Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Has anyone said the obligatory "I feel like this is going to end tomorrow" yet tonight?

Because if not, I'll say it.

I feel like this is going to end tomorrow. 

I’m not expecting anything until Friday at the earliest unfortunately.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

43 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone been to the fan questions to management part of Soxfest? I was wondering how that goes about? Do you have to be selected to participate? Is it free with admission? How many people are allowed to participate? Etc.

Free, and you just line up at the microphone. Last year I asked Hahn if my Rick Hahn shirt was a GREAT shirt or THE GREATEST shirt he's ever seen. And I recently tweeted out the video I took of me asking him if he anticipates blowing past the fabled $68M record contract next year (this offseason), where he revealed that they had offered 9-figure contracts in the recent past. I don't think I had posted the video anywhere last year, but then a Phillies or Yankee fan on twitter was talking shit recently about how the White Sox have never offered a contract over $100M and Hahn has never said as much, and lucky for me, I had EXACT video waiting for him. :)

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I'd almost be willing to put Bonds, Sosa, ARod, Clemens, etc. in the Hall if baseball acknowledged the Steroid Era for what it was. If they dedicated a wing or whatever and stuck all these guys in there I think that would be acceptable. One giant asterisk. One way to look at it is - yes, they cheated - but they were the best in an era of baseball were a vast majority of the league was also cheating. I don't think they have any business being next to guys like Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, etc., but maybe acknowledge that that was one hell of an entertaining era (as much as I dislike those guys for cheating). 

Nope. Here is the reason: you are trying to say they were great using their numbers, but their numbers are inflated by PED's. If you wanna say "they were HOF'ers before they took the PED's", nope. Plenty of guys like Mattingly, Murphy, Clark, and Hersheiser put up HOF caliber numbers for an extended period. The guys you mentioned were not that much different without their PED extension.

Take Clemons. His first 2 years in Boston were meh. His next 7 were clearly otherwordly. His next 4 were not good by any definition, and Boston let him walking feeling he was washed up. Heck, when the White Sox signed Jaime Navarro over Roger Clemons, it was a consensus opinion that it was a better signing than giving that money to a washed up Clemons. Clemons started taking PED's, and the next 9 years were otherworldly. After his body had the usual steroid breakdown (see Bonds and McGuire and their late career injuries) which I am using as proof of his use of PED's, his last 2 years were meh just like his first 2. So, what is your argument? Clemons belongs because his 9 year steroid run makes him an ATG after 7 great years and 6 meh to bad years? That's BS. Without that 9 year PED enhanced period, how was he really much better than Hersheiser?

Just now, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

Nope. Here is the reason: you are trying to say they were great using their numbers, but their numbers are inflated by PED's. If you wanna say "they were HOF'ers before they took the PED's", nope. Plenty of guys like Mattingly, Murphy, Clark, and Hersheiser put up HOF caliber numbers for an extended period. The guys you mentioned were not that much different without their PED extension.

Take Clemons. His first 2 years in Boston were meh. His next 7 were clearly otherwordly. His next 4 were not good by any definition, and Boston let him walking feeling he was washed up. Heck, when the White Sox signed Jaime Navarro over Roger Clemons, it was a consensus opinion that it was a better signing than giving that money to a washed up Clemons. Clemons started taking PED's, and the next 9 years were otherworldly. After his body had the usual steroid breakdown (see Bonds and McGuire and their late career injuries) which I am using as proof of his use of PED's, his last 2 years were meh just like his first 2. So, what is your argument? Clemons belongs because his 9 year steroid run makes him an ATG after 7 great years and 6 meh to bad years? That's BS. Without that 9 year PED enhanced period, how was he really much better than Hersheiser?

Who's this Clemons guy?  He sounds swell.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Free, and you just line up at the microphone. Last year I asked Hahn if my Rick Hahn shirt was a GREAT shirt or THE GREATEST shirt he's ever seen. And I recently tweeted out the video I took of me asking him if he anticipates blowing past the fabled $68M record contract next year (this offseason), where he revealed that they had offered 9-figure contracts in the recent past. I don't think I had posted the video anywhere last year, but then a Phillies or Yankee fan on twitter was talking shit recently about how the White Sox have never offered a contract over $100M and Hahn has never said as much, and lucky for me, I had EXACT video waiting for him. :)

I’d assume “Hahn speak” is on full blast at one of these things? I’d love to ask a question, but would hate to get a typical Hahn answer. 

3 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Hahn has the rare ability to make you feel good about asking your question and the answer sounds eloquent and satisfying.  It isn’t until about a week later that you realize you were duped by well-crafted platitudes.

If this GMing thing doesn't work out, he'd make a great politician. He can talk to you for an hour without really telling you anything at all. 

25 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

If this GMing thing doesn't work out, he'd make a great politician. He can talk to you for an hour without really telling you anything at all. 

Of course, that's PRECISELY why many celebrities are entering the political arena, because their money and "authenticity" to tell it like it is creates an illusion that they're actually siding with the "everyman/woman" in society.  It's a neat trick.  Hahn most assuredly belongs in the world of corporate boardrooms, charity functions and the halls of Congress than pounding the pavement and kissing babies.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Hahn has the rare ability to make you feel good about asking your question and the answer sounds eloquent and satisfying.  It isn’t until about a week later that you realize you were duped by well-crafted platitudes.

A full week?  C'mon!  You should be used to that by now, it's not 2013 anymore.

2 hours ago, The Sir said:

Disagree. The Hall should be about great baseball. Not sure who the explicit Klansmen were, but while guys like Anson, Cobb and others had terrible beliefs and, in many cases, were terrible citizens in myriad ways, they were great baseball players.

The group I want to exclude from the Hall is the one who injected themselves with all sorts of junk to produce the ridiculously fraudulent stat lines of the late 90s, early 00s. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, ARod, Ortiz, the earlier Manny, Sheffield, so on.

It might be again unpopular, but so far I've gotten my way on this one.

Pete Rose falls in this category as well. Anyone who bet on games he played and managed in doesn't belong in the HOF. He changed games for monetary benefits, not always his own.

1 hour ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

MLB pretending the late 90’s, early 2000’s didn’t happen is ridiculous. It’s just as ridiculous as ignoring Pete Rose as the all time hits leader. Especially because it’s already likely there are guys in the Hall that used PED’s that either didn’t put up the gaudy numbers to get put under a microscope or were smart enough to not get caught and draw attention to themselves. Fuck, Bud Selig is in the HOF and he knew fully what was going on and turned a blind eye to it. How is that fair to the legit players in there? If you’re trying to protect the sanctity of the Hall, you could argue it’s already lost it. I also said that *if* they made it in (not that I want them in) they should be in their own category entirely and separated from the greats. For example, MLB could fully disclose that this was the STEROID ERA, and these are the player that were the best and defined that period. This is why there is a drug testing system/penalties currently in place, etc. I’m not saying that these guys aren’t assholes for doing what they did (I very much dislike Clemens, Bonds, Aroid as players and people), but is was a dark blip during MLB’s history. You never are going to fully know with 100% certainty whose clean. Players are still getting busted to this day.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

MLB pretending the late 90’s, early 2000’s didn’t happen is ridiculous. It’s just as ridiculous as ignoring Pete Rose as the all time hits leader. Especially because it’s already likely there are guys in the Hall that used PED’s that either didn’t put up the gaudy numbers to get put under a microscope or were smart enough to not get caught and draw attention to themselves. Fuck, Bud Selig is in the HOF and he knew fully what was going on and turned a blind eye to it. How is that fair to the legit players in there? If you’re trying to protect the sanctity of the Hall, you could argue it’s already lost it. I also said that *if* they made it in (not that I want them in) they should be in their own category entirely and separated from the greats. For example, MLB could fully disclose that this was the STEROID ERA, and these are the player that were the best and defined that period. This is why there is a drug testing system/penalties currently in place, etc. I’m not saying that these guys aren’t assholes for doing what they did (I very much dislike Clemens, Bonds, Aroid as players and people), but is was a dark blip during MLB’s history. You never are going to fully know with 100% certainty whose clean. Players are still getting busted to this day.

Pudge Rodriguez, David Ortiz and Piazza immediately come to mind...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

This is my daily "I woke up for work and was excited to see what I missed last night, only to see absolutely NOTHING juicy was mentioned at all and was a total letdown waste of time and it saddens me greatly." post.

Yeah this fucking suck and I’m pissed as hell.  And with that Lozano press release yesterday there is zero chance something happens today yet I’ll end up reading through 30 pages of nothing anyways.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres