Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, how much more money are you willing to spend to get it done prior to SoxFest?  Like is him being there worth a million bucks even?  Probably not.

I would think it's worth more than that. Especially for a team like the Sox who've had really poor attendance and have a LOT to gain. Also there is the X factor of letting it go on potentially invites other teams to come and steal him away from you.

3 minutes ago, IowaPG said:

I went to sox fest once a few years back, we were given some weekend passes. Went one day and didnt come back . Really wasnt all that exciting, the press conferences are interesting but I wouldnt do it again.

It’s not for everyone. More a grind really if you’re an autograph seeker. The seminars can be really interesting if you aren’t.

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I haven’t gone since they switched hotels whenever the hell that was.  A lot of us old ass Soxtalk posters used to go all the time before that.

I went in 03, only time I've ever gone.  We had a fricken blast though.  I'd imagine the 2nd time around would lose a lot of it's luster.

4 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I haven’t gone since they switched hotels whenever the hell that was.  A lot of us old ass Soxtalk posters used to go all the time before that.

It was a good time back at the Hyatt. You could also meet a lot of the players at the bar at night.

8 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

If I am remembering correctly I actually met ss2k at soxfest before I ever knew about soxtalk. Mario knew him from here so they said hi there. Ss2k probably doesn’t even remember that 😂 

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bryant, Almora And Longoria go off on slow-developing Machado/Harper market

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25797148/kris-bryant-chicago-cubs-frustrated-unsigned-bryce-harper-manny-machado

These guys are delusional. A “horrible” market for Machado worst case is $175mil, and we know it’s much higher 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bryant, Almora And Longoria go off on slow-developing Machado/Harper market

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25797148/kris-bryant-chicago-cubs-frustrated-unsigned-bryce-harper-manny-machado

That Evan Longoria quote is so stupid. 

"As fans, why should “value” for your team even be a consideration? It’s not your money, it’s money that players have worked their whole lives to get to that level and be deserving of. Bottom line, fans should want the best players and product on the field for their team."

Couple things here. First, it literally is our money. It might be the owners that sign the checks, but the revenue that is used to pay for players is either directly or indirectly from the fans. Second, we all want the best players on the field too. Does he not see fans being frustrated with this and complaining about the owners? Its everywhere. Yankees and Cubs fans are organizing revolts as we speak. Everyone knows the owners are being cheap and trying to maximize their profits above on field competitiveness. But that leads to the final point which is that because we know the owners aren't spending as much and therefore there is a limited payroll capacity, we care about value because we want our team to be competitive. Being competitive isn't likely if we have multiple guys making $20m per year when they aren't playing any better than a rookie who would be making a lot less so we can then spend that money on someone who will help the team win more. In that way, carrying about value is only applicable if you care about winning. In reality, Longoria was part of the system that helped lead to this situation and now he is trying to put the blame on anyone else, including the fans. Blaming the people who allow you to play a game for a living at any time is a bad idea, but especially so when a strike is almost definitely coming in the near future and it would benefit them to win the war of public opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Longoria can look in the mirror at his own contract and regression as a fine example of why more owners are leery of handing out these huge contracts. Look at how the contracts of Heyward and Ellsbury have handcuffed the cubs and Yanks.

Oh and please dont try and tell me it's not the fans money Evan. Why else are we paying $8 for a beer? :lol:

Edited by BlackSox13
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

Longoria can look in the mirror at his own contract and regression as a fine example of why more owners are leery of handing out these huge contracts. Look at how the contracts of Heyward and Ellsbury have handcuffed the cubs and Yanks.

Oh and please dont try and tell me it's not the fans money Evan. Why else are we paying $8 for a beer? :lol:

The way baseball players are paid is fubar. They usually get paid as they are regressing. And are underpaid when they are at the top of their game. Like you said, contracts like Ellsbury, Heyward, Pujols...teams are wary of that. It can handcuff your team for 10 years.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres