Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

42 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I never understood the narrative that Sox Fest matters in any way at all. It's a group of a few thousand DIE HARD sox fans, many that probably post on this board along with kids/families. Those fans are going to be there regardless unless JR really drives this franchise into the ground. The event already sold their ticket packages and is a minimal revenue driver. Adding Machado doesn't add any revenue.. so what incentive at all does the FO have to sign anybody beforehand?

They just need to get the deal done before the season to get their marketing tuned up and ready to sell season ticket packages.

Harper and Manny likely have their destinations pretty well figured by now, but obviously the deals aren't blowing anybody away so no rush to sign them. MIght as well wait it out.

I agree.  While it would be a nice publicity opportunity, I doubt a team is going to risk rushing the largest asset acquisition in team history so they can save face in a question/answer session at Sox Fest.  If you think about it like this:  what's it going to take to get Manny to sign now?  Oh I don't know...reports of the offer are at least 75 million dollars lower than he's looking for.  So...do the Sox press the panic button and shell out an additional 75 million dollars simply to "get it done before Sox Fest?!"  Uhhhhh....no.  I really don't think we would want our FO to do something like that just so WE could feel better about the whole thing as we browse through the new 2019 Sox gear selections...or stand in line for a Yolmer signature...

If I'm Rick Hahn, I go ahead and field questions/frustrations from fans for an hour to keep from rushing that move!  

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

When is the last possible day this week for them to agree to a deal, get a physical done, and have him there for Soxfest? I guess he can always get the physical done Friday morning before Soxfest starts. So to answer my own question, maybe Thursday afternoon?

I was going to say wednesday, but if they're 'Looking to wrap it up' that implies to me that they've been pretty much in agreement for a while and needed to hammer out details so there could be less time between news break and official announcement.

14 minutes ago, mqr said:

I was going to say wednesday, but if they're 'Looking to wrap it up' that implies to me that they've been pretty much in agreement for a while and needed to hammer out details so there could be less time between news break and official announcement.

Who said they are trying to "wrap it up".  

This week should be the week. MLB needs some news to start hyping up Spring training before next week's Super Bowl Juggernaut takes over everything. 

Manny signs this week, we make a couple moves/signings after and Bryce's market is set and defined to ramp up leading to the super bowl. 

At least if I were a PR guy, that is what I would hope for...

4 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Who said they are trying to "wrap it up".  

3 hours ago, smellysox said:

FWIW, the admin for the Whitesox Exclusive site over on Facebook says talks between Manny and the Sox are fluid and he can confirm they would like to get it wrapped up by Soxfest. 

I thought I saw on Twitter from the kid that scooped the Pederson news that the Sox would like to get that done this week too. Maybe from someone else on Twitter? Sorry.  Alot of Dodgers fans want Abrue though. 

So potentially could be a big week for the pale hose 

Who knows how legit that is but it was shared above.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This week should be the week. MLB needs some news to start hyping up Spring training before next week's Super Bowl Juggernaut takes over everything. 

Manny signs this week, we make a couple moves/signings after and Bryce's market is set and defined to ramp up leading to the super bowl. 

At least if I were a PR guy, that is what I would hope for...

Not a chance it goes down like this. Especially since the players are starting to speak up across the league about offers being unfair. 

3 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

This thread has really slowed down in the last couple of days. Hopefully we get a little information to pick this thing back up!

I hope so. The weekends definitely help when it comes to being distracted. Being bored at work in front of a computer however.....

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I never understood the narrative that Sox Fest matters in any way at all. It's a group of a few thousand DIE HARD sox fans, many that probably post on this board along with kids/families. Those fans are going to be there regardless unless JR really drives this franchise into the ground. The event already sold their ticket packages and is a minimal revenue driver. Adding Machado doesn't add any revenue.. so what incentive at all does the FO have to sign anybody beforehand?

They just need to get the deal done before the season to get their marketing tuned up and ready to sell season ticket packages.

Harper and Manny likely have their destinations pretty well figured by now, but obviously the deals aren't blowing anybody away so no rush to sign them. MIght as well wait it out.

I think it matters a lot. Not for the few thousand fans that are there. For the media coverage. It's the most media coverage the team will get in the entire off-season.

• Like 1

The cubs convention was this weekend... it's all canned responses.... local media covers it a bit, but it doesn't make national news. Sox signing Machado will be national news. I don't care if Mark Giangreco gives an extra 30 seconds on his 5:00 sportscast to the Sox it equates to nothing in real life. nor do I care if the Score or Tribune cover it. The extra media coverage around SoxTalk does equate to dollars and cents or ticket packages sold. Signing Machado does. So if or when that happens really doesn't matter. (to me, that's my opinion.. obviously we're all different which is fine)

It really is a nothing event put on for autograph hounds, families, and die hard sox fans.

Coming from a nobody Cubs fan:

RT @MatthewS_Aung: Source: The #WhiteSox and Manny Machado are “Continuing to drift apart” in regards to a deal. 

I know some people have suggested that “Machado to the #WhiteSox” might be dead, but to my knowledge there’s still a slim possibility a deal could be reached.

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @MatthewS_Aung: Source: The #WhiteSox and Manny Machado are “Continuing to drift apart” in regards to a deal. 

I know some people have suggested that “Machado to the #WhiteSox” might be dead, but to my knowledge there’s still a slim possibility a deal could be reached.

Yeah I don't think anyone has suggested that

17 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Angry cub fan still coming to grips after hearing at the cubs convention they won't be landing any whales. 

If this were true about Manny and the White Sox, the Moustakas rumor would have blown up again. ;)

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

This thread has really slowed down in the last couple of days. Hopefully we get a little information to pick this thing back up!

There really hasn't been much information so far in this thread. So I don't know why that would stop us now. :P

35 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Lmao. I would be bitter too if my team could only afford to sign Daniel Descalso because of all the horrible contracts they have now.

I don’t know about rest of you but the olney/nightingale/Lozano flap was a shark jumping moment for me. Kind of a sign that paying closer attention to it somehow made you know less.

At this point, the market for him is Sox and Phillies and market for Harper is Sox Phillies and maybe another team like dodgers, but even at their discount mystery teams aren’t as likely to jump out to the 200 mill level. 

Really feels like it’s Sox game to lose so I’m done getting lost in details.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t know about rest of you but the olney/nightingale/Lozano flap was a shark jumping moment for me. Kind of a sign that paying closer attention to it somehow made you know less.

At this point, the market for him is Sox and Phillies and market for Harper is Sox Phillies and maybe another team like dodgers, but even at their discount mystery teams aren’t as likely to jump out to the 200 mill level. 

That's how I feel. I've grown numb to this whole thing.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I agree. With the BS mystery team showing up this weekend, I think we might be near the endgame for this saga, with Manny trying to get the last few dollars out of the Sox. But it sure seems like we'll get zero news or anything of substance for several days or weeks and then suddenly it'll be Bam! Manny signs with Sox.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I think it matters a lot. Not for the few thousand fans that are there. For the media coverage. It's the most media coverage the team will get in the entire off-season.

Unless they sign Machado.  If that happens, they won't need a convention to get the reporters out.  It will be a national news break and will call on the same local reporters who were at SoxFest to report the signing at that time.  Manny signing with the White Sox is bigger (to more people) than SoxFest, so anyone (who matters) covering SoxFest will cover that story if/when it happens.  

Edited by FT35

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres