Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still think Machado is ours to lose at this point, but San Diego would be the absolute worst team to beat us out for his services, at least for our front office.  Manny playing next to #hewhoshallnotbenamed would be a constant reminder of their failures.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the junk! And wait till the interleague games against them. What fun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shipps said:

FO’s are almost always extremely self aware and totally understand that manipulating the fans expectations are very important. If Hahn had a shadow of doubt that it would get done I would think he would have been smart enough to never give an inkling of real confidence that it would eventually get done.

He had a few moments in the past couple days that he did seem all to cocky about it. He knows that the slightest hint can lead the fan base to have high expectations. If they don’t sign him Hahn really messed this up even worse than what it had to be. 

yep, if you take a step back, some of the comments would almost be trolling that have been made by Hahn and Alonso.

8 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

If anyone knows about striking out, it's Yoan.

Jokes aside, I'm glad he is trying for us here.

Call me crazy, but I think Moncada and Giolito are going to show Sox fans why they were once top 3 prospects in the game this year. Did anyone else listen to LG on the Score yesterday? He says he can still hit 97 when his mechanics aren't out of whack.  It is painfully obvious he's been fighting his delivery for the better part of 3 seasons since Washington tinkered with it. Perfect example of if it isn't broken, don't fix it. It also sounded like he had a healthy amount of confidence in his ability and has the right attitude about last year. He also mentioned that he's seeing a sports psychologist. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think we actually offered him a 280 million dollar deal and told him to shop around and come back with his best offer. I just don't see anyway he is face timing with our guys at Sox Fest if there wasnt good vibes for both sides. 

I truly believe he wants to play for the Sox (assuming the Yankees are out), but the money has to be right.  Just got to hope we’re prepared to match any other bids that come in.

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Call me crazy, but I think Moncada and Giolito are going to show Sox fans why they were once top 3 prospects in the game this year. Did anyone else listen to LG on the Score yesterday? He says he can still hit 97 when his mechanics aren't out of whack.  It is painfully obvious he's been fighting his delivery for the better part of 3 seasons since Washington tinkered with it. Perfect example of if it isn't broken, don't fix it. It also sounded like he had a healthy amount of confidence in his ability and has the right attitude about last year. He also mentioned that he's seeing a sports psychologist. 

Our players are seeing psychologists? I will need a psychologist if Sox do not sign Machado and/or Harper.

9 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

It's becoming clear to me that these situations are going to drag into the regular season without being resolved.

Brother, I will make a $100 bet that doesnt happen. Loser meets winner at winners favorite watering hole with the $$$

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I truly believe he wants to play for the Sox (assuming the Yankees are out), but the money has to be right.  Just got to hope we’re prepared to match any other bids that come in.

And the opt outs have to be right. I’m guessing Manny’s side is asking for an opt out after 3 years, and we aren’t giving him that. That’s where the creative clauses come into play. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada, sure.

Giolito hasn't been trending upward for nearly 4 years now. His fastball was his best pitch and he's lost it. Mechanics arent pulling 5 mph off per pitch. I am not a giolito believer. I certainly hope I'm wrong but for as optimistic as I am about Lopez and his progress last year (which was huge the past two months) I am as pessimistic about giolito. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

And the opt outs have to be right. I’m guessing Manny’s side is asking for an opt out after 3 years, and we aren’t giving him that. That’s where the creative clauses come into play. 

Yeah I agree. Right now I think it's all about the opt outs. Hahn even said this weekend that its more than the financial considerations. 

Edited by smellysox

2 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Yeah I agree. Right now I think it's all about the opt outs. Hahn even said this weekend that its more than financial considerations. 

Yep. And right after that, a story leaks about how the Padres are offering a deal with an opt out after three years. 

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada, sure.

Giolito hasn't been trending upward for nearly 4 years now. His fastball was his best pitch and he's lost it. Mechanics arent pulling 5 mph off per pitch. I am not a giolito believer. I certainly hope I'm wrong but for as optimistic as I am about Lopez and his progress last year (which was huge the past two months) I am as pessimistic about giolito. 

If you watched him pitch last season it was obvious mechanics cost him 5mph. When he was staying closed in his delivery he was hitting mid 90s (topping at 97) regularly, when he was out of sync and flying open he was 89-92. I know I'm beating a dead horse with the board on him, but if Giolito wasn't completely broken he wouldn't have been available in trade. He was obviously a project. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

26 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I think we actually offered him a 280 million dollar deal and told him to shop around and come back with his best offer. I just don't see anyway he is face timing with our guys at Sox Fest if there wasnt good vibes for both sides. 

He's face timing his brother in law. No matter the team he signs with, he wouldn't begin to hate his brother in law over it. I wouldn't think who he face times makes any difference.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He's face timing his brother in law. No matter the team he signs with, he wouldn't begin to hate his brother in law over it. I wouldn't think who he face times makes any difference.

Yonder wouldn't be face timing him right before the ceremonies if he didn't think they had a shot at him.  There's absolutely no reason for him to do that and share it with the public then.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you watched him pitch last season it was obvious mechanics cost him 5mph. When he was staying closed in his delivery he was hitting mid 90s (topping at 97) regularly, when he was out of sync and flying open he was 89-92. I know I'm beating a dead horse with the board on him, but if Giolito wasn't completely broken he wouldn't have been available in trade. He was obviously a project. 

His max last year was 96.7 with an average fastball at 92.6. That is standard difference between max and average. Lucas does not throw 97 mph anymore consistently - it's not his mechanics.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yonder wouldn't be face timing him right before the ceremonies if he didn't think they had a shot at him.  There's absolutely no reason for him to do that and share it with the public then.

His brother in law can facetime with him whenever he wants. Machado isn't going to start to ignore his facetime requests if he starts to lean toward Philly or SD.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres