Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Do we think the Ottavino signing will impact the Yankees trying to sign Machado at all?

I think this signing puts the Yankees into luxury tax territory, or if it doesn't it puts them right on the edge of it. If they sign Machado, basically his entire contract would in year 1 have a 20% additional penalty, in year 2 a 30% penalty, and even after Ellsbury's deal ends it would be difficult for them to get out of it in year 3 since so many of their guys will be deep into arbitration. This would also be the last big contract they sign in the next 2 years as if they went over by $40 million they go into huge penalties and lose a draft pick.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That maybe eventually happen, but don’t think we’re there yet or he’d be a Chicago White Sox at 8/$250M already. 

I think they're already at halfway.  Lozano is now waiting to see if the Sox can increase it closer to the $325 that they originally wanted.   If the Sox did increase their off by $75 million, he's going to see how much more he can get.  

I read that Lozano article on Deadspin again, and this paragraph is quite interesting:

"He'd do this one thing all the time," a former co-worker recalls. "Say he'd get an offer of a million. He'd go back to his player and tell him they'd been offered $800,000, but that was way too low and he'd do what he can. He'd wait a few days, accept the original offer, then tell his player: ‘I talked them up to a million. See how I fight for you? See how I fight for you?'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Ottavino would have looked so nice in the Sox bullpen. Damn.

The name has a beautiful symmetry to it. He shoulda kept that in mind before signing with a team where it won't grace the back of a jersey, and took a discount from the White Sox instead.

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Ottavino would have looked so nice in the Sox bullpen. Damn.

I too would have liked him on a 3/$27M instead of Herrera.  Don't think we need all three of Ottavino, Herrera and Colome.  Sox have a bunch of promising young bullpen arms.  They need to give those guys reps in 2019. 

Craig Kimbrel
Ryan Madson
Tony Sipp
Shawn Kelley
Brad Brach
Justin Wilson
Adam Warren
Oliver Perez
Zach Duke
Nick Vincent
Sergio Romo
Jake Diekman
Tyler Clippard
Xavier Cedeno
Greg Holland
Tony Barnette
Aaron Loup
John Axford
Bud Norris
Dan Jennings
Alex Wilson

Free Agent Relief Pitchers still on the market

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I read that Lozano article on Deadspin again, and this paragraph is quite interesting:

"He'd do this one thing all the time," a former co-worker recalls. "Say he'd get an offer of a million. He'd go back to his player and tell him they'd been offered $800,000, but that was way too low and he'd do what he can. He'd wait a few days, accept the original offer, then tell his player: ‘I talked them up to a million. See how I fight for you? See how I fight for you?'

Thanks for posting that paragraph.  Very interesting.

2 hours ago, mqr said:

Well If you believed a certain portion of the Internet, Manny is the worst human being in major professional sports

He plays like AJP did for the Sox if you are his opponent you hate him. If he is on your team you love him. Outside of baseball he seems like a nice enough guy. Very family oriented. He played on that 2015 Dom. Rep. baseball classic team because he wanted to make his parents happy. Also on that team Colome and Nova who people often leave out of the Alonso/Jay narrative.

fairly certain Ottavino took a nice home town discount as a Yankees fan from Brooklyn. I'm sure Sox wanted him but couldnt get him for that price.  I have a feeling they are saving that money for Gio Gonzalez. Reliable LHP, has the Manny/Alonso/Jay Miami connection

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He plays like AJP did for the Sox if you are his opponent you hate him. If he is on your team you love him. Outside of baseball he seems like a nice enough guy. Very family oriented. He played on that 2015 Dom. Rep. baseball classic team because he wanted to make his parents happy. Also on that team Colome and Nova who people often leave out of the Alonso/Jay narrative.

Dont forget Wellington Castillo

3 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

Craig Kimbrel
Ryan Madson
Tony Sipp
Shawn Kelley
Brad Brach
Justin Wilson
Adam Warren
Oliver Perez
Zach Duke
Nick Vincent
Sergio Romo
Jake Diekman
Tyler Clippard
Xavier Cedeno
Greg Holland
Tony Barnette
Aaron Loup
John Axford
Bud Norris
Dan Jennings
Alex Wilson

Free Agent Relief Pitchers still on the market

this list is missing people. one for sur is cody allen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fuagman said:

fairly certain Ottavino took a nice home town discount as a Yankees fan from Brooklyn. I'm sure Sox wanted him but couldnt get him for that price.  I have a feeling they are saving that money for Gio Gonzalez. Reliable LHP, has the Manny/Alonso/Jay Miami connection

I'd love for the Sox to get Gio.  

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Isn't that illegal? I thought agents were required to report every deal to the player? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is how I imagine what almost every agent is like.  

8 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Why? How many #5 starters does a team need?

Well.... Seeing that we don't even have 5 major league starters, I'd say we need more..

I'd say we have 3.5.  Rodon, Lopez and Nova.  I gave Giolito a .5 since he will get a year to see what he can prove.

Edited by cjgalloway
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Well.... Seeing that we don't even have 5 major league starters, I'd say we need more..

I'd say we have 3.5.  Rodon, Lopez and Nova.  I gave Giolito a .5 since he will get a year to see what he can prove.

So you’re not looking to sign a good pitcher, just someone who can be a plug-in? 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres