Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

$250M contract 100% 

$250M-$300M 50% if 10 years 

$300M+ 0% and I am ok with that

I am actually not ok with it though. Going into this I always expected it to be around $300 mil. The Sox should have anticipated that too. I honestly expected it to at least take that much. Now that the narrative has changed it doesn’t give the Sox and easy out. I just can’t give them that. They should have been prepared or there is no reason to show at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

With the Padres making an "aggressive" push on Realmuto, they are either truly going all-in, or just as likely, being used by teams as a leverage piece for others in the market. 

The problem is their signing of Hosmer last year really upped their "crazy" quotient where everything is believable. There was also Preller's first year.

Let me get this straight...

So people are worried because it sounds like Hahn is doing damage control? Weren’t people just saying he was sounding overly optimistic this weekend? I highly doubt something happened last night to make him all of a sudden feel like they weren’t getting Manny. The much more rational and logical explanation is that people are overreacting and reading too much into what Hahn is saying. 

The Padres are not going to swoop in with an offer of $300 million after not being a part of this at the beginning. Two of Manny’s closest friends are here and there’s a damn good chance Manny wants to be here, too. Lozano is simply doing his job because the Sox are being smart by waiting it out and not bidding against themselves. What else did you expect from Lozano? Of course it seems like other teams are entering the mix now. 

In my mind, we have an 80% chance of landing Manny. Calm down. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Let me get this straight...

So people are worried because it sounds like Hahn is doing damage control? Weren’t people just saying he was sounding overly optimistic this weekend? I highly doubt something happened last night to make him all of a sudden feel like they weren’t getting Manny. The much more rational and logical explanation is that people are overreacting and reading too much into what Hahn is saying. 

The Padres are not going to swoop in with an offer of $300 million after not being a part of this at the beginning. Two of Manny’s closest friends are here and there’s a damn good chance Manny wants to be here, too. Lozano is simply doing his job because the Sox are being smart by waiting it out and not bidding against themselves. What else did you expect from Lozano? Of course it seems like other teams are entering the mix now. 

In my mind, we have an 80% chance of landing Manny. Calm down. 

It is really just a couple people freaking out, that frankly freak out alot.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Leyland, Duncan and Dombrowski as well?  

Leyland was fine - he actually embraced his old school mentality and didn't act as if he reinvented the game or was doing something ground breaking.

Dave Duncan was/is fine as well; he got a little too much credit in St. Louis as a pitching coach but he was good.

Dombrowski, he's good at going all in, but would certainly not be the GM you'd want to spearhead a rebuild and if you don't have a big budget he's a horrible long term GM if sustained success is your goal.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Im really just tired of the whole "bidding against themselves" argument. This isnt an auction. Highest bid after a set amount of time doesnt win. This is a contract negotiation. It should scare every Sox fan that almost a month ago it was "Manny is going to make his decision in early January." At that time there were 3 *likely* destinations, Sox, Yankees and Phillies.

Yankees seemingly arent that interested. So that left 2 teams, Phillies and Sox. By some stroke of luck, Phillies havent really seemed to be the top destination for Machado (whether its he doesnt like them or they want Harper), but there just hasnt been a lot of smoke for them. That basically left the Sox as the "default" option for Machado.

Almost a month has now passed and the Sox still havent closed the deal. Many people on this board hoped Sox would sign *both* Harper and Machado, now there is a question of whether the Sox are even going to offer 1 contract worth $300mil. 

Sorry to be a negative nancy without any sauces, but these chain of events should absolutely scare any Sox fan. People can say they arent afraid of the Padres, but they absolutely should be. You should be afraid of any team willing to get into the mix now. Just because a month ago they thought Machado was out of reach, doesnt mean that their ownership could have been persuaded to reconsider. There were rumors of them adding Moustakas. For all we know their GM convinced the owner that it was worth the extra money to go for Machado.

The Sox need to make a splash, they need to put the money that they made with their low payroll to use. Free Agents like Machado are rare, the Sox chance at another player like this in Free Agency could be much worse in the future. Without the final numbers its hard to say, but I really doubt that the Sox are offering such an *overpay* that they should walk away. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baker said:

I’m a little surprised the Sox haven’t announced a move to the Grapefruit League yet. Miami, perhaps. Lol.  Seriously, I don’t think Manny is in a hurry to spend six weeks in Arizona. I’d say the Sox land him about March 5th. 

I was thinking of that as well. Maybe a small part of why he's letting it drag out is because Spring Training is too long as is and is cool with reporting to it late February/early March. Granted, it's more because he wants a higher offer, but the current offers will still be there at that time anyway.

Edited by soxfan2014

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Leyland was fine - he actually embraced his old school mentality and didn't act as if he reinvented the game or was doing something ground breaking.

Dave Duncan was/is fine as well; he got a little too much credit in St. Louis as a pitching coach but he was good.

Dombrowski, he's good at going all in, but would certainly not be the GM you'd want to spearhead a rebuild and if you don't have a big budget he's a horrible long term GM if sustained success is your goal.

Quite a bit of the Marlins’ success and almost all of his Expos’ tenure was based on building top-flight farm systems, though.  He developed most of that young talent that wiped out the Cubs and Yankees in 2003, guys like Cabrera and Beckett.

15 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Im really just tired of the whole "bidding against themselves" argument. This isnt an auction. Highest bid after a set amount of time doesnt win. This is a contract negotiation. It should scare every Sox fan that almost a month ago it was "Manny is going to make his decision in early January." At that time there were 3 *likely* destinations, Sox, Yankees and Phillies.

Yankees seemingly arent that interested. So that left 2 teams, Phillies and Sox. By some stroke of luck, Phillies havent really seemed to be the top destination for Machado (whether its he doesnt like them or they want Harper), but there just hasnt been a lot of smoke for them. That basically left the Sox as the "default" option for Machado.

Almost a month has now passed and the Sox still havent closed the deal. Many people on this board hoped Sox would sign *both* Harper and Machado, now there is a question of whether the Sox are even going to offer 1 contract worth $300mil. 

Sorry to be a negative nancy without any sauces, but these chain of events should absolutely scare any Sox fan. People can say they arent afraid of the Padres, but they absolutely should be. You should be afraid of any team willing to get into the mix now. Just because a month ago they thought Machado was out of reach, doesnt mean that their ownership could have been persuaded to reconsider. There were rumors of them adding Moustakas. For all we know their GM convinced the owner that it was worth the extra money to go for Machado.

The Sox need to make a splash, they need to put the money that they made with their low payroll to use. Free Agents like Machado are rare, the Sox chance at another player like this in Free Agency could be much worse in the future. Without the final numbers its hard to say, but I really doubt that the Sox are offering such an *overpay* that they should walk away. 

We also don't know if there is a "Buy it Now" price that can be met that wraps it up.

4 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

We also don't know if there is a "Buy it Now" price that can be met that wraps it up.

This late in January, there has to be. Id say that the buy it now price has been known since he met with all 3 teams. 

(edit)

For comparison, Pujols (Lozano's other huge client) signed on December 9th.

http://www.espn.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7330066/st-louis-cardinals-albert-pujols-join-los-angeles-angels

Edited by Soxbadger

7 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

This late in January, there has to be. Id say that the buy it now price has been known since he met with all 3 teams. 

(edit)

http://www.espn.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7330066/st-louis-cardinals-albert-pujols-join-los-angeles-angels

Things change though - the Yankees may not be a bidder, there was hope the Cubs would be, the Padres may be a bidder now.....

There isn't a big rush for these guys to sign if there's any chance of a new team entering the market. The White Sox would look pretty stupid if they gave a deadline for Machado to then sign some 2nd rate player.

If SD is now a player, that will likely extend this out into early February and maybe beyond. At some point though, the teams/offers will be just that. 

Just now, spiderman said:

Things change though - the Yankees may not be a bidder, there was hope the Cubs would be, the Padres may be a bidder now.....

There isn't a big rush for these guys to sign if there's any chance of a new team entering the market. The White Sox would look pretty stupid if they gave a deadline for Machado to then sign some 2nd rate player.

If SD is now a player, that will likely extend this out into early February and maybe beyond. At some point though, the teams/offers will be just that. 

In a depressed market there is even more incentive to take the *buy now* offer immediately, because you dont know if it will ever come back. 

My response was to whether Lozano has told teams what Machado would sign for today, and I have to believe he has. 

I just wish we could turn this site back into Soxtalk.com instead of Machadotalk.com

We all need to quit wasting time discussing this until he signs, whether here or elsewhere. 

We've all beaten this this dead horse to its skeleton. There is nothing left to discuss until the dude makes a decision. 

This thread has gone on AT LEAST 10 different tangents. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just listened to Hahn with Kaplan. Two things that stood out:

- mentioned trade discussions, which means it’s not just talking to free agents like someone suggested earlier

- he adamantly agreed with Kaplan about the idea of not spending just to spend if they miss on the big guys 

29 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

(edit)

I don't know.  Harper hasn't signed either.  It may be more about getting paid the most vs. getting paid "x" amount.

Just now, Leonard Zelig said:

I don't know.  Harper hasn't signed either.  It may be more about getting paid the most vs. getting paid "x" amount.

(IMO) Harper is different. Boras turned down a significant offer last season. It would be very bad for him to take less than that. Also Boras has been doing the "wait" game forever.  He had JD Drew sit out an entire season. 

20 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

In a depressed market there is even more incentive to take the *buy now* offer immediately, because you dont know if it will ever come back. 

My response was to whether Lozano has told teams what Machado would sign for today, and I have to believe he has. 

Is the market depressed, meaning these guys will be getting less on an per year basis? Perhaps (or probably) that is true. I think it seems somewhat certain that they won't be getting a 10 year deal, etc., but perhaps $30M over a shorter year.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres