Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This dude has been parroting this same BS for weeks.  Ignore him. He's a Yankee fan/homer that refuses to believe his beloved team won't spend the money to sign Manny.  And for most of his life, he's been right.  But everything points to that not being that case here, and the Sox aren't going to let the Yankees get Machado for anything less than $275M, IMO. 

It was in response to Andy Martino's tweet below:

Last week (I think), BJ Upton was a guest on a number of MLB Network shows. I found it interesting that he said for him having close friends and family on the team would be a big deal and play into his decisionmaking quite a bit when choosing a team. It was the first I'd heard a player take much of a position on the issue one way or another.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Last week (I think), BJ Upton was a guest on a number of MLB Network shows. I found it interesting that he said for him having close friends and family on the team would be a big deal and play into his decisionmaking quite a bit when choosing a team. It was the first I'd heard a player take much of a position on the issue one way or another.

He did say that last week.

The Yankee front office were divided and out on Machado until the heard how Rick Renteria saw something in his eyes.  "If he will hustle for Chicago, he will hustle for us!" said Fake Brian Cashman.   Yankees plan to offer 1 million less than the Sox and are supremely confident Machado will be filling out their bench.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes, why would a business that struggles to get attention and publicity utilize the one time per year when local sports media is concentrated almost exclusively on their organization to garner as much attention as possible? 

What a dumb idea.

I sparked way too much anger with my question...

We need to separate ourselves & look at this from the outside perspective... not the SoxTalk everyday crowd.

How much did you pay attention to the Cubs fan fest? How much did you click on articles more? LIsten to local radio covering it? Did you turn on NBC Sports to watch their opening series or any of their coverage of it? Listen I'm a superfan too.. I'm bored as shi* posting on this page with fake made up dream lineups almost everyday.. I buy season tickets... and fake myself into believing the Sox are going to do the damn thing soon... but I also step back and can separate. I won't turn on one second of SoxFest coverage. I don't care if Mark Giangreco, Lou Canalis or give us 32 seconds on the local news and frankly nor does any other fans outside the very, very small majority of us on this board and a few other thousand die hard fans in Chicago. The general sox fan cares more about Jose Abreu bobble head day in June than SoxFest in January. Not trying to come of harsh.. but SoxFest just isn't a big deal and signing Machado in some kind of "reveal party" would be click bait day and be quickly forgotten.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

We need to separate ourselves & look at this from the outside perspective... not the SoxTalk everyday crowd.

How much did you pay attention to the Cubs fan fest? How much did you click on articles more? LIsten to local radio covering it? Did you turn on NBC Sports to watch their opening series or any of their coverage of it? Listen I'm a superfan too.. I'm bored as shi* posting on this page with fake made up dream lineups almost everyday.. I buy season tickets... and fake myself into believing the Sox are going to do the damn thing soon... but I also step back and can separate. I won't turn on one second of SoxFest coverage. I don't care if Mark Giangreco, Lou Canalis or give us 32 seconds on the local news and frankly nor does any other fans outside the very, very small majority of us on this board and a few other thousand die hard fans in Chicago. The general sox fan cares more about Jose Abreu bobble head day in June than SoxFest in January. Not trying to come of harsh.. but SoxFest just isn't a big deal and signing Machado in some kind of "reveal party" would be click bait day and be quickly forgotten.

I read more Cubs articles during their fest than I have for the rest of their offseason combined. They got a lot of play in airwaves and print because of the fest. I wasnt seeking any of it out but you couldnt help but come across it. There is, after all, a reason why so many media members flock to it. Not sure why you're trying to pretend otherwise.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Well, I paid 0 seconds of attention to it because absolutely nothing of interest happened. If they came out and announced Bryce Harper there it would be immediately viral and everywhere for months.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

My girlfriend is meeting me in Chicago for Soxfest, and she just noted there is an M. Machado on standby on her flight. I laughed pretty hard. Before anyone goes crazy, she's flying in from DC.

You and your gf live on complete opposite ends of the country?  Must be tough.  

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

My girlfriend is meeting me in Chicago for Soxfest, and she just noted there is an M. Machado on standby on her flight. I laughed pretty hard. Before anyone goes crazy, she's flying in from DC.

You mean an airport close to where he used to play :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Good luck getting Manny to Chicago through that airport any time soon...

11 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I didn't pay any attention to Cubs Convention, which is understandable because I'm not a Cubs fan. But had they shocked everybody by trotting out Harper, it would have been a huge moment which would have gone viral and been replayed millions of times. Obviously, the Sox signing Manny won't get the same media love as the Cubs signing Harper, but it would be a huge moment which was shown everywhere. Like I said, the Sox would get an iconic image out of it, rather than just letting Rosenthal break the story and having reporters everywhere just mention that he signed. If gives the franchise attention and pays off the loyal fans. They get to celebrate with thousands of other fans, like at a game, rather than reading some tweet while they're taking a crap.

16 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

The idea that the Sox wouldn't be willing to utilize Soxfest as an attention grabbing time period is absurd and false, and contra to history.

Perfect example.  When did the Sox announce the renaming of New Comiskey Park to US Cellular Field?

When you have a concentrated group of both fans AND media in one place for the sole purpose of the White Sox, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?  Just because you don't like Soxfest has nothing to do with the organization not taking advantage of a great chance to bite at the apple without sharing with any other sports teams in Chicago.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

I didn't pay any attention to Cubs Convention, which is understandable because I'm not a Cubs fan. But had they shocked everybody by trotting out Harper, it would have been a huge moment which would have gone viral and been replayed millions of times. Obviously, the Sox signing Manny won't get the same media love as the Cubs signing Harper, but it would be a huge moment which was shown everywhere. Like I said, the Sox would get an iconic image out of it, rather than just letting Rosenthal break the story and having reporters everywhere just mention that he signed. If gives the franchise attention and pays off the loyal fans. They get to celebrate with thousands of other fans, like at a game, rather than reading some tweet while they're taking a crap.

It would be super, super cool and would love it. I just think the Sox holding out a signing, or really any team holding a signing, no matter how big, is very unlikely in the digital age. There are too many people involved in getting a contract signed where it just takes one snitch for leaks to come out. Unless there are crazy NDA's being signed, I just think odds would be like 1/10,000 that something as big as Macahdo could be held for that moment. So agree with everybody it would be cool, I just don't think it's plausible or that it crossed/crosses the Sox FO minds at all.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea that the Sox wouldn't be willing to utilize Soxfest as an attention grabbing time period is absurd and false, and contra to history.

Perfect example.  When did the Sox announce the renaming of New Comiskey Park to US Cellular Field?

When you have a concentrated group of both fans AND media in one place for the sole purpose of the White Sox, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?  Just because you don't like Soxfest has nothing to do with the organization not taking advantage of a great chance to bite at the apple without sharing with any other sports teams in Chicago.

Announcing a name change to a cellular phone company v. signing a top 10 FA contract of all time is apples and oranges.

Joc Pederson could be a thing. Machado no sir.

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

Announcing a name change to a cellular phone company v. signing a top 10 FA contract of all time is apples and oranges.

Joc Pederson could be a thing. Machado no sir.

Rebranding the home of the White Sox for the first time in the history of the franchise wasn't a big deal?  Apparently you don't remember 2003.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rebranding the home of the White Sox for the first time in the history of the franchise wasn't a big deal?  Apparently you don't remember 2003.

It wasn't well received, and I doubt they expected it to be. But they tied it to renovations. That though , is nothing like a player signing. You didn't have Rosenthal and Heyman and Gammons calling around trying to find out if the Sox were going to change the name of their park, so that could easily  be announced whenever.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

It would be super, super cool and would love it. I just think the Sox holding out a signing, or really any team holding a signing, no matter how big, is very unlikely in the digital age. There are too many people involved in getting a contract signed where it just takes one snitch for leaks to come out. Unless there are crazy NDA's being signed, I just think odds would be like 1/10,000 that something as big as Macahdo could be held for that moment. So agree with everybody it would be cool, I just don't think it's plausible or that it crossed/crosses the Sox FO minds at all.

It would be really hard to pull off for the Sox. Not saying it's realistic, but announcing his signing to hundreds or thousands of fans is much more of a highlight than just letting the news get out through normal media. Your first post was asking why it would be a big deal and why the Sox would even care to save the news for then. The Sox will clearly take Machado at anytime, but being able to break the news tonight has got to be their dream scenario.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres