Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I will, but I honestly don’t know what else could be up his sleeve if they miss out on Machado or Harper. Moustakas? Keuchel? I don’t know.

Theres nothing if they miss on them. And tbh no one else really makes sense besides those guys and another SP

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I don’t get the argument that if the Sox were rejected this year, it would bode well for future years of being at the table for those future years. Players could just chose other teams even if we offered the most. I can’t see why the Sox would want to go after mega deals unless it was for Arenado or pitchers like  Sale.

Rick Hahn has to say something. He isn't going to no comment and he can't say that he deserves to be fired if he doesn't sign one of them. Even if the statement is BS he has to say it. 

The Sox are going to get Machado it’s just a matter of how much and when. Every Yankee “source” specifically NYYNEWS.com are just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. If this were the White Sox of lets say 5 years ago I’d give them no chance in hell to actually get Machado and I’d say he’s only using the Sox as leverage but that’s not the case. He would like to join the Sox but wants to get paid, none of us can blame him. When it’s all said and done the deal is gonna get done and he’ll be playing 3B for the Sox next season. Bank on it, I don’t have sources I’m not an insider but just hang in there Sox fans it’s gonna happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Rick Hahn has to say something. He isn't going to no comment and he can't say that he deserves to be fired if he doesn't sign one of them. Even if the statement is BS he has to say it. 

I almost wish he would have said, “We feel good about where we are at” and lie to us rather than issue the statement he did today.

9 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

The Sox are going to get Machado it’s just a matter of how much and when. Every Yankee “source” specifically NYYNEWS.com are just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. If this were the White Sox of lets say 5 years ago I’d give them no chance in hell to actually get Machado and I’d say he’s only using the Sox as leverage but that’s not the case. He would like to join the Sox but wants to get paid, none of us can blame him. When it’s all said and done the deal is gonna get done and he’ll be playing 3B for the Sox next season. Bank on it, I don’t have sources I’m not an insider but just hang in there Sox fans it’s gonna happen.

This is exactly how I feel. 

25 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I will, but I honestly don’t know what else could be up his sleeve if they miss out on Machado or Harper. Moustakas? Keuchel? I don’t know.

If you’re Moustakas or Keuchel, why would you choose the White Sox over a team like the Padres where it’s warm year around? It would be different if the Sox were on the cusp of winning, but we aren’t there yet. The Sox would have to offer way more money to lure them here. That’s why the whole 7/$175MM scares me. I don’t think the team can afford to lowball anybody. 

• Haha 2

Joc is on hold til Machado is assured. Our entire decision to have a slight win-now feel in Year 1 is based on Manny. It's the domino that has to fall. Then we probably see Joc via trade and maybe a starting pitcher in some form or another, and that's the roster.

If no Manny, no Bryce, then we just go win-later and pick up another Madrigal type in the next draft.

This would be fine too, as Astros and Cubs fans have found.

Edited by Princess Dye

2 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Joc is on hold til Machado is assured. Our entire decision to have a slight win-now feel in Year 1 is based on Manny. It's the domino that has to fall. Then we probably see Joc via trade and maybe a starting pitcher in some form or another, and that's the roster.

If no Manny, no Bryce, then we just go win-later and pick up another Madrigal type in the next draft.

If the Dodgers really are insistent that they need to move this player, they are unlikely to sit there waiting several weeks for the White Sox to make up their mind. 

10 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

If you’re Moustakas or Keuchel, why would you choose the White Sox over a team like the Padres where it’s warm year around? 

I never understand this logic. Its cold for a month maybe during the season? Weather is not a deciding factor for a baseball player who plays 140 games all during the summer. Then live in Florida or Arizona like most baseball players in the off-season.

17 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

If you’re Moustakas or Keuchel, why would you choose the White Sox over a team like the Padres where it’s warm year around? It would be different if the Sox were on the cusp of winning, but we aren’t there yet. The Sox would have to offer way more money to lure them here. That’s why the whole 7/$175MM scares me. I don’t think the team can afford to lowball anybody. 

Mous played in KC (obviously not by choice, but still) so it's not like he's allergic to weather.  

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The funny thing is all I do is prove it over and over again,  which is why so many people from Soxtalk can’t understand my weird take on Sox fans, and therefore argue with me which looks like they are stalking me, but they are really just calling me out on the ridiculousness of my arguments, and every single time, actually proving me wrong

11 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

It's not like he had a choice.

32 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Mous played in KC (obviously not by choice, but still) so it's not like he's allergic to weather.  

Yes, I'm aware...I literally wrote the same thing lol.  My point of him not being allergic to weather remains in tact. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If the Dodgers really are insistent that they need to move this player, they are unlikely to sit there waiting several weeks for the White Sox to make up their mind. 

Takes two to complete a deal. If Sox have the high offer they hold the cards. 

Meanwhile the Dodgers offseason is wrapping up and the OF glut is to be decreased but that's not a panic need. We've worked w/ them before and the relationship seems good.

13 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

Takes two to complete a deal. If Sox have the high offer they hold the cards

Meanwhile the Dodgers offseason is wrapping up and the OF glut is to be decreased but that's not a panic need. We've worked w/ them before and the relationship seems good.

It is simply unbelievable that the offers discussed in this thread are the high offer. The excuse other people gave for why the Dodgers would accept such crappy offers is that the Dodgers might not want to trade him to someone they could contend with next year. That the Dodgers would wait several weeks to accept such crappy offers, when the rest of the league should come forward with better offers for this player? Implausible. 

If we were putting up a strong offer, led by someone like Basabe or Dunning, the Dodgers would absolutely wait for that. Fulmer and Bummer and a minor 3rd piece and the Dodgers are going to wait for that? No they won't. One of those players they might get by the deadline this year if the White Sox need a roster spot. If the Dodgers would have actually done that and the White Sox were ready to trade away anyone at all, the White Sox should have gotten it done. The offers in this thread that people are so enthused about, it didn't make sense that the Dodgers would accept something so weak for this player, and then on top of that White Sox would hesitate on completing it to wait on another deal and the Dodgers will just accept that? Just not plausible. 

No one in this thread has been willing to part with someone from our strong prospects for him. If the White Sox aren't willing to part with that they they don't have the high offer. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Claims that there were rumblings Today that the Sox will not go 30 mil or more a season. Idk how reliable he is. If this is true, I’m done.

From the beginning of this offseason's pursuit of both Machado and Bryce Harper, the feeling here was the Sox were not going to be able to match the expected $300 million-plus offers both 26-year-old superstars are expected to bank.

That feeling has not changed, even with the White Sox apparently narrowing their sights down to just Machado.

The Padres are now reportedly in on the four-time all star, and they have plenty of money to make a deal.

So do the Sox, but there were some rumblings Friday that they're not willing to go $30 million or more a season for Machado.” 

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I. Dont. Believe. Anything.

Yup, at this point -- I don't believe a damn thing anyone posts. I will, however, believe that the FO is a bunch of jackasses if they miss out on Machado and the reason turns out to be because they didn't go bigger in terms of $$.

That is an unforgivable sin at this stage and one that would eliminate me from this fan base.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Claims that there were rumblings Today that the Sox will not go 30 mil or more a season. Idk how reliable he is. If this is true, I’m done.

It’s hard to believe it’s true, but Gregor has been consistent with this.  It would be sick if it’s accurate.  You don’t spend 13 million on recruiting tools just to act cheap. I would gladly just take back every mediocre move they’ve made this offseason and just add that money to Manny. 

36 minutes ago, Orlando said:

From the beginning of this offseason's pursuit of both Machado and Bryce Harper, the feeling here was the Sox were not going to be able to match the expected $300 million-plus offers both 26-year-old superstars are expected to bank.

That feeling has not changed, even with the White Sox apparently narrowing their sights down to just Machado.

The Padres are now reportedly in on the four-time all star, and they have plenty of money to make a deal.

So do the Sox, but there were some rumblings Friday that they're not willing to go $30 million or more a season for Machado.” 

It's actually funny how every single sentence here is false 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres