Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

30 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Then let's see him do something with Fulmer and Giolito.
Sox pitching hasn't exactly been top shelf.

He's not going to make everyone great.

His work with Lopez, Quintana, and Sale was OK. He was pretty impressive with Kahnle and Swarzak. Cooper has more actual success stories (guys who sucked and then turned it around) than most any pitching coach.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Cooper isn't a fan of all the new-aged stuff...he just wants to see his starters go 6 innings

Of course the new-aged stuff is decidedly anti-sinker, in which case not teaching him a sinker makes Coop new school!

I'm surprised to hear that the new pitching philosophy does not like the sinker. What is the rationale behind that? I always considered it a very effective pitch, resulting in lots of ground balls. I remember when our family had our Atec Casey Pitching Machine, no one could ever square up sinkers. I'll have to Google this one, as I'm quite curious.

2 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

That's something that is not up to Cooper, a front office lays out the plans for pitcher usage. I think Cooper's track record in having success with pitchers who were challenged, to say the least, to have any semblance of repeatable mechanics or command speaks for itself.

If they do, that's a poor model. Of course, that could explain why so many pitchers are getting hurt the last few years.

9 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm surprised to hear that the new pitching philosophy does not like the sinker. What is the rationale behind that? I always considered it a very effective pitch, resulting in lots of ground balls. I remember when our family had our Atec Casey Pitching Machine, no one could ever square up sinkers. I'll have to Google this one, as I'm quite curious.

I really have zero stats or reasoning behind this, but I will just take a stab at it. Maybe (besides the fact that sinkers and sliders put strain on the elbow) it has to do with the new found desire to have crazy launch angles from hitters. Perhaps even if the pitch itself is harder to hit, the natural dip of the pitch might be a bad thing if a hitter displays serious launch angle and gets ahold of one. I'm just spitballin for the sake of conversation.

Edited by Ross Gload Fan

I have no idea whether or not that has any validity at all but it would make an awful lot of sense considering the obvious hints they did drop at soxfest. That all stuck with me as someone who is excited to tell people awesome news but know they can’t quite yet. 

Too bad there really are no good sources with this. Hahn and company have kept the negotiations under wraps. I’m starting to believe the only people that know anything are the negotiators and player, that’s it. And maybe Alonso. Lol 

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres