Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Danny Parkins and Jeff Passan are buddies. Passan used to go on Parkins' show weekly in KC and here. You could tell that Parkins got agitated when Bruce went after him. 

But it also doesn't help when your MLB "Insider" is spewing shit that MLB FA isn't broken and its the NBA that needs to be changed.

21 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Another team I'm confused isn't in the bidding is Toronto. Just saw that their current payroll is about $50 million below what it was last year.

They are paying Tulo and Martin close to $50M this season to play elsewhere, tho.

Edited by ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Random thoughts/observations on yesterday's leaks:

The leak that kick-started this whole thing -- Passan's 8 yr offer/Gomez 8/250 -- almost certainly came from Lozano/Machado's camp.

That makes sense if Passan's information came directly from Lozano (just 8 yrs without a number), but Gomez's source is a personal connection to Machado (maybe even a close family member).  Gomez felt comfortable giving the exact dollar amount because he didn't have to worry about getting his source in trouble under the CBA, which only applies to teams and players/agents.

So I think we can trust that Lozano wanted it out there that the Sox offer was for 8 years.

The blitzkrieg of 7 year reports that followed would have come from the Sox, obviously, considering who was tweeting those reports.  And yet, curiously, none of those guys including Nightengale said $175 million.  They all just confirmed a 7 year offer.

The $175 million figure came from..........Buster Olney?  A guy who presumably has no ties to the White Sox front office.  Yes Nightengale came in to verify, but it was Olney that broke the news.

Olney cares about his reputation.  He's not about to make something up or troll to get the Yankees involved.  Someone gave him that information.

Could Olney really trust Boras would have that information?  No, I don't think so.  Boras wouldn't know what information the Sox and Lozano are exchanging.

So that leaves the Phillies, who would know if Lozano told them, presumably to get them to make a higher bid.

If it's true that this was the Phillies doing, then the relationship between Lozano and the Sox may be just fine (with both being pissed off but not necessarily at each other).  Hopefully, then, they are still working towards an amicable deal.

This makes no sense though. A. If the White Sox have a legit $250 million bid, getting everyone to believe it's $175 million accomplishes nothing. They still are $75 million in front. And if the bid actually is $175 million, Lozano doesn't want that out there. He's looking for $300 million plus. If there really was someone willing to go near there, you would think they would have had some extensive discussions by now. It's probably either accurate, or what guys who are usually accurate are passing along, and perhaps they are a bit off now.

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Danny Parkins and Jeff Passan are buddies. Passan used to go on Parkins' show weekly in KC and here. You could tell that Parkins got agitated when Bruce went after him. 

One of the coolest videos is when Passan testifies at a public meeting of the Shawnee Mission District school board and absolutely eviscerates them...or maybe it was Blue Valley, one of those two in Johnson County.

4 hours ago, bschmaranz said:

Those are both so absurd though.  Why do people think the evil media is sitting in their legion of doom thinking "how can I fuck over the palehose today?"  And sticking it to Lozano by helping open up his client's market?  That's just madness.

There is a lot of East coast bias or just regular media bias  that wants to bring the Yankees back into the conversation. Without the Yankees being a top story it hurts ratings. Keep the Yankees involved and you have a lead story even if its fabricated. I don;t think it's true mind you but that is a reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This makes no sense though. A. If the White Sox have a legit $250 million bid, getting everyone to believe it's $175 million accomplishes nothing. They still are $75 million in front. And if the bid actually is $175 million, Lozano doesn't want that out there. He's looking for $300 million plus. If there really was someone willing to go near there, you would think they would have had some extensive discussions by now. It's probably either accurate, or what guys who are usually accurate are passing along, and perhaps they are a bit off now.

That's exactly what I'm saying -- that it was likely the Phillies that leaked the $175 mil number, not Lozano or the Sox.

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

That's exactly what I'm saying -- that it was likely the Phillies that leaked the $175 mil number, not Lozano or the Sox.

I don't see where it would serve them any purpose. I just think it's either a case of accurate with a smaller number of suitors than hoped, or someone who has a track history of being  great source to these guys,  suddenly being way off. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

What does that accomplish for the Phillies tho?

I'm at a weird point where I find it impossible to believe, but fail to see how it accomplishes anything for anyone involved. I was only half kidding about the Cubs conspiracy.

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Honestly, I don't think much.  Perhaps a signal to Boras on how cheap Machado appears to be, and they can just pivot to him if Boras is being unreasonable with his demands.

I think that makes sense in that it would only really help someone negotiating with Harper to show that the price of the other coveted FA comp in his class is getting offered much less than he's looking for.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Honestly, I don't think much.  Perhaps a signal to Boras on how cheap Machado appears to be, and they can just pivot to him if Boras is being unreasonable with his demands.

If Machado's price is $175 milliion, that's a little more than half what many of us thought it would take. You would think the Phillies could go for both.

4 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Suppose that could make some sense

3 minutes ago, Peacock Wrestler said:

The $175 million has to be the initial offer.  Manny's camp wants $325.  Both parties will give in a bit and meet about halfway.   The gap between the initial offer and what Manny was looking for are unprecedented causing all the confusion.  

That maybe eventually happen, but don’t think we’re there yet or he’d be a Chicago White Sox at 8/$250M already. 

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Alright Yankees just added more payroll in Ottavino so they have to finally, completely, be out of it now.

Doesn't matter, we'll still hear them mentioned 1000 times before this bad boy is over.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Alright Yankees just added more payroll in Ottavino so they have to finally, completely, be out of it now.

Yeah it seems like the only way they could be in is if they shipped a decent prospect or two along with Jacoby Ellsbury's full contract to like KC or Detroit or somewhere where his deal would have no impact on him being there.

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

I don’t know if I missed it on here somehow, but I just got an At-Bat notification that the Phillies dream scenario is Harper and Trout. Does that mean they’re getting away from Machado...?

That's also a "sources" thing. No one in Phillies front office can talk about Trout because it would be considered tampering.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres