Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Anyone else starting to think the Sox are prepared to do something crazy and the Phillies are talking a big game but will ultimately come up short?  I’m sure this post will come back to haunt me in the not too distant future, but I feel like Uncle Jerry may be sick of the losing and is ready to spend big bucks with 83 just around the corner.  Not to be dire, but no one wants to go out as a rebuilding loser.  I really think Reinsdorf is ready to nut up and add two fucking whales.

A wise man once said ...A zebra doesn't change it's stripes... JR has always been cheap and has been one of the  most vocal figures siding with ownership pushing back against the players union. Hes the guy who wont go over a certain amount of years for pitchers, one who stood his ground heavily during the strike, the guy who has never given a contract over $68mm (giving $100mm contracts to guys who ultimately get $150mm doesn't really count ... that proves hes even more hard headed and unable to be flexible).

I am thinking we get neither of these guys. Just my personal opinion. Phillies will land one and the other will sign one of these short term high AAV contract ala what Grandal just did.  With how this FA market is going its going to be very important to the players union to establish a high AAV contract and they will push them to do so.

Ultimately we'll file away this offseason like all others... JR coming up short on a major FA when in reality we never had a shot.

2 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

Bruce (on score now) basically said Lozano is just venting frustration over low offers.  Claimed both Machado and Harper will wind up with closer to 200 than 300 mil.  White Sox offer is traditional, not a lot of opt outs, etc.

I trust Bruce as much as an ass. ( the donkey kind. )

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Nightengale saying basically same as Bruce, their numbers were right.  Sox haven't moved on initial offer, 7 years under 200.  He definitely sounds more confident than Bruce did.

Weren't they the ones saying that the Sox were offering about $200m (believed to be about $210m) just a couple weeks ago?

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Nightengale saying basically same as Bruce, their numbers were right.  Sox haven't moved on initial offer, 7 years under 200.  He definitely sounds more confident than Bruce did.

No way they are going to back down from their reports now, maybe the beginning of next week they will not necessarily admit they were wrong but report a “new” offer of what Gomez is doubling down on.

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

No way they are going to back down from their reports now, maybe the beginning of next week they will not necessarily admit they were wrong but report a “new” offer of what Gomez is doubling down on.

Absolutely.  They go back on their initial reports, they'll be reporting on high school basketball by Monday.

9 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Absolutely.  They go back on their initial reports, they'll be reporting on high school basketball by Monday.

Lol while I think that would be funny I just don’t think anybody cares enough about sports journalism for this to matter. 

I mean there’s no investigative aspect to this like Woodward and Bernstein uncovering a conspiracy.

This is a bunch of grown men sadly waiting to hear something from somebody who knows something and SOMEHOW calling this activity a scoop.   It’s like feeding a group of pigeons.

I feel so sorry that humans have to stoop so low to rename what they are doing to sound pro.  All they are doing is sitting around like sad little puppies waiting for a treat- and they call it scooping a story for some reason.  I’d rather clean truck stop shitters than be a sports journalist in 2019

Usually I feel I can get some sort of sense as to what is going on. But after yesterday, I really just am not sure. My only explanation is that nobody really has a clue. That all of these conflicting "sauces" really dont have any insight and are basically just speculating. That the bar for "sauces" is so low that people are just repeating things because otherwise there would be 0 to report.

Otherwise its a battle of "sauces" and I guess the "sauce" you like depends on what you want to happen.

My no sauce feeling right now is that the Sox are closer to getting 0 than 2, but that somehow they still find a way to get Machado. I think that while economically I understand not wanting to pay, and sticking to "My offer is the best so you have to take it" that its not how I would go forward. I think that even if the Sox are the best offer at $175mil, I think they need to substantially increase it to make Machado happy and get this relationship off to the right start. 

It just makes no sense the Sox are willing to invest $20-$30mil this offseason on random guys, but wont give Machado the type of money his previous performance deserves.

I guess maybe the Sox feel emboldened after what happened with JD Martinez last yaer. But even then, Martinez was older and played a less premium position. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think that even if the Sox are the best offer at $175mil, I think they need to substantially increase it to make Machado happy and get this relationship off to the right start. 

I think that's wrong. You make the offer that is what your front office thinks is the right one and the market dictates and you don't overpay it just to make him "happy." I mean Manny actually has some red flags. At some point you make a fair offer and whatever will be will be.

• Like 1

I think its as simple as the White Sox originally offered 7/$175M.  They've since verbally said 8/$250M is their max offer.  No one else is even close.  Philly is interested but hasn't given an offer higher than 8/$250M, and MM prefers Chicago to Philly. Manny is still holding out for $300M from someone, and is willing to wait it out for now.  He knows the 8/$250M from the Sox will still be there.  

I think that's all there is to it boys.  So we wait to see who says uncle first.  

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres