Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, SoCalSox said:

IIRC, Machado has been pretty open about not liking the West Coast because it’s too far away from his family & friends in the DR. 

I don’t doubt the Padres are interested but at least for me, this doesn’t concern me. This may actually help get the price up where a deal can actually be closed sooner rather than later.

This is all I want at this point. Thank God a new videogame came out today to distract me for the weekend from all of this.

1 minute ago, 103 mph screwball said:

72 degrees in San Diego right now.  I'm interested in signing with the Padres.

For real tho.  San Deigo is fucking awesome city.  Easily one of my favs in the US.  But living in CA and paying those taxes would be awful.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 103 mph screwball said:

72 degrees in San Diego right now.  I'm interested in signing with the Padres.

Being a baseball player on the West Coast is a bit tougher. There is more travel. SD weather is nice, but Manny isn't there during the winter. He's from Miami so hot and humid is probably his thing. Chicago offers that during baseball season.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I can't see a team going from 0 to $250 million. I would imagine if the Padres are suddenly in, it's at what we all thought would be laughably low when this thing started.

My concern is that the reports of $175mil werent as crazy as people thought...

Just now, BamaDoc said:

If they were correct and were the only game in town, what should they have done?  Continue to bid against themselves?

Its not bidding. This isnt an auction where after going three times its sold to the highest bidder. Its a contract negotiation. Im not sure if you ever negotiated a deal like buying a house, but if a house is on the market for $500k and you offer $400k, 9/10 you dont just sit on your offer saying "im not bidding against myself." The 2 parties try to bridge the gap to get a deal that is mutually beneficial. 

Its all speculation, but if the Sox were the front runners, they should be working every day to bridge that gap and get the deal done, irrespective of other offers.

16 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

At 463 pages its time to introduce a new concept into the discussion.  The new tax proposals being floated by a variety of announced candidates propose all kind of new rates on the rich which big time ballplayers will certainly fall into that category.  This is not meant to be political but could be why we may see some new types of structures to these mega deals which would take a lot longer to work out.  Structuring your contract for tax diversification.  Example: May avoid some of the new proposed taxes on super rich which since some talk of 70-90% tax on over 10 million actually makes sense.  (not trying to be political but for some of these guys it would make a lot of sense).  If Manny gets AAV of 30 to make math easier, 70% tax on over 10 million, 30-10= 20x70%=14 million in tax on just that 20!  It would make sense to pay the 20 out over time+/- interest.  Maybe 7 million a year x3 years for each year you defer the 20.  So 8 yr 240 million would actually be 10 million for 8 years then 7 million for 24 years.  If you revert to previous top income tax rates of about 40%, he would save 6 million per year in taxes.  If after the 8 years, you move to a state with no state income tax, the savings would be even greater.  Also as we all have a great feeling about all politicians, once that on over 10 million tax is in place, you can expect politicians to move it lower and lower cause thats what they do!

I wonder if you can have a yearly player option on having a portion of your salary deferred?  In the above situation a stipulation of 30 or 10 with 20 deferred payable at 7 per for three years after contract ends.  Would give the player some tax options.  Shouldn't matter in first couple years so maybe a player would want a really front loaded contract?  Think about it a player/agent probably would prefer front loaded.

20 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

At 463 pages its time to introduce a new concept into the discussion.  The new tax proposals being floated by a variety of announced candidates propose all kind of new rates on the rich which big time ballplayers will certainly fall into that category.  This is not meant to be political but could be why we may see some new types of structures to these mega deals which would take a lot longer to work out.  Structuring your contract for tax diversification.  Example: May avoid some of the new proposed taxes on super rich which since some talk of 70-90% tax on over 10 million actually makes sense.  (not trying to be political but for some of these guys it would make a lot of sense).  If Manny gets AAV of 30 to make math easier, 70% tax on over 10 million, 30-10= 20x70%=14 million in tax on just that 20!  It would make sense to pay the 20 out over time+/- interest.  Maybe 7 million a year x3 years for each year you defer the 20.  So 8 yr 240 million would actually be 10 million for 8 years then 7 million for 24 years.  If you revert to previous top income tax rates of about 40%, he would save 6 million per year in taxes.  If after the 8 years, you move to a state with no state income tax, the savings would be even greater.  Also as we all have a great feeling about all politicians, once that on over 10 million tax is in place, you can expect politicians to move it lower and lower cause thats what they do!

70%+ tax is not happening. 

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well, looks like they won't be in long then.

Why should the Padres take us seriously?  Atleast there's some history that the Padres will actually pony up. 

Edited by Baron

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres