Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It wasn't well received, and I doubt they expected it to be. But they tied it to renovations. That though , is nothing like a player signing. You didn't have Rosenthal and Heyman and Gammons calling around trying to find out if the Sox were going to change the name of their park, so that could easily  be announced whenever.

Yet they did it at Soxfest.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea that the Sox wouldn't be willing to utilize Soxfest as an attention grabbing time period is absurd and false, and contra to history.

Perfect example.  When did the Sox announce the renaming of New Comiskey Park to US Cellular Field?

When you have a concentrated group of both fans AND media in one place for the sole purpose of the White Sox, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?  Just because you don't like Soxfest has nothing to do with the organization not taking advantage of a great chance to bite at the apple without sharing with any other sports teams in Chicago.

I don’t know man. Naming rights deals are the types of things where you want to take advantage of media being around. Historic free agent signings create their own fervor. 

In the former instance, the team wants you to call it news. In the latter, the media wants it because it is news. 

I've been assuming that the Sox's approach to this is that if they can announce something at Soxfest, they'll try to. They wouldn't ever be sitting on some big news for weeks or make a bigger offer to make sure it was accepted, but they might do something like expedite the physicals or try to keep something under wraps for a couple days so they could have it break at Soxfest.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rebranding the home of the White Sox for the first time in the history of the franchise wasn't a big deal?  Apparently you don't remember 2003.

Ah, the great rename of 2003. I remember where I was that day.

Everything has naming rights tied to it down to Scout Seats, GR club seats, to stadium club, to the plaza.. im surprised Southpaw's shoelaces aren't sponsored by now. I guess it affects people all differently and I respect it made a big impact on you, I Just don't think it did to most.

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

I don’t know man. Naming rights deals are the types of things where you want to take advantage of media being around. Historic free agent signings create their own fervor. 

In the former instance, the team wants you to call it news. In the latter, the media wants it because it is news. 

U.S. Cellular may have asked them to announce it that way during negotiations in order to get a little attention boost.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet they did it at Soxfest.

They have announced a lot more things not at Soxfes than at Soxfest.  

The fact is, especially how Soxfest is now, which Friday is very exclusive, announcing something on a Friday night news dump hour to a small fraction of your fanbase will make those people that bought hotels rooms happy, make every Sox fan happy, but they would have been just as happy if they announced it on Tuesday and said Manny might even show up on Friday, and they almost certainly would have received at least as much bang for their buck. 

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I've been assuming that the Sox's approach to this is that if they can announce something at Soxfest, they'll try to. They wouldn't ever be sitting on some big news for weeks or make a bigger offer to make sure it was accepted, but they might do something like expedite the physicals or try to keep something under wraps for a couple days so they could have it break at Soxfest.

The other thing is, once you do it, it becomes an expectation, and people will be dissappointed if Chris Sale's return isn't announced at Soxfest 2020. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They have announced a lot more things not at Soxfes than at Soxfest.  

The fact is, especially how Soxfest is now, which Friday is very exclusive, announcing something on a Friday night news dump hour to a small fraction of your fanbase will make those people that bought hotels rooms happy, make every Sox fan happy, but they would have been just as happy if they announced it on Tuesday and said Manny might even show up on Friday, and they almost certainly would have received at least as much bang for their buck. 

Fair points but it’s already sold out (perhaps with anticipation and hopes of surprises prior) without Manny or Bryce.  If they announced prior, it might be chaos with overcrowding outside and around hotel.  

And if they announce prior, Manny and/or Bryce kinda required to be there so they don’t seem aloof to fans.  In this day and age, a Skype call w Manny over the large television could work just as well and keeps craziness in sub-zero temps around the hotel at bay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Fair points but it’s already sold out (perhaps with anticipation and hopes of surprises prior) without Manny or Bryce.  If they announced prior, it might be chaos with overcrowding outside and around hotel.  

And if they announce prior, Manny and/or Bryce kinda required to be there so they don’t seem aloof to fans.  In this day and age, a Skype call w Manny over the large television could work just as well and keeps craziness in sub-zero temps around the hotel at bay.

Only fools would travel to Chicago this weekend an hang out outside the hotel. It's pretty cold. 

I know it's a long shot but for those arguing against the logic of announcing it at Soxfest, why wouldn't you maximize the publicity of the biggest contract in the history of your franchise? You will have your most die hard fans there. Media will be in attendance and it will send everyone into a frenzy. Everyone will talk about how the White Sox shocked the world. This will make SoxFest a can't miss event for years to come. The shock will cause fans at the fest to impulsively buy tickets and merch. SoxFest is the best place to announce it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

I know it's a long shot but for those arguing against the logic of announcing it at Soxfest, why wouldn't you maximize the publicity of the biggest contract in the history of your franchise? You will have your most die hard fans there. Media will be in attendance and it will send everyone into a frenzy. Everyone will talk about how the White Sox shocked the world. This will make SoxFest a can't miss event for years to come. The shock will cause fans at the fest to impulsively buy tickets and merch. SoxFest is the best place to announce it.

I totally agree with this. While its completely unlikely to happen, it would be the perfect situation for this.

The bold part is the biggest factor as to why I think a SoxFest announcement could be wise, but I agree with those who think Machado is way too high profile to keep under wraps like that. I could see a Pederson trade being announced there, though 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The other thing is, once you do it, it becomes an expectation, and people will be dissappointed if Chris Sale's return isn't announced at Soxfest 2020. 

So people could continue to buy tickets to Soxfest in anticipation of something big happening even if no one said it would?  Man, the team would hate that.

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Totally this.  You have the Chicago sports media at your disposal.  The idea that the Sox wouldn't be willing to take advantage of that is just silly and false.

So people could continue to buy tickets to Soxfest in anticipation of something big happening even if no one said it would?  Man, the team would hate that.

Soxfest sold out anyway. It usually does. This isn't a big money maker for the team. How come the Sox didn't save their new TV deal announcement for Soxfest?

Exactly! If you are familiar with WWE, I remember the Rock showed up at an house show unannounced. When I saw this I immediately brought Chicago tickets. I knew it was a long shot but in my head i said "what if!?"

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Soxfest sold out anyway. It usually does. This isn't a big money maker for the team. How come the Sox didn't save their new TV deal announcement for Soxfest?

Yeah because hearing the team has a new TV deal is going to cause people to spend and come back next year.

• Haha 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Totally this.  You have the Chicago sports media at your disposal.  The idea that the Sox wouldn't be willing to take advantage of that is just silly and false.

They would have it anyway. Do you really think if the Sox announced they have agreed to sign Machado, press conference tomorrow  a week before Soxfest, the media wouldn't show up? 

Saving it for Friday night is one of the worst times to get the word out news wise. What news is dumped late Friday is usually news that people really want to be ignored. This isn't reaching the most White Sox fans as possible. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why have media at all then?  They obviously shouldn't be seeking attention.  Why announce anything ever at Soxfest?

Yeah because hearing the team has a new TV deal is going to cause people to spend and come back next year.

But changing the name of the park to US Cellular Field would? The fact is the people who show up on Friday night at Soxfest either spend a lot as it is, or due to logistical reasons, cannot. It's not the casual fan that spends $400 on a Soxfest weekend.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres