Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Do we really believe that despite what Rick says,  Lozano isnt smart enough to know that the fans will revolt? He has leverage already.

He almost certainly is smart enough to know that. That still doesn't make it wise to publicly admit that you're in deep if you fail to get the guy.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He might not have been ready for that one but the best answer he could have given was "Our fans will be happy if we put a championship team on the field, we do feel Machado can be a part of that but our fans will not be satisfied until we reach that goal". 

Thank you!!!

Everyone keeps saying that Hahn can't say stuff in the media because it give Lozano leverage. I don't think that makes sense. If the average fan can see that the Sox are bending over backwards to sign Manny, Lozano can too. Hahn saying that "we have had a good off season just ask someone outside of the org!" and "Our fans wont be disapointed!" isn't going to bamboozle Lozano to take a lesser offer.

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol its amazing how irrational people are. Take a step back pal.

Why irrational?? It's just a point of view and maybe some of us, more than others, have been through some real years of disappointment. Hopes were set high not long ago and hopefully the signings we wanted will happen and maybe they won't. All opinions are welcome.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox are at the table. We should all be thrilled. Actually signing means nothing.

That said, I don't know how people conclude anything from these quotes. Hahn is actually complementing the fan base for not acting like a psycho took out their entire family if Manny goes elsewhere. I doubt anything has changed regarding his status since Thursday or Friday when it was assumed he would be a Soxfest surprise. 

Besides, everyone said Levine was full of crap when he mentioned the Sox offer. If SD suddenly enters the fray, doesn't it mean an 8 year $250 million offer really isn't on the table and Levine was probably correct? If they were willing to go there, why wouldn't they have been in since the beginning?

image.jpeg

Those are some big baby blues. This means the Sox are signing both Machado and Harper, right?

4 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Why irrational?? It's just a point of view and maybe some of us, more than others, have been through some real years of disappointment. Hopes were set high not long ago and hopefully the signings we wanted will happen and maybe they won't. All opinions are welcome.

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I'm 31 years old. Probably not the oldest but certainly not some infant fan - 3 decades of pain is real. 

Theres no point in getting emotional or concerned about some dumb quotes on the radio this morning. It means nothing and the sox are clearly still heavily invested in acquiring manny.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Everyone keeps saying that Hahn can't say stuff in the media because it give Lozano leverage. I don't think that makes sense. If the average fan can see that the Sox are bending over backwards to sign Manny, Lozano can too. Hahn saying that "we have had a good off season just ask someone outside of the org!" and "Our fans wont be disapointed!" isn't going to bamboozle Lozano to take a lesser offer.

Other than no-name randos on social media, has anyone seen anything that says White Sox don’t have the highest offer?  Or that another team has even made an official offer...that may or may not exceed that of the Sox?

There is a fine line of “not getting bent over” and “showing genuine interest”. The Sox have done a good job of showing that they are legitimately interested and will do what it takes to land Manny.  They have also set the line in the sand that they won’t just acquiesce to egregious demands that the perceived Manny market was “supposed to be.”

If it comes out later that some other team got Manny at say 8/250 and Sox wouldn’t pony up that 8th year, go after Hahn and the FO.  Until then, people are indicting based on unsubstantiated claims and imperfect information.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Other than no-name randos on social media, has anyone seen anything that says White Sox don’t have the highest offer?  Or that another team has even made an official offer...that may or may not exceed that of the Sox?

There is a fine line of “not getting bent over” and “showing genuine interest”. The Sox have done a good job of showing that they are legitimately interested and will do what it takes to land Manny.  They have also set the line in the sand that they won’t just acquiesce to egregious demands that the perceived Manny market was “supposed to be.”

If it comes out later that some other team got Manny at say 8/250 and Sox wouldn’t pony up that 8th year, go after Hahn and the FO.  Until then, people are indicting based on unsubstantiated claims and imperfect information.

Well said sir, great post!

14 minutes ago, heirdog said:

Great post.

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm 31 years old. Probably not the oldest but certainly not some infant fan - 3 decades of pain is real. 

Theres no point in getting emotional or concerned about some dumb quotes on the radio this morning. It means nothing and the sox are clearly still heavily invested in acquiring manny.

The world series win was that painful? There isn't a universe series.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its not the random quotes. Its the attitude of defeat that is shown and how hahn is prepping for a soft landing. He could say we are working hard to make things happen or whatever in that sense... 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The world series win was that painful? There isn't a universe series.

Eh, as a 31 year old I do have to admit that most of my life of watching baseball has been a positive. The Sox were the 4th (maybe 5th?) winningest team in baseball in the 90's. Won a World Series in '05. Although, since 2010 things have pretty much been one big disappointment after another. The past few years have been rough for someone who never really saw this degree of losing in his lifetime. 

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

Its not the random quotes. Its the attitude of defeat that is shown and how hahn is prepping for a soft landing. He could say we are working hard to make things happen or whatever in that sense... 

Literally there was no attitude of defeat; you are making this up in your head. Hahn is answering questions as he should - no GM in their right mind would say the entire fan base will be devastated if they don't sign a certain free agent. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, heirdog said:

I agree with you 

45 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Another reference to the White Sox on www.mlbtraderumors.com today. Most I have seen probably since 2005 and 2006 in national recognition. Sox FO you would think HAS to be taking notice of this and realize that WHATEVER they pay Machado(or Harper or both) will be returned many times over in recognition and money coming in on tickets, jerseys, concessions, etc. 

I have to admit I am in the pessimism column here on all this. I have been a fan since 1956 and believe me our beloved Sox have DISAPPOINTED me MANY times. Until I see him standing there in a Sox uniform being announced by Hahn, I will have to be pessimistic based on past history. Prove me wrong, JR.

It wasn't JR's fault that the Sox didn't win that 1959 World Series for us and it wasn't his fault the Sox traded away Battey and Romano. I agree with you that we have been disappointed many times. So yes, JR, it's time to do something now and make us happy, for a change.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Literally there was no attitude of defeat; you are making this up in your head. Hahn is answering questions as he should - no GM in their right mind would say the entire fan base will be devastated if they don't sign a certain free agent. 

If you say so...    

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eh, as a 31 year old I do have to admit that most of my life of watching baseball has been a positive. The Sox were the 4th (maybe 5th?) winningest team in baseball in the 90's. Won a World Series in '05. Although, since 2010 things have pretty much been one big disappointment after another. The past few years have been rough for someone who never really saw this degree of losing in his lifetime. 

The sox should have won more in the early 90s. They were too cheap to pony up for that player to get over the hump. All they did was recycle players that were done or did nothing at all. It was the same in 2000. When instead of getting a pitcher they try to recycle ken hill

Edited by JoshPR

2 minutes ago, Saufley said:

It wasn't JR's fault that the Sox didn't win that 1959 World Series for us and it wasn't his fault the Sox traded away Battey and Romano. I agree with you that we have been disappointed many times. So yes, JR, it's time to do something now and make us happy, for a change.

I'll put away my soapbox for the rest of the day!

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres