Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

Well when national media laughed at the thought of one of them coming here, I agree with what he is saying.

No one will laugh if they offered the most money. Then they had a shot. I just hope this isn't a , "no one gave us a chance, but we had a chance, and didn't convert". If you have a chance, convert or STFU as far as I'm concerned. Every team has a chance if they are prepared to pay a ton of money.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Is he going with what people assumed was the offer after WSD said it was at 8 years and COULD BE for $250m? I have not seen those numbers anywhere else other than that time, which he may be running with.

Passan was the one that originally reported those numbers, not wsd.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Ken suggests that the Pads or Mets should go 8/250. Martino is saying that The White Sox are close to that. He isn’t saying Ken said that. He is confirming that those numbers are close to where Chicago is. Suggesting he has inside info on the Sox offer.

I kinda get the padres but not really sure I get the mets. If they signed Manny, they'd have

Todd Frazier (3b), amed Rosario (ss), Jed Lowrie (2b), Alonso 1b, JD Davis (3b/1b/of), Dom Smith (1b/of), Robinson Cano (2b/3b?). 

Now, you can trade Frazier and Dom smith, but even then you are pretty overinflated.

8 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Well when national media laughed at the thought of one of them coming here, I agree with what he is saying.

I don't. You can jerk yourself off over "nobody gave us a chance" after you sign one of those guys. Until then, it means shit. The Sox got meetings with both guys because it was known they would be offering close to $300 million. They would have met with any team offering big money. And we still don't know who much of a "chance" the Sox realistically have with either guy. We might very well find out Machado was holding out for anyone else to match the Sox' offer and Harper never considered playing here. Long way to go before anybody in the Sox front office can spike the football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I kinda get the padres but not really sure I get the mets. If they signed Manny, they'd have

Todd Frazier (3b), amed Rosario (ss), Jed Lowrie (2b), Alonso 1b, JD Davis (3b/1b/of), Dom Smith (1b/of), Robinson Cano (2b/3b?). 

Now, you can trade Frazier and Dom smith, but even then you are pretty overinflated.

McNeil as well, though I guess he's moving to a somewhat crowded OF?

4 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

I don't. You can jerk yourself off over "nobody gave us a chance" after you sign one of those guys. Until then, it means shit. The Sox got meetings with both guys because it was known they would be offering close to $300 million. They would have met with any team offering big money. And we still don't know who much of a "chance" the Sox realistically have with either guy. We might very well find out Machado was holding out for anyone else to match the Sox' offer and Harper never considered playing here. Long way to go before anybody in the Sox front office can spike the football.

I wouldn't get too worked up over what Renteria says. He's not the mouthpiece for FO moves, and he's gonna be asked a bunch of questions about something unresolved and he can't answer much on. So "it's exciting to be involved" is what you are gonna get.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

"Alonso 1B"?  Do you know something that we don't?

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't get too worked up over what Renteria says. He's not the mouthpiece for FO moves, and he's gonna be asked a bunch of questions about something unresolved and he can't answer much on. So "it's exciting to be involved" is what you are gonna get.

You better believe they’re careful about what they say this weekend.  Ricky also did say today that the Sox have as good a chance as anyone to get Manny.

In all honesty, the dumbest SoxFest questions to ask would be Machado-related questions because they are not going to be truly answered.  AND EVERYONE knows this.  However...you watch...the only questions people will try to ask will be Machado-related...assuming THEY are actually going to get worthwhile info from our FO guys.  They'll bring their accounts of these encounters back here and discuss how the questions were just given a blanket, planned response and how they really didn't say anything. 

Humans....SMH.  

Edited by FT35

4 minutes ago, FT35 said:

In all honesty, the dumbest SoxFest questions to ask would be Machado-related questions because they are not going to be truly answered.  AND EVERYONE knows this.  However...you watch...the only questions people will try to ask will be Machado-related...assuming THEY are actually going to get worthwhile info from our FO guys.  They'll bring their accounts of these encounters back here and discuss how the questions were just given a blanket, planned response and how they really didn't say anything. 

Humans....SMH.  

And the worst part, Hahn and co will extend incredibly long-winded answers to those questions despite not saying anything and run out the clock.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FT35 said:

Humans....SMH.  

What exactly are the "intelligent" questions they should be asking??

Let people ask what they wanna ask.  Maybe some tidbit of real info might slip through.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

Player Position Age
Dallas Keuchel SP 31
Gio Gonzalez SP 33
Wade Miley SP 32
Clay Buchholz SP 34

Jeremy Hellickson SP 31
Ervin Santana SP  

Machado rumors aside...we really should consider bringing in one of these guys to bridge the gap

6 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

Player Position Age
Dallas Keuchel SP 31
Gio Gonzalez SP 33
Wade Miley SP 32
Clay Buchholz SP 34

Jeremy Hellickson SP 31
Ervin Santana SP  

Machado rumors aside...we really should consider bringing in one of these guys to bridge the gap

bring Gio back already. please and thank you. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

What exactly are the "intelligent" questions they should be asking??

Let people ask what they wanna ask.  Maybe some tidbit of real info might slip through.

No way.  They have met, planned, rehearsed every team representative on what to say.  They know it's coming and they have their talk tracks all set.  The Machado-related questions are already getting old before the first one is officially asked.  There will be a groan at the FIRST question asked because really at that point the QA session will derail to nothing useful.  Case in point, the Jon Jay press conference...the guy got annoyed at the FIRST question with a Machado-like flavor.  Like bmags said...the trap is set.  The ones who will be trapped will be the ones who ASK, not the FO guys...they are trained to diffuse the public through calculated answers that will sound informative but say absolutely nothing.  

What should we ask instead?  Not sure!  Maybe things like "hey, has Moncada figured out how to hit right-handed yet?"  Ask them a question they haven't prepared an EXACT beat around the bush answer to.  Unless you don't mind not getting your question answered!  

3 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Machado makes so much sense for the Pirates. If they were ever a threat to actually spend money I'd be worried about them.

True, and these are the types of signings otherwise prudent owners sometimes get enticed into (most successfully by Boras)

edit: lol wrong word choice hopefully nobody quoted.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres