Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Orlando said:

I’m really curious what people possibly more level headed as me think the chances we land Machado are? I’m saying 30% at this point.

It could be anything. Again I know Lozano is been a pain the arse to deal with so who knows

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hawk was awful, but LaRussa was no better. LaRussa was a cheater for one thing - amazing how everywhere he went, big time steroids followed. LaRussa thought he was reinventing the game when analytically speaking he was a moron. 

LaRussa was as bad a baseball ops guy as Hawk - what he did in Arizona was laughably bad.

Managers don't win World Series in baseball; nor do manager "take their team" there. Players do. LaRussa has had some very very gifted players in his career, but his attitude and arrogance were always laughable. Tony always thought he was the smartest guy in the room.

I never said LaRussa was good in the FO. He sucked the big one in Arizona. Maybe managers don't "win" WS but you got to get to the WS to have a chance. He got there and he won there(three times). That by coincidence is how many the Sox have won in 118 years. 

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I’m really curious what people possibly more level headed than me think the chances we land Machado are? I’m saying 30% at this point.

That is such an impossible question to know.  I mean even Hahn is preparing the public for both eventualities.  That tells me what I need to know, which is that no one knows.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hawk was awful, but LaRussa was no better. LaRussa was a cheater for one thing - amazing how everywhere he went, big time steroids followed. LaRussa thought he was reinventing the game when analytically speaking he was a moron. 

LaRussa was as bad a baseball ops guy as Hawk - what he did in Arizona was laughably bad.

Managers don't win World Series in baseball; nor do manager "take their team" there. Players do. LaRussa has had some very very gifted players in his career, but his attitude and arrogance were always laughable. Tony always thought he was the smartest guy in the room.

So in your logic Joe Torre was a terrible manager too...

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I’m really curious what people possibly more level headed than me think the chances we land Machado are? I’m saying 30% at this point.

I would put the Sox at 60%, The Phillies at 30% and the field at 10%

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah I still think its pretty high, but that doesn't mean this won't drag out until ST.  Unless Padres decide to offer 8/$300M+, I just don't see anyone else paying more. 

Honestly, it just shook out well for the Sox - perfectly you could say.

The Phillies want Harper and they are really the only other team involved - unless you honestly think San Diego is a threat which I do not. You don't join this sweepstakes late and then throw 300 million at him; they would have been in since the start if that was the case.

Lozano is in a rough spot and he knows it. The White Sox have no real competition for Manny and it makes them a near a lock to get this done. If there were more more suitors I'd be concerned, but in reality there just aren't

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

No, JR was not part of the team in 59. Veeck traded away Battey and Romano(He also traded Norm Cash, John Callison, Bubba Phillips, Don Mincher and Barry Latman. JR also was not there in 67 when the SOX lost TWO double headers to second division teams late in September and fell from first to fourth. JR was not there in the 60's where TWO STRAIGHT YEARS we finished ONE game behind the Yankees. But JR HAS been around for about 30 years and we have 2005 and only four other post seasons under his tenure. JR hired Hawk as GM and allowed a HOF manager to be fired, yet stayed with Manuel and Ventura when we had decent teams(especially with Manuel) but won nothing. We got outbid for Tanaka, Gordon, and Cespedes(I admit we dodged a bullet there, but it seems we ALWAYS get outbid). I don't advocate "bidding against themselves". I just would like to see the Sox put forth whatever it takes to bring in this once in a lifetime chance to make the team a winner. Yes, we have "prospects". So far the "prospects" that have come up have disappointed, so I am pretty confident "prospects" alone will get us to another WS.

Wow!! I hope you took your heart medication this morning! I was just bringing back a small sampling of my memory from the "good old days", with another "old timer". If I left out some history from the old days I'm sorry and I apologize. I'll resist, in the future, of getting involved in any of your posts! I hope this "old man" didn't offend anyone else out there and if so shame on me!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

So in your logic Joe Torre was a terrible manager too...

LaRussa did things in the national league, consistently, that gave his team a lesser chance of winning - whether his BP match-ups, his reverse splits, or his insistence on the pitcher hitting 8th and not turning his lineup over so an arm could get 1 or 2 more outs the next inning. 

6 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Wow!! I hope you took your heart medication this morning! I was just bringing back a small sampling of my memory from the "good old days", with another "old timer". If I left out some history from the old days I'm sorry and I apologize. I'll resist, in the future, of getting involved in any of your posts! I hope this "old man" didn't offend anyone else out there and if so shame on me!

No need for you to apologize at all. I took no offense to what you said. I meant no offense to you either. I was impressed there is still a few of us that remember Battey and Romano being traded. I just pointed out that Veeck screwed up and let other potential stars go also. 

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Honestly, it just shook out well for the Sox - perfectly you could say.

The Phillies want Harper and they are really the only other team involved - unless you honestly think San Diego is a threat which I do not. You don't join this sweepstakes late and then throw 300 million at him; they would have been in since the start if that was the case.

Lozano is in a rough spot and he knows it. The White Sox have no real competition for Manny and it makes them a near a lock to get this done. If there were more more suitors I'd be concerned, but in reality there just aren't

I like your thinking. But if Lozano is in a tough spot and he know it, it doen't sound like Hahn knows it.  He is doing a lot of CYA all of a sudden.  If it was a lock, I think it would be no comment.  I hope w the Sonny Gray trade the Yankees have not jumped back in. 

Edited by SCCWS

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I like your thinking. But if Lozano is in a tough spot and he know it, it doen't sound like Hahn knows it.  He is doing a lot of CYA all of a sudden.  If it was a lock, I think it would be no comment.  I hope w the Sonny Gray trade the Yankees have not jumped back in. 

For everyone who is upset with what Hahn said this morning, what did you want him to say?

We have to get Manny and if I don't get it done, I failed?  No one is going to say that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipps said:

That’s what you took from that column? I didn’t read that at all, maybe I have to read it again. 

Haven't read the column, but if the White Sox are looking at 3-4 moves, don't we know who 3 of them (Harper, Machado and Peterson)? Obviously, they are going to attempt to acquire just one of these players, but I'm assuming Hahn is referring to difference makers, not spring training/spare part roster additions.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres