Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, fathom said:

And this is why you don't mess around and get the deal done before other teams jump in.  Let's just hope the Sox didn't get too cute with their negotiations.

Exactly. Sox played hard ball and other team/teams are jumping in now. Whoops. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

This article sounds like an Agent asking for a favor to try and kick up one last offer. This nugget is hilarious...

The Padres became players in the pursuit of Machado a week ago when reports surfaced of a price that was far lower than expected.

Right....they just decided to get involved after hearing they might be able to get him for still at least $28-30 AAV a season. Not likely. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

At 463 pages its time to introduce a new concept into the discussion.  The new tax proposals being floated by a variety of announced candidates propose all kind of new rates on the rich which big time ballplayers will certainly fall into that category.  This is not meant to be political but could be why we may see some new types of structures to these mega deals which would take a lot longer to work out.  Structuring your contract for tax diversification.  Example: May avoid some of the new proposed taxes on super rich which since some talk of 70-90% tax on over 10 million actually makes sense.  (not trying to be political but for some of these guys it would make a lot of sense).  If Manny gets AAV of 30 to make math easier, 70% tax on over 10 million, 30-10= 20x70%=14 million in tax on just that 20!  It would make sense to pay the 20 out over time+/- interest.  Maybe 7 million a year x3 years for each year you defer the 20.  So 8 yr 240 million would actually be 10 million for 8 years then 7 million for 24 years.  If you revert to previous top income tax rates of about 40%, he would save 6 million per year in taxes.  If after the 8 years, you move to a state with no state income tax, the savings would be even greater.  Also as we all have a great feeling about all politicians, once that on over 10 million tax is in place, you can expect politicians to move it lower and lower cause thats what they do!

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

This article sounds like an Agent asking for a favor to try and kick up one last offer. This nugget is hilarious...

The Padres became players in the pursuit of Machado a week ago when reports surfaced of a price that was far lower than expected.

Right....

If I were a GM and I saw that Machado was available for $200 million and not $300 million, I'd be doing everything I could to be in that game. I'm never going to spend money more effectively on the free agent market than that.

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Right....

I don't see why it's that hard to believe.  Say the Padres were looking at Moustakas for like 12 mil a year, but knew he was waiting to pick a team after Manny signed.  If they see that Manny is only being offered 25 mil a year, is it that hard to believe they wouldn't potentially shift their focus (given their minimal payroll and aggressive GM)?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If I were a GM and I saw that Machado was available for $200 million and not $300 million, I'd be doing everything I could to be in that game. I'm never going to spend money more effectively on the free agent market than that.

But he was never available for 200. It has always been 250+ and as many of us here have said 8/280ish is most likely. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Right. This guy's 26 not 30. If now isn't the time to overspend on free agent, when will it be? Seriously, go 10 years/$300m. Would anyone be mad if that ended up being the final number if he accepted it with the Sox? I wouldn't.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

And this is why you don't mess around and get the deal done before other teams jump in.  Let's just hope the Sox didn't get too cute with their negotiations.

Ive been saying this for weeks. When you are the front runner, you want to get the deal done as soon as possible.

14 minutes ago, Baron said:

Remains fine as long as the White Sox are still willing to be the highest offer. 

They’ve been (allegedly) saying and/or acting as if they won’t raise their offer until someone beats it. This is just the inevitable offer that beat it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When it's for a player this caliber, it's pretty hard to close the deal unless it's an overpay. You may be the leader, but what is their motivation to sign unless it's a crazy offer? Wait it out.  

Unless the White Sox were willing to bid against themselves, this was possible. But it still may be all BS.

• Like 2

Just now, DirtySox said:

I reckon it's not that simple when you are dealing with an agent like Lozano.

Im sure there is a price point that gets the deal done. If the Padres report is true, the current offer is significantly lower than what a reasonable team thought Machado would cost.

This is all speculation, but it seems like the Sox were really trying to get a huge discount on a player who is extremely valuable because they thought they were the only game in town.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Ive been saying this for weeks. When you are the front runner, you want to get the deal done as soon as possible.

When Heyman tweeted last week that a mystery team had the highest bid for Manny but it wasn't a preferred location, the Padres seemed like the easy choice.

the Padres are jumping in because the negotiations have been lower than expected. I’m sure the Sox are willing to go much higher than they’ve been throwing around. Not really concerned, maybe get in a little bidding war and wrap this up. 

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Im sure there is a price point that gets the deal done. If the Padres report is true, the current offer is significantly lower than what a reasonable team thought Machado would cost.

This is all speculation, but it seems like the Sox were really trying to get a huge discount on a player who is extremely valuable because they thought they were the only game in town.

I can't see a team going from 0 to $250 million. I would imagine if the Padres are suddenly in, it's at what we all thought would be laughably low when this thing started.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

If they were correct and were the only game in town, what should they have done?  Continue to bid against themselves?

IIRC, Machado has been pretty open about not liking the West Coast because it’s too far away from his family & friends in the DR. 

I don’t doubt the Padres are interested but at least for me, this doesn’t concern me. This may actually help get the price up where a deal can actually be closed sooner rather than later.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres