that players of Bonds caliber were the only ones taking enhancements. Just because the stats were not as good, doesn't mean it happened. Look at some of the shitty players that get busted for them now.

15 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd almost be willing to put Bonds, Sosa, ARod, Clemens, etc. in the Hall if baseball acknowledged the Steroid Era for what it was. If they dedicated a wing or whatever and stuck all these guys in there I think that would be acceptable. One giant asterisk. One way to look at it is - yes, they cheated - but they were the best in an era of baseball were a vast majority of the league was also cheating. I don't think they have any business being next to guys like Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, etc., but maybe acknowledge that that was one hell of an entertaining era (as much as I dislike those guys for cheating). 

If you aint cheating, you aint trying

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That in no way was directed at the Big Hurt. I have no clue why you would single him out of that statement. Frank's the whole reason I am a Sox fan as well, and I fully believe his stance that he was clean. But it is extremely naive to think that players of Bonds caliber were the only ones taking enhancements. Just because the stats were not as good, doesn't mean it happened. Look at some of the shitty players that get busted for them now.

Eh, I don't think I phrased it well. I wasn't trying to doubt your stance on the Hurt. My main point is that he went through a decline at the end of his career, which other players avoided by taking 'roids. Frank should be in the Hall, they shouldn't. That's pretty much my view on it.

26 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Disagree. The Hall should be about great baseball. Not sure who the explicit Klansmen were, but while guys like Anson, Cobb and others had terrible beliefs and, in many cases, were terrible citizens in myriad ways, they were great baseball players.

The group I want to exclude from the Hall is the one who injected themselves with all sorts of junk to produce the ridiculously fraudulent stat lines of the late 90s, early 00s. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, ARod, Ortiz, the earlier Manny, Sheffield, so on.

It might be again unpopular, but so far I've gotten my way on this one.

There’s always been cheating. It’s only been dictated by the technology available.

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres