Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

Seems like an appropriate amount of planning for the most important free agent acquisition in franchise history. 

But it isn't about getting him signed. It's about keeping in a surprised until the opening ceremony. Are they even going to care about that as long as they get the deal done? I don't know.

Why are we acting like SoxFest is the Super Bowl? It's a small event at a hotel in January for superfans and autograph hounds. I literally wouldn't go if someone gave me a free ticket. Why would the sox go through any production to do some kind of reveal of a trade or signing there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Why are we acting like SoxFest is the Super Bowl? It's a small event at a hotel in January for superfans and autograph hounds. I literally wouldn't go if someone gave me a free ticket. Why would the sox go through any production to do some kind of reveal of a trade or signing there?

It would be an incredible scene and something which would go viral to have a huge announcement in front of a room with a few thousand rabid fans cheering. That's a heck of a lot more iconic or impactful than the news being broken with a tweet from Ken Rosenthal saying we signed him.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Maybe to reward the few thousand die hard fans that post on message boards and buy season tickets?  Maybe to see fan reaction? 

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Because parts of it are televised. Most of the local media is present. General theatrics. I don't think it's happening, but i get the rationale, there's an increased visibility of the team at the moment and would signal boost the hell out of the signing. Granted it wouldn't need much signal boosting.

Edited by mqr

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/nationals/when-will-bryce-harper-and-manny-machado-get-their-big-offers-maybe-never/2019/01/25/8ede3efa-20a8-11e9-9145-3f74070bbdb9_story.html?__twitter_impression=true

Now, let me make my next Boz-you-fool prediction. Harper will be funneled to Philadelphia, where I doubt that he longs to play, for less than the $300-million 10-year offer from the Nationals that he rejected in September. He’ll end up with the Phillies because no other team in MLB will make him a competitive offer. He’ll be boxed in.

And Machado will end up signing for perhaps $200 million with the Chicago White Sox, a team that lost 100 games last year and that, by normal baseball logic, should hold little charm for Machado. Except, hold the chuckles, the White Sox traded for his brother-in-law last month.

Just now, mqr said:

Because parts of it are televised. Most of the local media is present. General theatrics. I don't think it's happening, but i get the rationale, there's an increased visibility of the team at the moment. 

Yeah, just think of the rally or whatever it was where the Miami Heat announced signing James and Bosh. It was an iconic moment that was replayed hundreds of times on Sportscenter. It's about theatrics and getting attention for the team. And if clips from his introduction are shown years from now with a voiceover saying "this was the start of a dynasty," then that's a bonus.

Merk: Ozzie Guillen makes his triumphant return, wearing jersey No. 13 -- which has not been given out by the White Sox since he departed as manager after the 2011 season. He presents the jersey to Machado, with a surprise opening ceremony announcement of his contractual agreement Friday evening, only to have Machado switch to a different jersey number as the White Sox announce the retirement of 13 in Guillen's honor.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Because it's televised live?

6 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yes, why would a business that struggles to get attention and publicity utilize the one time per year when local sports media is concentrated almost exclusively on their organization to garner as much attention as possible? 

What a dumb idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

Merk: Ozzie Guillen makes his triumphant return, wearing jersey No. 13 -- which has not been given out by the White Sox since he departed as manager after the 2011 season. He presents the jersey to Machado, with a surprise opening ceremony announcement of his contractual agreement Friday evening, only to have Machado switch to a different jersey number as the White Sox announce the retirement of 13 in Guillen's honor.

As huge as Ozzie was in bringing the team that championship, he doesn't deserve that honor after the way he quit on the franchise.

10 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Soxfest is a big deal that you're really underselling with this post. All the media will be there. Itll be on TV. Everyone in the organization will be there. You should go if you have a ticket. Theres a reason these expensive tickets sell out. If not please give one to me.

That said I dont think any move is happening because of Soxfest.

Just now, 103 mph screwball said:

IF the Sox do not have something planned, the smart thing to do would be to throw water on the rumors.  Instead they threw gasoline by having Yonder Alonso call season ticket holders ON CAMERA.  

I'm not sure if anyone has ever accused the Sox of being be a smart organization

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

This dude has been parroting this same BS for weeks.  Ignore him. He's a Yankee fan/homer that refuses to believe his beloved team won't spend the money to sign Manny.  And for most of his life, he's been right.  But everything points to that not being that case here, and the Sox aren't going to let the Yankees get Machado for anything less than $275M, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

No, he's a good source that has been fairly consistent all along.  

The Yankees are in at 7/$175 maybe 8/$200 but anyone that thinks he signs for that is a bit soft.  Until either guy signs every team is in it to a degree it is a dumb narrative that keeps getting tweeted.  Cubs are in on Harper if he signs for 1/$45M....if the White Sox let that happen they are beyond stupid.

I don't think a team now decides hey, let's go with 10/350 after being out of it all winter...but then maybe I ma the one that is a little dumb.

No team is driving the market and that is why both guys are unsigned. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres