Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

28 minutes ago, mqr said:

The white Sox or Padres signing that deal makes zero sense

The only argument is the same reason they wanted to trade for him before last year.

Taste of experience, become familiar with coaches and minor league talent, city of Chicago, etc.

Would agree Phillies, Mets, Cardinals, Angels, heck...any team with illusions of contending in 2019 would be the ones to offer this kind of deal.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Would be pretty easy to verify if #Vegas has done that.

Posted in the other thread but I dont think Vegas ever had prop bets like that. They hate that kind of stuff. If they did, for those odds to be no longer be available in late January would not be surprising. The Machado line is nonexistent too. You could and still can get the bets overseas however.

Phillies still 15 to 1 in Vegas for the WS

Fans (not just white sox fans) are tired of people on the internet posing as insiders and taking stabs at breaking sports news.  There are tons of people doing this for attention and hoping to start or advance a career.  It is mildly infuriating to the general sports internet public. 

So, if you are an actual insider, and you want to pose as one on the internet, you have to expect people to get cranky when you have attempted to break news and it doesn't come to fruition.  Obviously, nothing is guaranteed and an honest good person could get things wrong from time to time, but you have to know that negative reactions will come with the territory.  

Regular messageboard fans and general little people:  DO NOT let these insiders and their friends turn THEM MISSING ON NEWS into "non insider dudes on a message board are upset that we aren't sharing the secret news we have".  That is not what happened here.  A bunch of guys here eluded to varying degrees of something big going down soon and it didn't come true, and now they have managed to swing the tide from them being wrong into WE are the idiots for maybe even kinda slightly accusing them of being wrong.  

Somehow it is acceptable to tear Nightengale and Bruuuuce to shreds, calling them every name in the book, but we can't even question "our" guys?  

I apologize for any intentional or unintentional joking i've done with people's internet handles.  Peace.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The only argument is the same reason they wanted to trade for him before last year.

Taste of experience, become familiar with coaches and minor league talent, city of Chicago, etc.

Would agree Phillies, Mets, Cardinals, Angels, heck...any team with illusions of contending in 2019 would be the ones to offer this kind of deal.

I thought of that too. It won't happen regardless, but signing him for one year makes more sense than trading for one year of him one year into a rebuild.

8 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Fans (not just white sox fans) are tired of people on the internet posing as insiders and taking stabs at breaking sports news.  There are tons of people doing this for attention and hoping to start or advance a career.  It is mildly infuriating to the general sports internet public. 

So, if you are an actual insider, and you want to pose as one on the internet, you have to expect people to get cranky when you have attempted to break news and it doesn't come to fruition.  Obviously, nothing is guaranteed and an honest good person could get things wrong from time to time, but you have to know that negative reactions will come with the territory.  

Regular messageboard fans and general little people:  DO NOT let these insiders and their friends turn THEM MISSING ON NEWS into "non insider dudes on a message board are upset that we aren't sharing the secret news we have".  That is not what happened here.  A bunch of guys here eluded to varying degrees of something big going down soon and it didn't come true, and now they have managed to swing the tide from them being wrong into WE are the idiots for maybe even kinda slightly accusing them of being wrong.  

Somehow it is acceptable to tear Nightengale and Bruuuuce to shreds, calling them every name in the book, but we can't even question "our" guys?  

I apologize for any intentional or unintentional joking i've done with people's internet handles.  Peace.  

Shouldn’t there be SOME leeway for those who do it for fun and aren’t receiving any type of financial compensation?

Or the other point, if this was a pay site ($9.95/month) and we had walked-off access to exclusive insider information and some boards were just for paying members...then it would justifiably be easier to criticize, as those insiders would essentially be paid employees of the website.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Shouldn’t there be SOME leeway for those who do it for fun

Sure, I think "our" guys get more than some leeway.  

If Dan Clark came here and said Joc was all but done and his source said something big was going down at Soxfest, we'd make his mother delete her twitter account.

A few people here tried to dissect what info Team WSD had and why they couldn't share it after Shack said "If we knew what they know" and they came rolling into town and changed the narrative into we should be happy to get the news we get and we are trolls if we even question their info or their eyeballs.  A few members brought up the news they had right, not the news they've had wrong, everybody piled on and here we are.  

21 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

If Dan Clark came here and said Joc was all but done and his source said something big was going down at Soxfest, we'd make his mother delete her twitter account.

A few people here tried to dissect what info Team WSD had and why they couldn't share it after Shack said "If we knew what they know" and they came rolling into town and changed the narrative into we should be happy to get the news we get and we are trolls if we even question their info or their eyeballs.  A few members brought up the news they had right, not the news they've had wrong, everybody piled on and here we are.  

I think what you need to understand is things can be true but also not come to fruition. The Sox may very well have been very close on a Pederson deal, and then it falls through. If the deal never occurs does that mean all the info in the run up is bad? No, deals fall through all the time and people like we are talking about give us info from earlier stages than a reporter like rosenthal would.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I don’t think it was trolls...that’s probably too strong.  More about appreciating the inside information that we do get access to.

Maybe it’s also a fear with so many new posters surrounding this Machado soap opera that so many “attacks” on the so-called insiders will result in virtually no public information, or just friends sharing with each through PM’s.   Of course, that would eventually leak out or be hinted at through cryptic “knowing” comments.

There are two sides to every story, of course.  The problem is you’re unlikely to get much accountability in these situations.  Think of it like Jim Cramer on CNBC, Motley Fool or Gordon Chang arguing China is on the verge of collapse every year for at least a decade.  Eventually you’ll be right about something.  Some have a better track record.  It’s also human nature to crow about the times you were right, not the times you whiffed.  

It does get annoying when people have vague Rich Hahnesque exhortations that we should be confident or chill out because there are things going on behind the scenes we are not privy to (this limited info will also be the case for every original source except for maybe 10 individuals in the front office and board members), which comes into collision with almost four decades of only landing two Hall of Fame talents in Fisk and Belle via free agency. 

The equal parts excitement and fear or disappointment are rubbing together like two tectonic plates...it would be hard to imagine otherwise, as long as this has dragged out with already two ESPN front page headlines connecting the Sox and Machado.

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think what you need to understand is things can be true but also not come to fruition. 

54 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

So, if you are an actual insider, and you want to pose as one on the internet, you have to expect people to get cranky when you have attempted to break news and it doesn't come to fruition.  Obviously, nothing is guaranteed and an honest good person could get things wrong from time to time, but you have to know that negative reactions will come with the territory.  

I understand.

Edited by GREEDY

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

If Harper signs with Philly today, is that good or bad for the WSox pursuit of Machado?

Mostly good...although it could go on for quite awhile with a price set (based on Harper’s numbers) few if any will be willing to meet for Manny.

If the White Sox aren’t at 8 and $240-260, they’re going to lose him to a more creative deal from a contender...especially if they won’t bend on the 3 year (vs. 4) opt out condition (assuming that’s part of the hang up, protecting Machado if the rebuild flops.)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If Harper signs with Philly today, is that good or bad for the WSox pursuit of Machado?

I think it's good and bad. More bad. 

The good: If it happens, I think it's something Lozano didn't expect, which would give him a greater urgency to complete a deal with the Sox or whoever. That said...

If it happens, it's largely under Boras' terms. Boras isn't desperate yet, so it would be a contract much greater than the Nats 10/300 before the offseason to get Harper to sign now. "Stupid money" remarks notwithstanding, I honestly have a hard time believing the Phillies just decided to say fuck it and meet Boras price. If they did, it sets the market and gives Lozano more leverage for at least 300 million in a contract. Lozano may have more urgency to sign, but he will also have more bargaining power given the going rate of elite baseball players in this free agency period. 

Additionally, if the Phillies really have decided to tap into the nefarious power of 'stupid money', what stops them from pivoting towards Machado once Harper is locked up? If Harper got something like 10/350, and the Phillies are willing to go 10/300-325 for Harper, are the Sox still gonna be in this thing? 

Just now, South Sider said:

I think it's good and bad. More bad. 

The good: If it happens, I think it's something Lozano didn't expect, which would give him a greater urgency to complete a deal with the Sox or whoever. That said...

If it happens, it's largely under Boras' terms. Boras isn't desperate yet, so it would be a contract much greater than the Nats 10/300 before the offseason to get Harper to sign now. "Stupid money" remarks notwithstanding, I honestly have a hard time believing the Phillies just decided to say fuck it and meet Boras price. If they did, it sets the market and gives Lozano more leverage for at least 300 million in a contract. Lozano may have more urgency to sign, but he will also have more bargaining power given the going rate of elite baseball players in this free agency period. 

Additionally, if the Phillies really have decided to tap into the nefarious power of 'stupid money', what stops them from pivoting towards Machado once Harper is locked up? If Harper got something like 10/350, and the Phillies are willing to go 10/300-325 for Harper, are the Sox still gonna be in this thing? 

Also, with the numbers being floated for Machado being no higher than 250-260, why would the Phillies suddenly tack on 100 million to a market sized contract? The only justification I can see is if their owner literally decided to live by his stupid money words. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case, given the owners comments. I'd also be a little surprised that an organization of businessmen would pay such a premium. 

All said, to get Harper, it was gonna have to come down to a big contract like that anyway. Boras will barely budge from his numbers and everyone knows it. It is quite plausible that the Phillies decided to just go get their guy. 

33 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I understand.

But that’s where I read “breaking news” and see it differently. It’s often not about saying 30 minutes before a reporter that a deal is done. It’s often just letting people know what Sox are working on and that something is close enough to mention. 

A lot of people here want that info, but it often does fall through before execution. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

But that’s where I read “breaking news” and see it differently. It’s often not about saying 30 minutes before a reporter that a deal is done. It’s often just letting people know what Sox are working on and that something is close enough to mention. 

A lot of people here want that info, but it often does fall through before execution. 

I agree with you completely because that's the case 99% of the time, but in this most recent situation, raBBit was talking as if the deal was done. These were his posts from Thursday night...

"It will be interesting to see how Sox plan to release it. I imagine it will leak before they can make good on any plans on it."

"I think it's safe that Rosenthal or Heyman wont break it tonight but who knows if some random reports and then some national guy confirms its the wild west."

"Maybe Sox twitter scheduled for 11AM? Half serious. If I had to guess, I'd guess tomorrow morning."

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I agree with you completely because that's the case 99% of the time, but in this most recent situation, raBBit was talking as if the deal was done. These were his posts from Thursday night...

"It will be interesting to see how Sox plan to release it. I imagine it will leak before they can make good on any plans on it."

"I think it's safe that Rosenthal or Heyman wont break it tonight but who knows if some random reports and then some national guy confirms its the wild west."

"Maybe Sox twitter scheduled for 11AM? Half serious. If I had to guess, I'd guess tomorrow morning."

Half serious about the whole thing, or just the Sox Twitter accounting releasing it at that precise time...before noon news?

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'm telling you they rolled back into this thread and somehow changed the tide from "they got something wrong... again" to "we are insiders, sometimes we can't share stuff, sometimes we can, you are trolls if you question us".  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'm telling you they rolled back into this thread and somehow changed the tide from "they got something wrong... again" to "we are insiders, sometimes we can't share stuff, sometimes we can, you are trolls if you question us".  

This is still going? There were all sorts of rumors late last week about a Joc Pederson deal being done. I thought it would be announced at some point over this past weekend. Those reports were apparently not true or something happened causing a deal to not be announced. Lose the fake insider act though man. You make yourself sound very unintelligent and uninformed. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

It’s obvious that someone jumped the gun on Joc going to the Sox. The thing is, it wasn’t wsd or rabbit that jumped the gun. They can only go with what they hear, and I know they try to confirm everything they hear. It’s not hard to see how the Joc deal could have hit a snag, as even Dodgers sources were saying a Pollock trade would mean Joc was being dealt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres