Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Was talking about the good people in the clubhouse and said he's excited with him and Jay and "whoever else is coming" and laughed

I feel like I am either delusional and taking things as I want them to be or these guys know this is going to happen. They seem so confident one second with all the innuendo and doubtful the next. Wtf 

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

I feel like I am either delusional and taking things as I want them to be or these guys know this is going to happen. They seem so confident one second with all the innuendo and doubtful the next. Wtf 

I feel the same way. The way these guys are talking it’s almost as if in the same interview they go from optomistic to pessimistic.

Edited by Orlando

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

Yeah if you didn't know better, you would think Yonder knows the Sox are getting Manny after listening to that podcast.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Hahn droning on and on about his effort and the value of just being at the table for "premium talent" seemed to me like he's trying to soften the landing in case we don't sign him; not that we wouldn't sign him.  I hope.

This being at the table has me confused. Did it take until after the 2018 season for the White Sox to learn all players will “invite them to the table” if they are willing to pay the rate it takes to sign them?

Are White Sox fans supposed to take out of this good players will actually listen to the White Sox ifthey make competitive offers as a feather in their cap?

No wonder the Cubs own this town. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He has to have at least some inkling to where he is going to end up. I find it impossible to believe they haven’t discussed it.

He would have to have more than an inkling really. The only way he wouldn’t is if he was one of the extended family members that you really aren’t that cool with. If that was the case they wouldn’t be workout buddies tho. 

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

He would have to have more than an inkling really. The only way he wouldn’t is if he was one of the extended family members that you really aren’t that cool with. If that was the case they wouldn’t be workout buddies tho. 

Yea your probably right. Good friends, close family, workout buddies, work in the same industry. There’s so much to like there. I’m sure he’s given Machado space to do his thing, but there’s no way it hasn’t come up in conversation. And that’s not even throwing Jay into the mix.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Yea your probably right. Good friends, close family, workout buddies, work in the same industry. There’s so much to like there. I’m sure he’s given Machado space to do his thing, but there’s no way it hasn’t come up in conversation. And that’s not even throwing Jay into the mix.

Of course the value of being teammates with workout buddies is for 1 season.

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This being at the table has me confused. Did it take until after the 2018 season for the White Sox to learn all players will “invite them to the table” if they are willing to pay the rate it takes to sign them?

Are White Sox fans supposed to take out of this good players will actually listen to the White Sox ifthey make competitive offers as a feather in their cap?

Bah, until Machado actually signs somewhere all of these are rehearsed PR firm statements. They're statements to make so they can say something without saying anything. Criticize if they say that after losing the player. 

48 minutes ago, fathom said:

Was talking about the good people in the clubhouse and said he's excited with him and Jay and "whoever else is coming" and laughed

Almost sounded like to me like he almost slipped up and included mannys name when he was saying he’s excited with him and Jay and.....like he had to stop from saying Manny.

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yep.  It’s starting to sound less like baseball and more like an episode of the bachelor...only a matter of time till Hahn gives Alonso his first White Sox assignment:  delivering (to Manny) a folded up note containing the key to his fantasy suite... 

18 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Of course the value of being teammates with workout buddies is for 1 season.

Yeah, during the one season that the team and talent surrounding the super star player is it’s worst. There has to be some bridge to get Manny through the likely less comptetitive season. The Sox played it well if Manny signs. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think a right-handed bench piece makes the most sense.  No room for another reliever to a guaranteed contract.

If Machado were added, this bench is pretty full. Engel, Leury, Rondon, Yolmer, backup catcher - there's already got to be an odd person out, and that's before the OF we were considering in the other thread that would move Palka to the bench or minors. You're not going to improve that bench very much.

1 minute ago, AJ123 said:

Moustakas. Wouldn’t shock me if that was the backup plan.

I think once Machado signs, Moustakas may be heavily sought after and get a significant guarantee. Especially if the Padres sign Machado. I don’t think the Sox will bite.

9 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Another bullpen piece I would guess 

I just don’t see how there’s room.  Herrera, Colome, Jones, & Fry are locks for the OD roster.  Hamilton and one of Frare/Bummer should also get spots.  That’s six spots pretty much accounted for already plus another half dozen or so options on the 40 man, including Banuelos & Minaya who are both out of options.  Seems like adding another reliever to a major league contract would be diminishing returns at this point.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres