Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Baron said:

He's just setting himself up for the "Hey fans...we deserve credit for trying" excuse that Gar/Pax try to use. It doesn't work Rick. 

There's literally nothing else he can say except "no comment." You guys can all panic if and when Manny signs elsewhere. Until then, chill.

1 minute ago, Roughneck said:

There's literally nothing else he can say except "no comment." You guys can all panic if and when Manny signs elsewhere. Until then, chill.

I've never been panicking at any point in this process. 

I'm just not impressed with the "Hey we actually got a seat at the table this year!". Sorry but he's not getting credit if he doesn't convert on either player. 

Edited by Baron

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

There was always going to be a meltdown if they didn't get one of the two after the optimism they expressed at the Winter Meetings.  Considering they've since added Jay and Alonso and the Yankees went after someone else, it will be incredibly ugly.

especially if it's the gd padres

So, I have not posted in over 5 years and have been checking in from time to time ever since.... This whole Manny situation actually got me re-energized for the White Sox and the future to come. I had season tickets with them from 2000- 2010 and finally decided enough was enough when they raised my prices a the same time putting a Minor League club on the field.  I don't feel as though a Manny signing would take place at SoxFest so I would not be let down if it did not happen this weekend.  Where I do feel let down is that this organization has lost a number of true loyal fans over the course of a short time span.  A move such as signing a Manny or Harper and being so open about the intentions of the organization to finally move into getting competitive and not just a team on the rebuild provided a lot of hope for the fringe fans that were sick of seeing garbage season after season.  It is sad to think that back in the early 2000's I use to average 40 home games a season and to realize that I have stepped into the park less then 10 times in the past 5 seasons is unreal.  To see Rick come out and basically say, we gave it our all and we will see how the cards fall is another major red flag with this organization.  I feel as though every year over the past few years there have been tons of smoke and mirrors within the organization saying we going to spend big and be competitive and we end up, as always, with James Shields and his inability to make it out of the 4th inning without giving up 2-4 runs!  

Thank you for listening... I will now creep back into the shadows!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm getting the same impression, although not surprised by the negativity 

2 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

People were (wrongly) expecting an announcement today.

The Sox had Yonder Alonso calling unpaid season ticket holders saying:  "It is going to be surprising, lots of surprises" and "Who knows, he might be my neighbor".  That is bananas.  You have to convert if that is the stuff you are pulling.  

Don't blame fan(atics) for being antsy.  This is (evidently) what the front office wanted.  They wanted the hype.  Well they've got it.  

• Like 2

Just now, fathom said:

I'm not more or less optimistic about their chances after what Hahn said.  I just hate the whole "progress cause we're at the table" crap they've said a few times of late.  

It's dumb but do you expect the guy to come out and say that this was an organizational failure if they don't sign him? They have to at least try to spin it.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I'm not more or less optimistic about their chances after what Hahn said.  I just hate the whole "progress cause we're at the table" crap they've said a few times of late.  

Yeah. To me the whole thing is a negative if they don't land a whale. You potentially have a narrative that 'players won't come here even with gobs of money thrown at them' that could develop.

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

People were (wrongly) expecting an announcement today.

The Sox had Yonder Alonso calling unpaid season ticket holders saying:  "It is going to be surprising, lots of surprises" and "Who knows, he might be my neighbor".  That is bananas.  You have to convert if that is the stuff you are pulling.  

Don't blame fan(atics) for being antsy.  This is (evidently) what the front office wanted.  They wanted the hype.  Well they've got it.  

Still an hour to go until the opening ceremonies. That's where its be announced. Not that I expect it to...

1 minute ago, mqr said:

It's dumb but do you expect the guy to come out and say that this was an organizational failure if they don't sign him? They have to at least try to spin it.

I don't understand the idea that there is only one way to express things or another way.

They can say they are intent on adding productive long term value in every avenue possible and this year offers a unique opportunity we are dedicating ourselves as an organization to while not saying "but hey, just trying is pretty cool to!", i'd rather he just say "but we are dedicated to building an overwhelming array of talent period, no matter the avenue, and free agency isn't the only way to do that."

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

I don't understand the idea that there is only one way to express things or another way.

They can say they are intent on adding productive long term value in every avenue possible and this year offers a unique opportunity we are dedicating ourselves as an organization to while not saying "but hey, just trying is pretty cool to!", i'd rather he just say "but we are dedicated to building an overwhelming array of talent period, no matter the avenue, and free agency isn't the only way to do that."

I do agree, but with the way the media and even the team's own fans treated their chances at landing a whale back before November, I would probably be tempted to boast like that if I were him as well

Just now, fathom said:

"we've done everything we can to try and get X player".....end of story

No fathom, you can either get a good gm that is bad at comms, or a bad gm that is bad at comms, no gms are allowed to be good at this!

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's how we know were close though 

it being 'progress that we're at the table' is truth. We may hate the optics of that but the core reality is that we're more involved in this fight for the FAs and that is a good thing, not a bad thing.

if a listener of that is more of a 'wake me when it's done' person, then great, and social media/message boards are not the ideal medium perhaps for that person, but it is valid to feel that way

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres