Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

On 1/20/2019 at 7:56 AM, Ross Gload Fan said:

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m guessing this is related to Joc and that Hahn agreed to a trade for him that is dependent on the Dodgers landing Realmuto without giving up Verdugo.

or not landing him..... bc then they would still have verdugo and a crowded OF.

IMO the best chance we have at landing Joc is if the Reds beat out the Dodgers and land Realmuto. I cant see the Dodgers getting him and not giving up Verdugo which would then make Joc useful to them.

2 hours ago, Capital G said:

IMO the best chance we have at landing Joc is if the Reds beat out the Dodgers and land Realmuto. I cant see the Dodgers getting him and not giving up Verdugo which would then make Joc useful to them.

There OF isn't too crowded. If they didn't deal Verdugo or Pederson, it would be: Pederson/Hernandez platoon in LF, Pollock CF, Verdugo RF. Toles isn't much of an MLB player, Taylor is likely the starting 2B, and I think most would expect Muncy to regress really hard next year so he's likely mostly a bench bat as well (meaning Bellinger is at 1B). They could deal one of Joc and Verdugo and I guess it would get Muncy in the lineup somewhere every day, but like I said, it depends on what they expect from him. And knowing Pollock's injury history, keeping everyone could be an option.

Edited by soxfan2014

41 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

There OF isn't too crowded. If they didn't deal Verdugo or Pederson, it would be: Pederson/Hernandez platoon in LF, Pollock CF, Verdugo RF. Toles isn't much of an MLB player, Taylor is likely the starting 2B, and I think most would expect Muncy to regress really hard next year so he's likely mostly a bench bat as well (meaning Bellinger is at 1B). They could deal one of Joc and Verdugo and I guess it would get Muncy in the lineup somewhere every day, but like I said, it depends on what they expect from him. And knowing Pollock's injury history, keeping everyone could be an option.

The counterpoint is they've dealt with "overload" like this every year and made it work. What you are pointing out isn't terribly different than last year, and Verdugo having options to go back and forth makes it easier.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

The counterpoint is they've dealt with "overload" like this every year and made it work. What you are pointing out isn't terribly different than last year, and Verdugo having options to go back and forth makes it easier.

I wasn't making a point of them having too much depth. We're on  the same page. Plus Muncy and Taylor both play IF and OF. With the current way the team is constructed, they could even platoon Muncy and Taylor at 2B or just have Muncy off of the bench.

I do expect one of Verdugo and Joc moved, but it isn't like it needs to happen. Dealing Kemp and Puig unclogged the overcrowded OF.

Edited by soxfan2014

3 hours ago, Capital G said:

I could see Dodgers winning with a package of Ruiz easily, especially if the "aggressive" reds package is mostly around India.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I wasn't making a point of them having too much depth. We're on  the same page. Plus Muncy and Taylor both play IF and OF. With the current way the team is constructed, they could even platoon Muncy and Taylor at 2B or just have Muncy off of the bench.

Sorry gotcha. I get caught up in re-enforcing that the best teams in the league have redundancies that they aren't scared of. There is consistent discussion here about trading a guy because someone else is there, when these teams would just keep both.

It may not guarantee a World Series as we've seen, but it pushes odds in your favor for competing for division by not seeing big dropoffs from injuries and slumps.

• Like 1

This literally feels like it will never end. At the beginning of the winter meetings I was checking this site non-stop. Now, I just assume there will be no news, and when I do check-in, I am correct.

I really think that Lozano, and Boras for that matter, are shocked that teams are not outbidding each other for their services. I would guess the offers are at least $100 million less than expected.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

So what happens if hypothetically the Sox sign Machado for, say, 175 million and it later comes out that the owners were in fact colluding to suppress salaries? Nothing?

In the 1980s, a fine was forced by owners that was paid out directly to the Players Association. They also allowed the players affected to look for better contracts as free agents while not terminating their current ones.

If JR is caught in a collusion case again, I would hope the mlb would force him out but that's hilarious and would never happen.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

In the 1980s, a fine was forced by owners that was paid out directly to the Players Association. They also allowed the players affected to look for better contracts as free agents while not terminating their current ones.

If JR is caught in a collusion case again, I would hope the mlb would force him out but that's hilarious and would never happen.

There isn't a possibility of owners being ousted as the owners doing the colluding would need to include the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs as they are the obvious ones who would be able to afford this type of contract.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

There isn't a possibility of owners being ousted as the owners doing the colluding would need to include the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs as they are the obvious ones who would be able to afford this type of contract.

Those are the fishiest ones for sure. I would not be at all surprised if there is some sort of handshake agreement to get and stay under luxury tax

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Sure but none of those owners were involved in the collusion cases of the 80s as JR was. I mean, one of the main collusion cases was the white sox getting carlton fisk after Reinsdorf told Steinbrenner to back off. Sox getting Machado on collusion on a deal cheaper than expected after the phillies pledged stupid money? I won't blame players for thinking something was up again. 

I once thought that the collusion talk would never have happened if not for the stupid contract the Marlins gave Stanton.  Two other gigantic contracts to Pujois and Cabrera could be more easily rationalized.  MLPBA believes that these contracts should automatically be exceeded.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I once thought that the collusion talk would never have happened if not for the stupid contract the Marlins gave Stanton.  Two other gigantic contracts to Pujois and Cabrera could be more easily rationalized.  MLPBA believes that these contracts should automatically be exceeded.

So the problem is the contract for the player who is still really good and not the 2 terrible contracts?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres