Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I read it as him agreeing with WSD. Regardless, I try not to pay to much attention to what White Sox State TV has to say.

I assumed that he was saying WSD was wrong because in the past he has quickly gone on record to say Bruce was right.

In the context of player salaries, especially as relates to Machado and how much the Sox should or can pay him, Fangraphs had an interesting report on the Padres financial situation excerpted from the attached SDU article https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-debt-finances-payroll-fowler-seidler-owners-0118-story.html . Lots of fascinating details but, similar to the Braves finances and most businesses in general, revenue from non-one time sources (i.e.MLBAM sale) drive the amount of proceeds to be used for player salaries. The ratio used by the Padres is approximately 1/3, meaning a third of total revenue allocated to salaries. Since most teams are privately held, its difficult to determine total revenue. Nor can we anticipate how much, if any, JR will spend (further invest) in anticipation a future return, resulting from increased revenue. I recommend reading it if you have time. Might provide a bit of context rather than just tossing out AAV/years as to how much Sox should pay. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I assumed that he was saying WSD was wrong because in the past he has quickly gone on record to say Bruce was right.

possibly. who knows? but, that was before heyman, rosenthal, & lozano pretty much said bruce and bob were wrong.

4 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

AJ Pollock to the dodgers....not sure if this means they are out on Harper

Yes. Yes it does. If the nationals are out on him too...the dream of getting both is actually in reach...albeit still almost impossible. Huge news. And Pederson probably coming our way today also. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

Just now, BigSexy23 said:

Also a huge possibility

this could be the domino to make everything fall. takes the dodgers out of harper most likely. it forces their hand on pederson. with them out on harper it becomes all the more likely that harper ends up in Philly and consequently manny on the south side. This makes me a little hopeful that things are beginning to move!

13 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I think it has more to do with the opt-outs they are likely demanding.

I don't know if it is even quantifiable how valuable a 4 year opt-out for Harpchado could be on a 10yr+ 300+ million dollar deal.  It is the Heyward deal times two.  

The opt-out essentially makes the deal "you can have me for 4 years 120 million, but if I underperform you automatically owe me another 180 million".  

20 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Honestly, pretty stupid tweet. That's comparing apples and oranges.

One player is currently 26 and signing him to a 10 year deal with an insane AAV of 30 million provides extreme risk at the back end of the deal.

The other players are already performing at age 30 season and taking a significantly smaller AAV to get it done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, peppers312 said:

i would love to have Keuchel in our rotation, but i don't see us acquiring him. 

he made $13M last season and i just don't see us spending anywhere near that to sign him. 

If it would only cost that much it would be a steal. 

45 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Because Jim most teams want to have money to sign their own players after 7 years of control to extensions!  When you're talking about the Sox, Padres, braves, Yankees, and Astros - that's what you're dealing with. 

That's why you can go sign the 30 and over to 3-4 year deals at whatever you can afford and the market dictates. 

Edited by smellysox

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres