Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, OmarComing25 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11579&position=OF#battedball

He had a lower ground ball rate in 2018 and 2015 and the exact same rate in 2017.

You said Gb/Fb, his Gb/Fb rate was 0.95 in 2016 and that was the lowest of his career yet it was his lowest HR year at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Why would we keep our offer the same if we're the only bidders? That doesn't make sense

It is a terrible way to start a relationship and it could encourage him to go elsewhere for less money.  This is pretty much the textbook of how the Heat lose DWade to the Bulls (even though the deal was a flop for the Bulls).  Playing dirty with players before they even sign isn't a great way to get free agents to come play for you, especially when you aren't the prime franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is a terrible way to start a relationship and it could encourage him to go elsewhere for less money.  This is pretty much the textbook of how the Heat lose DWade to the Bulls (even though the deal was a flop for the Bulls).  Playing dirty with players before they even sign isn't a great way to get free agents to come play for you, especially when you aren't the prime franchise.

I get it, and I'm assuming they would only incrementally decrease the amount to somewhat avoid that 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You said Gb/Fb, his Gb/Fb rate was 0.95 in 2016 and that was the lowest of his career yet it was his lowest HR year at the same time. 

He also carried a much higher soft contact %. It's probably an outlier, but I'm more comfortable saying that something was off about Harper's meh year than I am with Machado

12 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Why would we keep our offer the same if we're the only bidders? That doesn't make sense

Because you never know if you are the only bidder or if a team jumps in last minute and becomes a bidder. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I didn't say anything, that was someone else. But regardless, Harper didn't get unlucky in 2016, he made a lot less hard contact that year. His xwOBA pretty much matched his wOBA.

20 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

It makes a lot of sense given the Sox could never truly know if they are the only bidders. The Sox aren't lowering their offer to Manny. If teams drop out for whatever reason, it just means Manny will simply accept the Sox offer. 

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Lol here is the “person outside of the org” who thinks the Sox have done well even if they miss

There is something to be said about actually trying to improve your team in this day and age, but it's separate from success/failure in acquiring the guy or not. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I don't know, I always thought if you had a team that lost 100 games, trying to improve would be implied, not praised. Everyone gets a trophy.

Not since winning stopped being the driving force of the bottom line.

1 minute ago, whitesoxwinner said:

that'd probably be smarter but I doubt Lazaro would adhere to it and thus I dont think we would either. At least I would hope not

The only deadline that is believable is one associated with the start of ST. If the White Sox set a 48 hour deadline and then Lozano came back 7 days later to accept their earlier offer, everyone knows the White Sox would take it.

• Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres