Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

No doubt in my mind that it is the Dominican Republic hat that was previously shared. Watch when he turns, you can see the red in the hat.

I wanted to post this when Hatgate was big so I'll just attach it to your post now.

Hatful of Hollow .......the rock music buffs should know this one.

I would hate to be in Hahn's position wrt a mystery team.  I mean, if you're dead serious about winning the bidding war for Machado, having the "there's no mystery team" gamble backfiring on you would be devastating

So how do you keep from bidding against yourself, and at the same time not allow a real mystery team to swoop in?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Real said:

I would hate to be in Hahn's position wrt a mystery team.  I mean, if you're dead serious about winning the bidding war for Machado, having the "there's no mystery team" gamble backfiring on you would be devastating

So how do you keep from bidding against yourself, and at the same time not allow a real mystery team to swoop in?

I guess by just offering a respectable offer that is close to or at the expected price that drove away all the mystery teams.

Three MLB "insiders" who didn't have the White Sox as much of a factor 4 days ago...not completely surprising, I guess

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25769367/will-bryce-harper-manny-machado-sign-super-bowl-sunday-other-burning-questions

Who do you think will sign Machado?

Matz: All the talk about the Phillies flirting heavily with Harper in Vegas this past weekend could be legit. Or it could be a ploy to make Machado flinch and take whatever Philly is offering. Feels like the latter to me. I still see Manny donning red pinstripes.

Schoenfield: The funny thing, it's to the advantage of both players to wait for the other to sign first -- especially if the first one to sign doesn't go with the Phillies. We know the Phillies want one of these guys, and if they miss out on the first one to sign, they may feel forced to increase their offer to the other to make sure they don't get shut out. But who signs first? If Harper ends up choosing the Nationals and that happens first, maybe it will push Machado to the Phillies.

Miller: The Phillies. Again, though, given the tone of what's been publicly reported, this feels like trying to forecast the weather nine days out. Feels like the significant steps in the process are still undeveloped.

How surprised would you be if the Phillies ended up signing NEITHER Machado nor Harper?

Matz: About as surprised as I'd be if Machado or Harper ended up hosting this year's Academy Awards.

Schoenfield: Not that surprised. Harper to the Nationals seems like a real possibility. Something deep inside could still see the Yankees swooping in at the last second for Harper or Machado, or maybe Machado goes to the White Sox or the "mystery" team that is supposedly out there (the Padres need a third baseman ...).

Miller: A little bit, but if they were really committed to signing one of them, it would have happened by now.

FWIW, the admin for the Whitesox Exclusive site over on Facebook says talks between Manny and the Sox are fluid and he can confirm they would like to get it wrapped up by Soxfest. 

I thought I saw on Twitter from the kid that scooped the Pederson news that the Sox would like to get that done this week too. Maybe from someone else on Twitter? Sorry.  Alot of Dodgers fans want Abrue though. 

So potentially could be a big week for the pale hose 

Edited by smellysox

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

FWIW, the admin for the Whitesox Exclusive site over on Facebook says talks between Manny and the Sox are fluid and he can confirm they would like to get it wrapped up by Soxfest. 

I thought I saw on Twitter from the kid that scooped the Pederson news that the Sox would like to get that done this week too. Maybe from someone else on Twitter? Sorry.  Alot of Dodgers fans want Abrue though. 

So potentially could be a big week for the pale hose news 

When is the last possible day this week for them to agree to a deal, get a physical done, and have him there for Soxfest? I guess he can always get the physical done Friday morning before Soxfest starts. So to answer my own question, maybe Thursday afternoon?

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

When is the last possible day this week for them to agree to a deal, get a physical done, and have him there for Soxfest? I guess he can always get the physical done Friday morning before Soxfest starts. So to answer my own question, maybe Thursday afternoon?

At this point, I don’t think there’s any chance he’s there.  Just doesn’t seem realistic to me.  Having it announced beforehand or during would be good enough for me.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think it would be unlikely regardless. Maybe if he actually flies to Chicago to sign on Thurs or something he’ll stop by, but it’s his offseason and if he didn’t plan for it he may opt out.

I think it’s more likely an artificial deadline for Sox brass to get off their plate.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

At this point, I don’t think there’s any chance he’s there.  Just doesn’t seem realistic to me.  Having it announced beforehand or during would be good enough for me.

Yeah it seems unlikely for sure. And I would not be opposed to them coming to an agreement on Friday lol

I would think there might be some pressure for the Sox to get something done this week before SoxFest.  However, it seems unlikely that Machado could be signed in time to have him there, unless a deal is very close and it will be announced early this week.  There hasn't been much in the way of rumors for a few days, so I think the best we can expect is an announcement at SoxFest.  Realistically, I think it drags on for another couple weeks.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

I would think there might be some pressure for the Sox to get something done this week before SoxFest.  However, it seems unlikely that Machado could be signed in time to have him there, unless a deal is very close and it will be announced early this week.  There hasn't been much in the way of rumors for a few days, so I think the best we can expect is an announcement at SoxFest.  Realistically, I think it drags on for another couple weeks.

I agree. I don't think it's that close to being wrapped up.

I never understood the narrative that Sox Fest matters in any way at all. It's a group of a few thousand DIE HARD sox fans, many that probably post on this board along with kids/families. Those fans are going to be there regardless unless JR really drives this franchise into the ground. The event already sold their ticket packages and is a minimal revenue driver. Adding Machado doesn't add any revenue.. so what incentive at all does the FO have to sign anybody beforehand?

They just need to get the deal done before the season to get their marketing tuned up and ready to sell season ticket packages.

Harper and Manny likely have their destinations pretty well figured by now, but obviously the deals aren't blowing anybody away so no rush to sign them. MIght as well wait it out.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres