Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Twins too, they have just as much financial flexibility as the Sox.  Rangers and Tigers are rebuilding, and Angels already have a hefty payroll 

The Brewers are another team that makes sense. 

Brewers have Shaw, Arcia off a promising offseason....Twins have never given this type of deal out, other than to homegrown hero Mauer, and it wiped out two GM’s careers in many ways.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Brewers have Shaw, Arcia off a promising offseason....Twins have never given this type of deal out, other than to homegrown hero Mauer, and it wiped out two GM’s careers in many ways.

Shaw played a lot of 2nd for them last season, and could move there permanently if they signed Machado.  They definitely need another infielder.  They have a gaping hole at either 3B or 2B, and their window is now, though SP is probably a bigger need than another bat.    

As for the Twins - you're right, they've never handed out a contract like this.  But neither have the Sox.  The Twins have $0 committed to 2020 payroll.  They definitely have the money to sign Manny Machado.   

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I just hope we don't have to add this saga to the 100 things on the "Imagine where we'd be if the Sox didn't screw just this one thing up"

Funny thing is when we dodge bullets on stuff (Cespedes and Alex Gordon to name a couple), nobody seems to mention those.  :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Funny thing is when we dodge bullets on stuff (Cespedes and Alex Gordon to name a couple), nobody seems to mention those.  :)

Cespedes signed a one year deal, he did what he was supposed to that year, it would have been fine. But yes, ideally we don't have to be a team that relies on signing a 30+ year old outfielder to hopefully get a wildcard like that white sox team.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Shaw played a lot of 2nd for them last season, and could move there permanently if they signed Machado.  They definitely need another infielder.  They have a gaping hole at either 3B or 2B, and their window is now, though SP is probably a bigger need than another bat.    

As for the Twins - you're right, they've never handed out a contract like this.  But neither have the Sox.  The Twins have $0 committed to 2020 payroll.  They definitely have the money to sign Manny Machado.   

They basically are eight deep...they can wait until the trade deadline on the pitching front.

Long-term, Hiura is 2B, Perez for one year imo or they can trade Thames and try to get a partner for Perez to get through this year...or wait until June/July on that front as well.

Or simply bring back Moustakas on a 1-2 year deal.

1 hour ago, Perfect Vision said:

A couple random thoughts/observations:

If the Sox have been targeting this free agent class for 2+ years, there is no way they could have known back then that none of the big teams -- Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, Giants, etc. -- were going to be seriously involved in this bidding.

They had to have assumed that the winning bid was going to be 9-10 years and $300+ million dollars, and thus seemingly have been prepared to pay that.

They wouldn't open with a bid like that, however, but rather something like the reported 7 year deal, and work up from there.

The Sox are as surprised as everyone else that no other team has pushed them to go higher.  They are ready and willing to go higher, but they are not going to bid against themselves.

My guess is Lozano knows that the Sox are prepared to go much higher, and it's driving him absolutely crazy that he can't get more involvement from other teams to push the Sox up.

What we saw yesterday was Lozano's frustration finally boiling over.

I don't think this stalemate has anything to do with Lozano/Manny not wanting to play for the Sox, but in Lozano knowing he could get more money from the Sox if some other team would just get involved.

I think you are correct here. Sox have the best offer on the table currently for Machado, but there is some frustration by Lozano's camp that there is not another serious bidder to drive the price up for the White Sox. 

Sox are content to let their offer sit as no other team is currently willing to come close to that. I hope eventually Machado decides to take an 8 year deal with the Sox and gets it done. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Another team I'm confused isn't in the bidding is Toronto. Just saw that their current payroll is about $50 million below what it was last year.

Maybe they spoke to Machado and he said he is not interested in moving his family to Canada? Kinda kills a potential deal

3 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Another team I'm confused isn't in the bidding is Toronto. Just saw that their current payroll is about $50 million below what it was last year.

I know Vlad Jr. probably won't last long at 3B, but that is where he'll be slotted for next year at least.

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

Which is why 7/175 just makes no sense as being accurate

It doesn't make sense to me either as being accurate.  I also don't get who would leak that if it wasn't Machado....but Lozano calling them out on it doesn't lend me to believe his camp did.  The whole thing is getting ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

I believe the Jays were expected to cut payroll significantly.  There is an article here https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/opinion/2018/09/11/blue-jays-headed-for-dramatic-payroll-cut.html

Also, I believe earlier in the year someone posted an article about Mark Shapiro and his history with other teams of slashing payroll.  I don't expect them to be adding a $200+ million dollar contract.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Attendance falloff...roster got too old, Stroman went backwards and just too hard to compete in AL East going it halfway.  That’s not even considering TB positioning themselves as a sneaky 3rd team that would have gotten a WC had they been in the Central.

Theyre essentially where the White Sox were two years ago, but don’t have three awesome contracts to deal.  They do have Vladdy Jr. and Bichette, though.

Edited by caulfield12

Random thoughts/observations on yesterday's leaks:

The leak that kick-started this whole thing -- Passan's 8 yr offer/Gomez 8/250 -- almost certainly came from Lozano/Machado's camp after the Sox floated the idea (not officially, just verbally).

That makes sense if Passan's information came directly from Lozano (just 8 yrs without a number), but Gomez's source is a personal connection to Machado (maybe even a close family member).  Gomez felt comfortable giving the exact dollar amount because he didn't have to worry about getting his source in trouble under the CBA, which only applies to teams and players/agents.

So I think we can trust that Lozano wanted it out there that the Sox offer was for 8 years.

The blitzkrieg of 7 year reports that followed would have come from the Sox, obviously, considering who was tweeting those reports.  And yet, curiously, none of those guys including Nightengale said $175 million.  They all just confirmed a 7 year offer.

If the Sox wanted the $175 million number out there, why not just give it to one or more of those guys when the Sox had them confirm the 7 year offer?

The $175 million figure came from..........Buster Olney?  A guy who presumably has no ties to the White Sox front office.  Yes Nightengale came in to verify, but it was Olney that broke the news.

Olney cares about his reputation.  He's not about to make something up or troll to get the Yankees involved.  Someone gave him that information.

Could Olney really trust Boras would have that information?  No, I don't think so.  Boras wouldn't know what information the Sox and Lozano are exchanging.

So that leaves the Phillies, who would know if Lozano told them, presumably to get them to make a higher bid.

If it's true that this was the Phillies doing, then the relationship between Lozano and the Sox may be just fine (with both being pissed off but not necessarily at each other).  Hopefully, then, they are still working towards an amicable deal.

Edited by Perfect Vision

18 hours ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Holy crap it's apparent that Parkins and Levine hate each other's guts after that

18 hours ago, RudyLawRules said:

I give Parkins credit. He wasn't having any of Levine's dip$hit answers and stumbling BS.  Clearly they dislike each other. 

Danny Parkins and Jeff Passan are buddies. Passan used to go on Parkins' show weekly in KC and here. You could tell that Parkins got agitated when Bruce went after him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres