Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly what I was afraid of by that stupid 7/175 report floating around.  It got someone's interest.

I think you're missing the biggest point of the screenshot. Manny wont even meet with SD without an offer on the table.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

They're involved but quiet. In a word, provisional. Not much the teams can do. They're waiting the agents out. They agents are running out of time. 

But still more involved with manny? Or is that just what the media is pushing?

1 minute ago, Kiebs13 said:

I think you're missing the biggest point of the screenshot. Manny wont even meet with SD without an offer on the table.

The biggest point is that the market has stayed tepid because there were only two teams for two superstars involved.  If you start getting another team involved, that balance is thrown off.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The biggest point is that the market has stayed tepid because there were only two teams for two superstars involved.  If you start getting another team involved, that balance is thrown off.

I’m not at all scared by San Diego. If they were a true threat, they would have been it in from the beginning. They might drive the price up, but I’m not worried about them outbidding the Sox. And I also believe Manny wants to play with the Sox more than he wants to play with the Padres. 

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

SD was out originally because Machado was too expensive. If they beat our bid, Lozano calls us right away and we beat it back, and then the Padres bow out.

This is what Alonso, Jay, and a great pitch bought us - rights to the last bid. Unless NY comes sweeping in, I think the Sox are Machado's preferred destination. We have no incentive to bid against ourselves because we will always be given a chance to make a higher offer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

SD was out originally because Machado was too expensive. If they beat our bid, Lozano calls us right away and we beat it back, and then the Padres bow out.

This is what Alonso, Jay, and a great pitch bought us - rights to the last bid. Unless NY comes sweeping in, I think the Sox are Machado's preferred destination. We have no incentive to bid against ourselves because we will always be given a chance to make a higher offer.

But seeing as we haven't signed him, I don't think you can say we know what the teams pain point is.

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But if another team is only involved at a lower price than the player wants to accept, nothing has really changed. If the White Sox were TRULY never gonna go higher than 7/175, they were never gonna win in the first place. 

I remain convinced they’re just waiting for someone to force them to bid higher, which was always gonna happen. You don’t win the free agent unless you bid higher than every other team. We’re just waiting to see what that number looks like. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Couldn’t agree more. Sitting back and waiting is our best move right now, but that’s what makes it so frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

But if another team is only involved at a lower price than the player wants to accept, nothing has really changed. If the White Sox were TRULY never gonna go higher than 7/175, they were never gonna win in the first place. 

I remain convinced they’re just waiting for someone to force them to bid higher, which was always gonna happen. You don’t win the free agent unless you bid higher than every other team. We’re just waiting to see what that number looks like. 

And I completely agree with this, as well. Sox are in great shape right now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

But we still don't know what the number will be.  If the Padres thought he would be a $350 million contract at the beginning of the off season, but could have only gone to $300 internally, so they didn't bother early on, they could still offer that $300 million and hit the Sox pain threshold.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But we still don't know what the number will be.  If the Padres thought he would be a $350 million contract at the beginning of the off season, but could have only gone to $300 internally, so they didn't bother early on, they could still offer that $300 million and hit the Sox pain threshold.

This is possible, but pretty unlikely. It would mean the Sox had a cap of $300 and thought that was good enough to be in it from the beginning, while the Padres also had a cap of $300 and they decided to sit out until late January. 

The much more likely scenario is that Manny wants to play for the Sox and his agent is doing everything in his power to increase the price. 

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Guys, let’s close this thread now. This Padres fan responded to my tweet. He actually dm me and told me he has a real source 😂. Machado has been in SD since Tuesday trying to squeeze 15 million out of the Padres lol

Unless he means $15 million per year, he is full of it.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly what I was afraid of by that stupid 7/175 report floating around.  It got someone's interest.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These are two different points. If the Sox cap was 250, and the Padres was 300, then we were always screwed. Even if we bid 250 to start, the Padres would have come in. If the Padres cap is 225, yes they might come in above 175... but then we move to 250.

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

These are two different points. If the Sox cap was 250, and the Padres was 300, then we were always screwed. Even if we bid 250 to start, the Padres would have come in. If the Padres cap is 225, yes they might come in above 175... but then we move to 250.

The Padres came in because the public reporting on offers was low.  If those offers don't get leaked and fought about, there is s decent chance they wouldn't have known enough to even call about them.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because then it becomes a game of musical chairs. When the music stops.....someone's left without a whale.

48 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

And I completely agree with this, as well. Sox are in great shape right now. 

They are in great shape.  We're 2 weeks out from spring training and heavily involved in conversations with both superstars and their agents!

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Padres came in because the public reporting on offers was low.  If those offers don't get leaked and fought about, there is s decent chance they wouldn't have known enough to even call about them.

My bad, I misinterpreted the first quote as you being mad about the offer itself, not the potentially false reports about it. I see your point now. The reports certainly make it less likely that we steal Machado for cheap.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres