Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

The nature of a lot of information that people gets is that in can either get twisted in a game of telephone or stuff simply changes. Those people that are thirsty for more information have to understand that the people that do actually have information may have bad info from a good source, or good info from a good source that changes. 

If we get Manny, awesome. People we trust around here seem like they all hear that there is a decent chance. But understand that the info they are getting may be something intentionally being leaked, may be outdated, or it may be 100% correct. People overhear stuff and pass that on and it may not be accurate. It's the nature of it.

Frankly, the track record of the people that have a good feeling is pretty good. None of these guys is gonna bat 1.000, even if they work for the Sox, because most people outside of the upper echelon of Sox management likely know everything that's going on. People like @raBBit @macsandz and @wsd have more than proven their credibility in the past even if they have not been perfect. Same with Shack.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet here you are, slumming it with all of us dense people. 

I thought it was obvious from his post he didn't mean everyone here is dense but instead those who keep saying how WSD doesn't know anything and then has multiple people say otherwise.

Being a part of this board doesn't make someone dense; arguing the same thing over and over again when the evidence proves it wrong makes someone dense.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I thought it was obvious from his post he didn't mean everyone here is dense but instead those who keep saying how WSD doesn't know anything and then has multiple people say otherwise.

Being a part of this board doesn't make someone dense; arguing the same thing over and over again when the evidence proves it wrong makes someone dense.

The implication was that anyone who didn't like Dave was dense, which is a joke.

I stand by my prediction that the Sox get Manny, but quite frankly it's easy to see why he might choose another organization if the money is about equal. We're not even talking about competing for the division this year if we do get Manny. If you are him, that should be a major factor. The postseason is fun and he's in his prime years. If we're not even gonna make the playoffs witih him?

I still say don't sweat it. Sox get him. You don't sign a relative and a buddy of his and have an open checkbook and not get him.

33 minutes ago, iamshack said:

I don’t think there is any sense in putting a number on it, but it is my belief that the comments Hahn made at Soxfest over the weekend do not really represent just how determined they are to land him. Harper being out there does complicate that a bit, but I think (and all their moves make this very clear) they are absolutely committed to landing him unless the price starts to converge with the bottom range of how they value Harper. 

So you believe that the Sox are on Machado since his price is theoretically lower than Harper, but would potentially move to Harper if their prices were even.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The implication was that anyone who didn't like Dave was dense, which is a joke.

I took it as anyone who questions dave's sources is dense, especially if the reason they question it is because they dislike barstool. Its one thing to dislike a group or company or anything like that, and another to dismiss anyone associated with that entity even when that person has been right in the past.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

I took it as anyone who questions dave's sources is dense, especially if the reason they question it is because they dislike barstool. Its one thing to dislike a group or company or anything like that, and another to dismiss anyone associated with that entity even when that person has been right in the past.

Either way, someone disparaging Soxtalk while posting on Soxtalk is the ultimate in hypocrisy.  I'm not about to standby for someone slandering the people on this page.

Most of us who have contacts, try to use our info in a way that won’t compromise who told us.   And remember we are fans too!  But when things don’t turn out in the way we are told- posters really make it personal.  So what’s the point in trying to share what we may know? Bottom line - the organization still thinks they get him.   They have worked hard to do it.  They aren’t being cheap or lazy but are squaring off against an agent who needs to make a payday for himself and future business.    That is all.   Have a great night and     trust Hahn.    

Edited by Mbs1969
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think the sources who are friendlier or more embraced by SoxTalk are obviously going to get favored treatment...that’s fair enough.

And I don’t know of anyone on this board who’s actually earning money by teasing access to real insider information, that’s a key distinction.   That opens you up for MUCH more criticism imo.

One of my good friends from grad school is Director of Pro Scouting for the Atlanta Hawks and I’ve never thought about trying to get any insider information from him, because it seems disrespectful to ask.  I don’t even tease him about Trae a Young vs. Doncic, it’s only back and forth about Cubs and Sox (he’s from Freeport.). Now if he wanted to share it or was seeking ways to make information public because it would benefit the Hawks, then I’d have to at least consider it...but I wouldn’t like that either, if I discovered I was being “used” in the process.  Maybe it’s just this current generation, raised on technology devices and 24 hour information.

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Either way, someone disparaging Soxtalk while posting on Soxtalk is the ultimate in hypocrisy.  I'm not about to standby for someone slandering the people on this page.

IDK, he was referring to some specific people, so if that is disparaging Soxtalk while posting on Soxtalk then really anyone saying anything bad about any other poster while on here is basically disparaging Soxtalk. It kind of seems like this quote I found fits that description then.

why you are lowering your genius self to our relative dense levels here at Soxtalk. I am sure there are other options for someone of your superiority.  

37 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Frankly, the track record of the people that have a good feeling is pretty good. None of these guys is gonna bat 1.000, even if they work for the Sox, because most people outside of the upper echelon of Sox management likely know everything that's going on. People like @raBBit @macsandz and @wsd have more than proven their credibility in the past even if they have not been perfect. Same with Shack.

Bingo.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I think the sources who are friendlier or more embraced by SoxTalk are obviously going to get favored treatment...that’s fair enough.

And I don’t know of anyone on this board who’s actually earning money by teasing access to real insider information, that’s a key distinction.   That opens you up for MUCH more criticism imo.

One of my good friends from grad school is Director of Pro Scouting for the Atlanta Hawks and I’ve never thought about trying to get any insider information from him, because it seems disrespectful to ask.  I don’t even tease him about Trae a Young vs. Doncic, it’s only back and forth about Cubs and Sox (he’s from Freeport.). Now if he wanted to share it or was seeking ways to make information public because it would benefit the Hawks, then I’d have to at least consider it...but I wouldn’t like that either, if I discovered I was being “used” in the process.  Maybe it’s just this current generation, raised on technology devices and 24 hour information.

Could WSD, raBBit, Chili’s source, etc. have been “used” by the Sox to drum up more interest in SoxFest? 

Or do we think there was actually something brewing that just fell apart or hasn’t fully materialized yet?

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

IDK, he was referring to some specific people, so if that is disparaging Soxtalk while posting on Soxtalk then really anyone saying anything bad about any other poster while on here is basically disparaging Soxtalk. It kind of seems like this quote I found fits that description then.

I guess it’s difficult not to take personally when you’ve invested 1/3rd of your life into something that doesn’t bring a direct financial benefit but which you’re nonetheless quite proud about (justifiably so).  Everyone has their weak points. 

7 minutes ago, Mbs1969 said:

Most of us who have contacts, try to use our info in a way that won’t compromise who told us.   And remember we are fans too!  But when things don’t turn out in the way we are told- posters really make it personal.  So what’s the point in trying to share what we may know? Bottom line - the organization still thinks they get him.   They have worked hard to do it.  They aren’t being cheap or lazy but are squaring off against an agent who needs to make a payday for himself and future business.    That is all.   Have a great night and     trust Hahn.    

Is it bad that people with inside sources make me feel better about this than actual Hahn quotes? Whenever he talks it sounds like we won't be the highest bidder, but I guess I wouldn't put out there publicly that we won't be outbid. Letting an agent know you are willing to go a ton higher than current amount will probably just make you pay a ton more than you had to.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I guess it’s difficult not to take personally when you’ve invested 1/3rd of your life into something that doesn’t bring a direct financial benefit but which you’re nonetheless quite proud about (justifiably so).  Everyone has their weak points. 

And I 100% get that, but I just feel like it was a misunderstanding that was only going to escalate into something worse. I think I was trying to just jump in and calm things down and I did a really bad job at that. I'm probably not in a great frame of mind for online convos considering I am in an argument on a different board. I probably carried some of that over into this one.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Could WSD, raBBit, Chili’s source, etc. have been “used” by the Sox to drum up more interest in SoxFest? 

Or do we think there was actually something brewing that just fell apart or hasn’t fully materialized yet?

Yes, that’s the kind of thing that would be irritating to know, if fans are being deliberately manipulated...and that doing so continues to provide access to information for “sources.”

That said, the main argument is that the event was already sold out.

Of course, the sound of crickets on Sat and Sunday with no follow up or explanation from those who were providing scoops is what has many around here upset.   The idea that sources should be accountable...whether they’re largely doing it for fun or attention or whatever their true intrinsic motivations are, the most fascinating part (from a sociological standpoint)  is the battle between the sources themselves for acceptance and credibility.  So many new posters, I can see how “proving yourself” would get annoying as well.  That said, they wouldn’t put themselves in those positions without a reason.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, that’s the kind of thing that would be irritating to know, if fans are being deliberately manipulated...and that doing so continues to provide access to information for “sources.”

That said, the main argument is that the event was already sold out.

Of course, the sound of crickets on Sat and Sunday with no follow up or explanation from those who were providing scoops is what has many around here upset.   The idea that sources should be accountable...whether they’re largely doing it for fun or attention or whatever their true intrinsic motivations are, the most fascinating part (from a sociological standpoint)  is the battle between the sources themselves for acceptance and credibility.  So many new posters, I can see how “proving yourself” would get annoying as well.  That said, they wouldn’t put themselves in those positions without a reason.

Well let’s give one of them an opportunity to explain...

@raBBit, do you think you were fed misinformation about something happening at SoxFest, or do you think something was expected to happen and it just never materialized?

EDIT: I should clarify that I’m not sure if you ever said something would get announced at SoxFest, but on Thursday night, you did imply that something was done and your guess was that it would get announced Friday morning. 

Edited by SoxBlanco

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres