Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

51 minutes ago, mqr said:

Those are the fishiest ones for sure. I would not be at all surprised if there is some sort of handshake agreement to get and stay under luxury tax

The Cubs are already at $229 million.

You can’t force Harper on them...after watching Darvish and Heyward, most of their fanbase is at best neutral and many are openly against another mega contract, instead preferring to invest in extensions for their own players.

The a Red Sox just won a World Series being over the first tax threshold.

The Dodgers are proving big spending doesn’t guarantee a World Series win.

8 minutes ago, Baron said:

I mean if the Padres sign him that's not a good thing in pretty much every aspect. 

Really...this just pushes the Phillies to up their offer into "stupid money" and they get him...while we get Machado at a bit higher clip than we are comfortable with...and a range that SD will NEVER reach. My guess on this is that Harper goes to Phillies at 10/335 and Sox land Machado at 8/275

Boras gets his guy highest contract ever...Lozano settles for less years but a high AAV and both agents can blow their gross wads into cocaine and 3rd summer houses. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

58 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There isn't a possibility of owners being ousted as the owners doing the colluding would need to include the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs as they are the obvious ones who would be able to afford this type of contract.

But those teams are all at or near the tax and penalty threshold. The problem here is that the PA agreed to the current system which for all intents are purposes is a salary cap, but without getting the benefit of revenue sharing. They can't blame the huge market teams for not breaking rules they agreed upon.

• Thanks 1

Both Lozano and Boras know that its beneficial for their clients to have at least three teams seriously involved in the bidding. Its the only way they can really maximize each deal. They were both going to make sure that this happened before they sign anything. Its getting closer to an end in the life cycle of all of this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shipps said:

Both Lozano and Boras know that its beneficial for their clients to have at least three teams seriously involved in the bidding. Its the only way they can really maximize each deal. They were both going to make sure that this happened before they sign anything. Its getting closer to an end in the life cycle of all of this. 

-We all say for the 17th time in the the last month and a half

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Sure but none of those owners were involved in the collusion cases of the 80s as JR was. I mean, one of the main collusion cases was the white sox getting carlton fisk after Reinsdorf told Steinbrenner to back off. Sox getting Machado on collusion on a deal cheaper than expected after the phillies pledged stupid money? I won't blame players for thinking something was up again. 

I don't blame the players either. But no one will get ousted because if JR goes down those other owners will be implicated as well.

1 hour ago, Whitesox27 said:

I remember it was early December when the first rumors came out...I was supposed to be studying for my finals but I was glued to this forum/Twitter because I really thought something was going to happen then. We're now 2 months past that and nothing has changed. 🤦🏻‍♂

Weird how you would let a guy you called a piece of shit and a scumbag during the NLCS get into your head so much. You would think someone with such strong negative feelings towards a player wouldn’t want them near their team

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

But those teams are all at or near the tax and penalty threshold. The problem here is that the PA agreed to the current system which for all intents are purposes is a salary cap, but without getting the benefit of revenue sharing. They can't blame the huge market teams for not breaking rules they agreed upon.

So what collusion is there? JR made an agreement with the Pirates not to spend 250 million? If it's not those teams it's hard to imagine who the Sox need to collude with to keep the price down. 

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So what collusion is there? JR made an agreement with the Pirates not to spend 250 million? If it's not those teams it's hard to imagine who the Sox need to collude with to keep the price down. 

I'm not accusing collusion. Mid-market teams are scared to commit that much money to one player, even at a discount of maybe $100m. Big market teams are near the ceiling, the Mets, Giants and Mariners are all hot messes, and about a third of the league is trying to lose. You're down to the Sox and Phillies vying for both Harper and Machado. Seems pretty straight forward here. But if there is collusion, you can't blame the Yankees.  They can't just spend like crazy and laugh at the tax like they could 15 years ago. There are substantial penalties now.

11 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

I'm not accusing collusion. Mid-market teams are scared to commit that much money to one player, even at a discount of maybe $100m. Big market teams are near the ceiling, the Mets, Giants and Mariners are all hot messes, and about a third of the league is trying to lose. You're down to the Sox and Phillies vying for both Harper and Machado. Seems pretty straight forward here. But if there is collusion, you can't blame the Yankees.  They can't just spend like crazy and laugh at the tax like they could 15 years ago. There are substantial penalties now.

Ok. My whole discussion was regarding the discussion of JR being ousted if collusion was found.

59 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

Weird how you would let a guy you called a piece of shit and a scumbag during the NLCS get into your head so much. You would think someone with such strong negative feelings towards a player wouldn’t want them near their team

Also weird is how a guy who joined December 13th is talking about what specific people were posting in October. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Don't underestimate stupidity on the part of rich people. In the Kaepernick case, all the NFL owners had to do was decide individually that "my team isn't going to deal with the racist fans getting angry if we sign this guy". If that was all that happened, then that collusion case would have been thrown out. Instead, Kaepernick's side presented an arbitrator with enough evidence that last fall he allowed the case to proceed, meaning that at some point some of the owners were dumb enough to actually have the conversation amongst themselves where they agreed that "the ______ will never play football again".

They  may not have struck an agreement, but if they shared information about their belief that salaries for certain players had gotten too high and suggested levels they wouldn't be willing to pay for certain players, that conversation could be collusion.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Don't underestimate stupidity on the part of rich people. In the Kaepernick case, all the NFL owners had to do was decide individually that "my team isn't going to deal with the racist fans getting angry if we sign this guy". If that was all that happened, then that collusion case would have been thrown out. Instead, Kaepernick's side presented an arbitrator with enough evidence that last fall he allowed the case to proceed, meaning that at some point some of the owners were dumb enough to actually have the conversation amongst themselves where they agreed that "the ______ will never play football again".

They  may not have struck an agreement, but if they shared information about their belief that salaries for certain players had gotten too high and suggested levels they wouldn't be willing to pay for certain players, that conversation could be collusion.

There is so much wrong with this that it doesn't surprise me that it is true.

7 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

From the athletic. pretty much says manny wont take a meeting without an actual offer from SD. pretty much says, in my mind, that he doesn't want to play there.

Or you put out there that you won't take a meeting without an offer and then take the meeting anyway so other teams think you have another offer even if you really don't

2 hours ago, Kiebs13 said:

per jon morosi...active suitors...

Nationals are actually out. Check out the history between Boras and the Nats. Nats still have good relationship with Harper. It makes business sense for the Nats to pretend to be involved as it is another suitor. More suitors helps Boras Corp and Harper. Them saying they're out hurts Boras Corp and Harper. As such, Nationals don't address their involvement in the rumors. 

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Nationals are actually out. Check out the history between Boras and the Nats. Nats still have good relationship with Harper. It makes business sense for the Nats to pretend to be involved as it is another suitor. More suitors helps Boras Corp and Harper. Them saying they're out hurts Boras Corp and Harper. As such, Nationals don't address their involvement in the rumors. 

What would you say the White Sox level of involvement actually is with Harper?

Edited by Kiebs13
typo...

37 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

From the athletic. pretty much says manny wont take a meeting without an actual offer from SD. pretty much says, in my mind, that he doesn't want to play there.

DyQzpxAU8AAzn3Q.jpg:large

This is exactly what I was afraid of by that stupid 7/175 report floating around.  It got someone's interest.

2 minutes ago, Kiebs13 said:

What would you say the White Sox level of involvement actually is with Harper?

They're involved but quiet. In a word, provisional. Not much the teams can do. They're waiting the agents out. They agents are running out of time. 

• Thanks 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres