Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The reaction at the opening ceremony to the announcement of the Kenny Lofton signing was bonkers. It was awesome. Never will forget that.

It is fun!  It makes people feel good.  It is a thank you to the die hard fans.  The national media will piss on it no matter what.  It would be for the people who attend Sox Fest and stalk Soxtalk.

All I know is this: If the Sox pull this off, it will inspire fans to believe again. They will be able to say that a new era of White Sox baseball is here and they did it on their own terms. This fan base has taken so many Ls. The idea, as far fetched as it is, gives me chills.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 2

It is very easy to schedule a physical for Friday morning and plan on hoping that they can announce this evening. If it doesn't work out and has to drag through the weekend, Management can just be giddy in the direction the club is heading and fill diehards with hope. 

That being said...I doubt it goes down without several leaks first. So...leaks, where are you?

25 minutes ago, Jake said:

U.S. Cellular may have asked them to announce it that way during negotiations in order to get a little attention boost.

Very possible. Or they may have offered during the sales process. 

Either way, that’s a situation where both parties care about the same thing. The dodgers don’t care one bit about soxfest, and Machado doesn’t even care about the fact that his signing will be covered as news. 

It's gonna be like a wwe ppv contract signing.  There will be table on a stage, Rick will come out of one side with a briefcase, sit down at the table, Jim Ross will start screaming "OH MAH GAWD ITS MACHADO" and Manny will walk out of the other side of the stage and sit down and sign the contract. 

SURPRISE HARPER RUN IN AFTER THE CONTRACT IS HELD HIGH

It wouldn't be as hard as people think to get Manny there without anyone knowing, WWE does it all the time. Use of the delivery area makes it easy. The weather helps, he could be wearing a ski mask. It's been awhile since i've delivered there but if I remember correctly it's closed off and you need ID to get in. I would imagine people who are there would want to be in the opening ceremony area somewhat before show time. Just have him chill in a car in the dock area until after the ceremony starts. Now the question of why? Multiple reasons. It's a moment! Not only that how many tickets are sold tonight if they announce it?

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's gonna be like a wwe ppv contract signing.  There will be table on a stage, Rick will come out of one side with a briefcase, sit down at the table, Jim Ross will start screaming "OH MAH GAWD ITS MACHADO" and Manny will walk out of the other side of the stage and sit down and sign the contract. 

Someone has to go through the table.

Holding off on Machado isn’t unreasonable if they had a SoxFest deadline for their offer.  Lozano had until now to get more if he could.  Perhaps it became evident even a few weeks ago that no one would beat Sox offer (which I believe is more like 8/250) and everyone prepped for the inevitable.  It’s not holding off announcing a deal, it’s just finalizing and delivering the inevitable news 

1 minute ago, Mooseman said:

It wouldn't be as hard as people think to get Manny there without anyone knowing, WWE does it all the time. Use of the delivery area makes it easy. The weather helps, he could be wearing a ski mask. It's been awhile since i've delivered there but if I remember correctly it's closed off and you need ID to get in. I would imagine people who are there would want to be in the opening ceremony area somewhat before show time. Just have him chill in a car in the dock area until after the ceremony starts. Now the question of why? Multiple reasons. It's a moment! Not only that how many tickets are sold tonight if they announce it?

I would say very few. Most of the people there tonight either already have season tickets, or are people that would but cannot due to life schedules or living out of town...and their ticket office will be closed. Also, individual game tickets are not yet available. 

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

This is also a non football weekend. This would dominate sports news.

Thought about this earlier today. For the first weekend since Labor Day, they don't have football to compete with and have a chance to dominate the sports news cycle. And video of a surprise signing would go viral in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

RIP Spanish announcer's booth

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

RIP Spanish announcer's booth

Ozzie and Kenny are going to hug and act like they're best buddies now....once Ozzie turns his back, KW is going to choke slam him through the table.  As the show goes off the air, he's pointing to the 2005 World Series banner and the camera focuses on his World Series ring.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres