Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I'd hope the Sox sign both,  but if they only sign one, I would rather it would be Harper.  There's no reason they shouldn't be the high bidder for both when all is said and done.

I don't think spending 70-80M annually for two players on a team thats payroll has never gone above 128M is the wisest idea. I'm happy the Sox aren't getting both.

Hahn implied in one of his comments yesterday that the Padres' interest may have been long-stemming and that Lozano has just been keeping it in his back pocket for awhile. That kind of baffles me though as I am not sure who that benefits. Players union would not love that as they surely want to get 100 free agents jobs and have the market set with the big ones signed.

9 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I don't think spending 70-80M annually for two players on a team thats payroll has never gone above 128M is the wisest idea. I'm happy the Sox aren't getting both.

Seems like a defeatist attitude.

Payroll is so low and inflation will allow White Sox to break that 128M by quite a bit. Market is low on Harper/Machado, now would be a great time to strike for both of them.

You shouldn't be so quick to let the front office pocket the money. Let's see results.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I agree with you completely but I really hope the Sox are ready to blow that previous high out the water. I want 170/180 payrolls when this team is in its competitive window.of course hopefully with players that are possible final pieces for a championship and not a couple Jason Heywards

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Manny: He's gotta sign somewhere soon...right?
3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Payroll is so low and inflation will allow White Sox to break that 128M by quite a bit. Market is low on Harper/Machado, now would be a great time to strike for both of them.

You shouldn't be so quick to let the front office pocket the money. Let's see results.

This is very short sighted. If the Sox are going to have money in the future to lock up players as well as sign future free agents then spending 70-80M annually for two players makes little sense. 

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

How can we strike for both when it seems we can't get one?

3 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

This is very short sighted. If the Sox are going to have money in the future to lock up players as well as sign future free agents then spending 70-80M annually for two players makes little sense. 

It wouldn't be "$70 to *$80 Million annually". Isn't it more likely $65 Million to $75 Million? Nevertheless, that is a lot, for just 2 players.

8 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I agree with you completely but I really hope the Sox are ready to blow that previous high out the water. I want 170/180 payrolls when this team is in its competitive window.of course hopefully with players that are possible final pieces for a championship and not a couple Jason Heywards

Ha ha Same here. Id rather see the sox learn from the mistakes other teams have made in the past. Just look at the wasted money in the link below. They easily could have had Harper had they spent their money more wisely in the past. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/chicago-cubs-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Stick with the rebuild.  Don't spend money on mediocre free agents. That's what had the Sox stuck in mediocrity. 

Stars or stick with the rebuild

With the young talent within the organization the Sox had  better not be stuck in mediocrity in the future. And yes with Manny, it would be nice to add a player of his caliber to our starting lineup! But geez, this is wearing me out!

6 minutes ago, sox71 said:

I don’t think Machado is coming but I agree with all that I do not want Hahn to make a move just for the sake of it.  Have a plan.  This could still go on for weeks. 

I would take moustakas on a cheap 2 year deal if he is available. Yolmer is super sub they get a bit more WaR in the infield. I feel bad for all the guys waiting on harpchado. Destroyed their market.

42 minutes ago, sox71 said:

I don’t think Machado is coming but I agree with all that I do not want Hahn to make a move just for the sake of it.  Have a plan.  This could still go on for weeks. 

So I read on MLB.com that SD wants to meet with Machado possibly in Miami. They want some face time to determine what their interest will be. If this was posted earlier, sorry. This truly could go on  for weeks and weeks and weeks!!

Edited by Saufley

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres