Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Is there a chance that the deadline on the Sox offer was last night?  And at the last minute someone offered more and kind of reset the whole process?

Just spitballing on how Yonder went from telling fans to be ready to be surprised to "I can't talk about stuff that may or may not happen".... this is obviously taking into consideration that both statements were genuine when made.

There's no way there was a deadline.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

5 min in and I can feel the somber mood in the room lol

And very few members browsing. I don’t mean to be dramatic, but the anger and resentment from the fan base is going to be gigantic if we miss on both. I really don’t know that the FO fully comprehends this.

• Like 1

I don't think Hahn is going to have the public position that we will pay whatever it takes to get our targets, so whether he is optimistic or pessimistic he has to acknowledge the possibility they miss out and be prepared to put a positive (if lame) spin on it.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:54 PM, GREEDY said:

They will cover what people want to listen too.  They are in the business of making money.  

Legally they also have a responsibility to "serve the public" as well as be fair and as impartial as possible. Hell I learned that stuff my first year in broadcast law class. 

27 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Right. 

Have you guys ever done an auction fantasy baseball league? Sometimes a good player falls through the cracks because the most of the league settled their guys at that position early, and so it looks like the team that waited is about to get a good deal. 

But then one or two other dudes in the league say, “I don’t need another second baseman, but if he’s going to go THAT low, I’m in.”

And then what happens is the player ends up going for pretty much what the projected value was. San Diego is playing “price cop”

THAT low?

Come on - even $175 million would be tied for the 22nd largest contract in sports history. 

Anything north of $217 million is top ten. 

I don’t think your auction league analogy is a particularly good one, because no matter what is going on, this is going to be one of the two biggest sports contracts of 2019 and one of the biggest ever. 

I don’t buy it. The Padres are not just going to suddenly wake up with $175 million to throw at a player because it’s “that low”

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Legally they also have a responsibility to "serve the public" as well as be fair and as impartial as possible. Hell I learned that stuff my first year in broadcast law class. 

Yes, my first journalism class I learned the first rule is to cover sponsored pr events absolutely, without any interruptions.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:25 PM, bmags said:

Yes, my first journalism class I learned the first rule is to cover sponsored pr events absolutely, without any interruptions.

If what the person who originally posted is accurate then I'd be pissed to if I were a Sox fan. Covering Theo's entire presser and giving the Sox one question for basically the same type venue is flat out wrong. I get it, they are the Cubs station but not everyone who listens to their station is a Cub fan...if they decide those folks aren't worth the trouble they are risking alienating a percentage of possible listeners and that does cut into the bottom line / making money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If what the person who originally posted is accurate then I'd be pissed to if I were a Sox fan. Covering Theo's entire presser and giving the Sox one question for basically the same type venue is flat out wrong. I get it, they are the Cubs station but not everyone who listens to their station is a Cub fan...if they decide those folks aren't worth the trouble they are risking alienating a percentage of possible listeners and that does cut into the bottom line / making money.

They make money off actual Cubs games. They want as many people as possible interested in tuning into cubs games. Hell, they have gone as far as trying to convince Sox fans to root for the Cubs. They certainly don't have an obligation,  legal or moral, to behave otherwise.

If that bothers you, stop listening. They don't owe you anything.

Edited by mqr

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sox fans: This franchise is awful. No one should show up, ever. JR is robbing us. Remember the failure of 1977?

Also Sox fans: Why do the Cubs have 2 inches more coverage in the Cubune? Think of all of the fans this will cost us! It's not fair!

I am just surprised they didn’t have any huge announcement. This is Soxfest afterall. You know, the place they announced the name change to US Cellular Field?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sox fans: This franchise is awful. No one should show up, ever. JR is robbing us. Remember the failure of 1977?

Also Sox fans: Why do the Cubs have 2 inches more coverage in the Cubune? Think of all of the fans this will cost us! It's not fair!

Not all Sox fans are the same and it’s kind of shitty you just lump us all in together.  Maybe you should call out the individuals making hypocritical statements rather than use broad stereotypes to insult us all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I am just surprised they didn’t have any huge announcement. This is Soxfest afterall. You know, the place they announced the name change to US Cellular Field?

I am surprised you are paying any attention to this meaningless event at all.  After all, it isn't important enough for anything to happen there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

They make money off actual Cubs games. They want as many people as possible interested in tuning into cubs games. Hell, they have gone as far as trying to convince Sox fans to root for the Cubs. They certainly don't have an obligation,  legal or moral, to behave otherwise.

If that bothers you, stop listening. They don't owe you anything.

When they had Sox games, it was a garbage network, staffed largely by scumbags with poor understandings of sports, which did its best to diminish the Sox, put down the franchise and talk about anything else, including fluffing the Cubs. Even in down years for the Cubs, they got way more talk on the Score. Why would anybody think things would change when they started broadcasting Cubs games instead?

While the Score jerks themselves off over being the "#1 sports station in Chicago," they are the 18th radio station in the city overall. That's insane for such a sports-crazy city as Chicago, but there's a good reason for that. The Score sucks and ESPN barely tries to cover Chicago sports. As much as radio is a cesspool everywhere, I swear that someone could easily put together a Chicago sports station which would destroy the Score. Then again, right off the bat it would probably bring in "Chicago personalities" like Dan McNeil.

14 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Yea, Alonso is gonna have one awful time here if Manny doesnt sign with us.

He's gonna have an awful time here because he sucks. He's a freaking first baseman whose career high in home runs until two years ago was nine. He had a good half-season to start 2017 in Oakland, and the rest of his career has been terrible. He had a .738 OPS last year. At first freaking base.

If we don't sign Manny, I hope we DFA him. Of course, we won't do that, and we'll all sit around wondering why we continue to blow.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres