Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah this fucking suck and I’m pissed as hell.  And with that Lozano press release yesterday there is zero chance something happens today yet I’ll end up reading through 30 pages of nothing anyways.

We gotta keep that whale updates thread updated. 

43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah this fucking suck and I’m pissed as hell.  And with that Lozano press release yesterday there is zero chance something happens today yet I’ll end up reading through 30 pages of nothing anyways.

We've all been sucked in, and there's no escape.  I check periodically, and when I see the note at the bottom about a bunch of recent replies I get excited.  That is until I read through the posts and see we're discussing NBA contracts, how much of an idiot Levine is, and why the moon is smaller than the sun even though it's closer.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

If SoxFest comes around and these whales are either still unsigned or one has signed elsewhere, I would be surprised if Hahn even honored the commitment to show up. And I wouldn't blame him

The casual fan will at least take it easy on him, unlike all of us, who would probably line up to the podium and have a rapid fire Q&A session as we should.

Bruce (on score now) basically said Lozano is just venting frustration over low offers.  Claimed both Machado and Harper will wind up with closer to 200 than 300 mil.  White Sox offer is traditional, not a lot of opt outs, etc.

Edited by bschmaranz

8 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

Has anyone been to the fan questions to management part of Soxfest? I was wondering how that goes about? Do you have to be selected to participate? Is it free with admission? How many people are allowed to participate? Etc.

There are lots of families there and more general questions about the upcoming or previous season and less targeted questions like we would ask. It’s included in the cost of your admission and you can walk right up to the mic and participate. Usually Farmer or someone like that is there with Hahn or Williams to moderate. When I used to go with my dad at the Hyatt that is how it went, I’m not sure if anything changed since then.

10 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Bruce (on score now) basically said Lozano is just venting frustration over low offers.  Claimed both Machado and Harper will wind up with closer to 200 than 300 mil.  White Sox offer is traditional, not a lot of opt outs, etc.

The only thing I believe is the offer not having a lot of opt outs.  But as we've talked about, no one knows what the offers are except for those actually involved in the process.

I still think Machado ends up with a contract close to the 8/$250M rumor, and Harper will probably get more.  If, as Bruce claims, both guys get closer to $200M, the Sox should sign both.

9 hours ago, The Sir said:

Pete Rose, yes. The other three, no.

Sadly, Bonds would have made it easily until he decided 'roids were a necessary supplement to a career that had produced 445 homeruns, 460 SBs, and a .968 OPS over 14 years.

There remains no way to know that Bonds wansnt regularly taking something else throughout his career and only switched to the tetrahyrdrogestrinone when the new more powerful stuff became available.

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Does anyone believe that Bruce actually knows the exact offer? He seems like he wants people to think he does. Since I started to pay attention to him, he seems like a hack. Has he proven to be well connected with the Sox in the past?

Bruce only knows what people are feeding him, he is being used as puppet in this chase. I imagine today is going to be a pretty slow news day in regards to hearing anything on Machado after yesterday’s debacle. 

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Guys I really feel like it's gonna happen today 

Up until several days ago, I would wake up, roll over, and immediately, before anything else, grab my phone to check SoxTalk because it seems like we've done midnight FA surprises often enough in the past.

Not any more. I'm going to Ireland in mid-March. I'm excited for that and, as such, I have an informal countdown going for that. I'm lumping this in with it. My 50 days 'til vacay is also a solid countdown on days 'til we have answers for both of these dudes. Whatever.

If I had to guess, there are several sets of leaks here and each with a different origin.  The rumored offer of 7/$210M (or whatever it was) seems like it probably was our first, formal offer.  That’s actually a somewhat realistic opening offer if Machado’s original ask was in the $350M to $400M range.  And it wasn’t until Passan/Gomez said the Sox had offered 8/$250M that is was ever really disputed.  My guess is the Sox let that one out of the bag once they were prepared to make their next offer (one Passan/Gomez alluded to) to create some misdirection for the Phillies.

Regarding the 8/$250M offer, I truly believe this is legit but was not made in writing and is therefore not a former offer.  My guess is Lozano leaked this to put some heat on the Phillies.  It should be clear as day that the leaks that came out shortly thereafter from Bob, Bruce, etc. debunking the rumor came out of the White Sox camp.  Merkin being part of the posse is proof of that.

All that being said, I think these 7/$175M rumors are new beast.  The Sox had already put it out there that a 7/$210M offer had been made.  There was value in having Philadelphia believe that’s where they were currently sitting.  Moving the the number down to $175M (and a $25M AAV) doesn’t really benefit us at that point and quite frankly makes it easy to question its validity since it’s so ridiculous.  Therefore, I can only think of two parties who could be responsible for these leaks.  IMO, it either has to be the Phillies (in an attempt to convince Harper’s camp that Machado is a much more affordable option) or Boras (in an attempt to embarrass Lozano).  I just don’t see anything else that adds up.

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

If I had to guess, there are several sets of leaks here and each with a different origin.  The rumored offer of 7/$210M (or whatever it was) seems like it probably was our first, formal offer.  That’s actually a somewhat realistic opening offer if Machado’s original ask was in the $350M to $400M range.  And it wasn’t until Passan/Gomez said the Sox had offered 8/$250M that is was ever really disputed.  My guess is the Sox let that one out of the bag once they were prepared to make their next offer (one Passan/Gomez alluded to) to create some misdirection for the Phillies.

Regarding the 8/$250M offer, I truly believe this is legit but was not made in writing and is therefore not a former offer.  My guess is Lozano leaked this to put some heat on the Phillies.  It should be clear as day that the leaks that came out shortly thereafter from Bob, Bruce, etc. debunking the rumor came out of the White Sox camp.  Merkin being part of the posse is proof of that.

All that being said, I think these 7/$175M rumors are new beast.  The Sox had already put it out there that a 7/$210M offer had been made.  There was value in having Philadelphia believe that’s where they were currently sitting.  Moving the the number down to $175M (and a $25M AAV) doesn’t really benefit us at that point and quite frankly makes it easy to question its validity since it’s so ridiculous.  Therefore, I can only think of two parties who could be responsible for these leaks.  IMO, it either has to be the Phillies (in an attempt to convince Harper’s camp that Machado is a much more affordable option) or Boras (in an attempt to embarrass Lozano).  I just don’t see anything else that adds up.

My money is on Boras. I think this whole process is becoming a very serious staredown between him and Lozano. I think Boras will win but Lozano keeping the Manny race alive is probably annoying the hell out of Boras.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There are three more less feasible but possible options. Lozano leaked 7/175 to invite other teams in and the Sox got pissed so he refuted them. The second is the Sox were upset that the 8/250 leaks came out so in an attempt to stick it to Lozano release 7/175 number. The third is the media really doesn’t like the white Sox and want to keep the “Sox are cheap” narrative so they fabricated it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That analysis seems quite plausible. Thank you for the thoughtful insight.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

There are three more less feasible but possible options. Lozano leaked 7/175 to invite other teams in and the Sox got pissed so he refuted them. The second is the Sox were upset that the 8/250 leaks came out so in an attempt to stick it to Lozano release 7/175 number. The third is the media really doesn’t like the white Sox and want to keep the “Sox are cheap” narrative so they fabricated it.

Those are both so absurd though.  Why do people think the evil media is sitting in their legion of doom thinking "how can I fuck over the palehose today?"  And sticking it to Lozano by helping open up his client's market?  That's just madness.

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Doubt that is an option. What good would it do to the Sox? Us leaking a lower offer is only going to make other teams who thought he was not affordable think that maybe he is and they could start reaching out.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good analysis. What I've always wondered is how does somebody like Boras leak info about the Manny/White Sox negotiations? If Boras calls up Buster Olney to start the leak, does Buster really just run with it and assume Boras is telling the truth when he's not even involved in the negotiations?

Same with the Phillies. Why would any reporter believe their leak when the information is about the White Sox and Manny?

Is the answer as simple as, "well, reporters crave information and badly want to be the one to break news these days that they will believe anything."?

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

When you are looking for $300 million +, the last thing you are going to do is broadcast the team that supposedly has the lead has offered not too much more than half of what you want.

I just think there is misinformation both ways, and a lot more of it than there used to be. Some sources which have seemingly been good for years, might not be good now. Some new ones emerge, and there are a thousands of phonies who like to be considered insiders, yet have no info and either take a shot, come to some conclusion based off the sources they have liked, or in some rare instances, actually know something. Let's face it, we have had more posters on this board that supposedly know something about these negotiations, than any other negotiation or trade in this board's history. The fact is, there are people with the White Sox , relatively high up, that have no idea what is going on.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Doubt that is an option. What good would it do to the Sox? Us leaking a lower offer is only going to make other teams who thought he was not affordable think that maybe he is and they could start reaching out.

Well, we know St. Louis made a lowball offer that was rejected. If it leaks that the deal is 7/175, more teams will come in with offers slightly above that, leaving the real offer, say 8/250, the clear cut best deal. Therefore the Sox come out appearing to be the only team paying above market value set by those offers and Manny has no choice but to accept it. I really hope that isn’t the case, because that shines a negative light on the Sox, but I wouldn’t put it past JR to try and play the system like that. I also think that the Philly or Boras theory makes sense too.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres