Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Best part about this thread is people basically role playing a salary negotiation...here is my advice stick to your day job.  Hahn knows what he is doing.  Manny and Harper like 95% or more of big time free agents will eventually sign where they make the most money.  It has little to do with winning.

One thing I don't get is the reluctance to sign a 10 year deal.  Unless they completely bomb the AAV value today will more likely be a deal compared to the "going rate" 5 years from now.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

At what point does panic set it in for all the other Free Agents looking for work who have basically been held hostage awaiting a Machado/Harper move? 

Agreed. At some point those guys need to get jobs. If Harper/Machado remained unsigned a week or 2 into Spring Training I expect to see a lot of these guys start signing.

At what point does Hahn have to put a deadline for Manny to take or leave? He has a "Manny plan" that involves pursuing other trades and FA signings that are contingent on Manny signing. He wont be able to act on this plan and many of those deals may pass him by the longer Manny waits.  

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

At what point does Hahn have to put a deadline for Manny to take or leave? He has a "Manny plan" that involves pursuing other trades and FA signings that are contingent on Manny signing. He wont be able to act on this plan and many of those deals may pass him by the longer Manny waits.  

Never? He will have to make decisions independent of Machado 

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

Never. The "Manny plan" is about deciding whether they should spend extra money to put a slightly better team around him, rather than just playing all the kids and losing more. Moves like Joc don't make sense if we don't have Machado. But the other moves are just window dressing. The Sox will gladly sign Machado now or in May.

5 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Never. The "Manny plan" is about deciding whether they should spend extra money to put a slightly better team around him, rather than just playing all the kids and losing more. Moves like Joc don't make sense if we don't have Machado. But the other moves are just window dressing. The Sox will gladly sign Machado now or in May.

May?? That was a joke, right??

2 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

The Joc move is largely what I am referring to and to me its not a small detail. That would be a pretty huge move in its own right. And there is probably another that we havent even heard about knowing Hahn. 

I dont think there is anything wrong with Hahn at least communicating this dilemma to Lozano to possibly add some sense of urgency to get this done. I just dont get the feeling that a waiting game is beneficial for the Sox for many reasons. Sox should be adding pressure to Machados camp to make a decision any way they can. Maybe they are, I dont know, waiting and not knowing anything behind the scenes leads you to believe that they are messing everything up. LOL

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Thank God the Sox aren't either of these two players away from legitimately competing for anything come this season.    I can't  imagine the angst if that were the case.    We'd be heading towards the 1K page mark on this thread.  

See Phillies, Nationals, Braves...even the Mets, or the way the entire NL Central is approaching this offseason.  Those two divisions are going to be crazy competitive, especially if Harper goes to the Phillies.

Then you have the Boston/NYY/Houston triumvirate and the Indians desperately fighting to keep up with those three.  Most of the AL teams pretty much know exactly where they stand, other than the A’s, Rays and Twins (due to financial handcuffs.)

11 minutes ago, mqr said:

Never? He will have to make decisions independent of Machado 

In almost all cases I would agree with that but Machado and Harper are a whole different animal. These are generational talents with record breaking contracts. YOu sign one of them it changes your entire outlook on the present. You dont sign them it does the same. 

The Joc move is largely what I am referring to and to me its not a small detail. That would be a pretty huge move in its own right. And there is probably another that we havent even heard about knowing Hahn. 

I dont think there is anything wrong with Hahn at least communicating this dilemma to Lozano to possibly add some sense of urgency to get this done. I just dont get the feeling that a waiting game is beneficial for the Sox for many reasons. Sox should be adding pressure to Machados camp to make a decision any way they can. Maybe they are, I dont know, waiting and not knowing anything behind the scenes leads you to believe that they are messing everything up. LOL

Right but realistically, if Machado takes so long that the Pederson move can’t happen, the plan doesn’t really change.

Maybe they find someone else or maybe we lose another game or two next year. That isn’t worth putting the larger picture in jeopardy. 

1 minute ago, shipps said:

In almost all cases I would agree with that but Machado and Harper are a whole different animal. These are generational talents with record breaking contracts. YOu sign one of them it changes your entire outlook on the present. You dont sign them it does the same. 

You can’t risk blowing up a negotiation because you can’t decide if you need to trade for Joc Pederson. That would be a horrible idea. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

It literally just dawned on me. The White Sox have leverage in the fact that they can wait. The Padres are another team that has that luxury, this is why they are the perfect team to involve if you are Lozano. I am now convinced that they are not a threat. Wait it out Hahn and get your man.

• Thanks 1

Going back to Harper would make some sense, because everything’s at a stalemate...Phillies don’t feel pressure from anyone to continue bidding up Harper’s contract, either.  The problem for them is if he really has no intention of going there unless they were just to blow all other offers out of the water (which they very well might do.)

Its going to come off like a bluff from Hahn, because of all the eggs being in the Machado basket...but someone needs to make a move, it’s like a game of checkers, and the two sides are just chasing each other around the board.  We need to switch it Go or at least chess.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres