Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

8/260 Machado

10/326 Harper

We get Machado...fall just short of Harper who goes to Phillies.

This seems pretty realistic.  I do expect, if (when) the Sox sign Machado, there will be reports that they're still "in" on Harper.  Seems like the Phillies are pressing hard for Harper, and I expect them to get him.

1 hour ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Other free agents have to be livid that this is dragging on forever.

If the Sox were thinking of making a few moves after the Machado signing I'd like to see them now. Still strengthen the team and keep me interested in this daily grind. Just me dreaming.

Edited by Saufley

26 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Good analysis. What I've always wondered is how does somebody like Boras leak info about the Manny/White Sox negotiations? If Boras calls up Buster Olney to start the leak, does Buster really just run with it and assume Boras is telling the truth when he's not even involved in the negotiations?

Same with the Phillies. Why would any reporter believe their leak when the information is about the White Sox and Manny?

Is the answer as simple as, "well, reporters crave information and badly want to be the one to break news these days that they will believe anything."?

I don’t think these leaks come directly from Boras or a member in the Phillies front office.  I think it’s a bit of a game of telephone and you purposely build in a few layers (using so called “industry sources”) so it can’t be traced back to you.  But honestly, that’s just me guessing.

10 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Ottavino would be perfect. A good pen could help this young team stay in games. Plus it would help the young staff. 

I agree with this.  No way we get both of the Whales.  Go get Ottavino and definitely have a killer bullpen.  Shorten the games and give us a great shot of being much better this year.

Anyone else starting to think the Sox are prepared to do something crazy and the Phillies are talking a big game but will ultimately come up short?  I’m sure this post will come back to haunt me in the not too distant future, but I feel like Uncle Jerry may be sick of the losing and is ready to spend big bucks with 83 just around the corner.  Not to be dire, but no one wants to go out as a rebuilding loser.  I really think Reinsdorf is ready to nut up and add two fucking whales.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I thought 8/280 originally but unbelievable lack of suitors made me adjust down a bit. 

Got to give Lozano something he can brag about and that’s the AAV record.  I don’t see any chance in hell he breaks Stanton’s total contract record at this point and Bryce would probably just top it within the next month anyways.

12 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Is it me or are these so called professional reporters sounding like spoiled children. First Bruce throwing his toys out the pram at Heyman and now Rogers with this. They should just accept they were caught spreading fake news and move on.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anyone else starting to think the Sox are prepared to do something crazy and the Phillies are talking a big game but will ultimately come up short?  I’m sure this post will come back to haunt me in the not too distant future, but I feel like Uncle Jerry may be sick of the losing and is ready to spend big bucks with 83 just around the corner.  Not to be dire, but no one wants to go out as a rebuilding loser.  I really think Reinsdorf is ready to nut up and add two fucking whales.

I really don't ha. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Machado, one of Gio/Pomeranz, and Ottavino and calling it an off-season though.

Edited by soxfan2014

The sox pursuit of Manny and Harper this offseason has never had anything to do with their plans for Soxfest,  obviously. They were never going to use Soxfest to "announce" anything new. That being said, now they have to address the 800lb gorilla in the room (all the drama that has taken place this week). What is happening with the Manny Machado talks? Who is leaking what? The Sox know the questions are coming - and some fans are pissed (for sure frustrated). 

So I guess I'm wondering now are the Sox feeling any pressure to get something done by Soxfest? Probably not. But it sure is going to make Soxfest way more interesting this year compared to years past! Maybe Richard Roeper was right about Soxfest this year. You're going to want to be there!

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I wish I could feel this way, my brain has turned to mush thinking about what’s going on when it will be over etc. The 16 year old kid screams both is possible but the 31 year old adult says no chance it happens....so it depends on which one you ask.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I will say, it's definitely better for them if neither has signed with anyone yet as opposed to them both signing with other teams.

I can only imagine how myself and I’m assuming most of the rest of this board would react if Machado/Harper sign first and the team isn’t the Chicago Whitesox.....talk about a shit storm.....

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Once free agency started I felt the Sox were trying to get both of these guys. I suggested 10 at $375 mil for Harper, and 10 at $300 mil for Machado. Many people thought it would take more than $675 mil to get these two. Where it stands now if the Sox can get both for less than $675 mil I think they’d consider it a win. With Harper in right, Machado at 3B, Eloy in left, Abreu at 1B/DH I feel like they try to trade for a 1 or 2 type pitcher so they can go for the division this year. I was thinking Grienke, but not sure if he’s still considered a 1 or 2 type pitcher anymore?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres