Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe location is more important to them than the money. 

Not a chance. That is what an opt out is for. If they outplay the contract, they have a chance to bank on a huge payday and maybe even more inflated salaries down the line. No way they take a 30 million dollar deal and risk injury ruining their gravy train. Would the Yankees pay that money for a guy who definitely wouldn't play hard on a one year deal to protect himself?

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is getting to the point where I think that Harper and Machado are going to take one year deals to stick it to the man. If Harper really wants to play for the Cubs, he'd have that opportunity in 2020. If Machado really wants to play in NY, and the Yankees are out, maybe he can convince the Mets to get involved on a 1 year deal and re-sign in season. The biggest mystery to me is why the Mets aren't in on Machado. 

Why would either of them take a 1 year deal when they will get hundreds of millions of dollars now? They could get hurt at some point next season and never be the same. There is no point for either of these guys to bet on themselves and take a 1 year pillow deal. It's way too risky.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Not a chance. That is what an opt out is for. If they outplay the contract, they have a chance to bank on a huge payday and maybe even more inflated salaries down the line. No way they take a 30 million dollar deal and risk injury ruining their gravy train. Would the Yankees pay that money for a guy who definitely wouldn't play hard on a one year deal to protect himself?

The risk of getting seriously injured as an MLB position player is  pretty minimal. If they were pitchers, I'd agree. 

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

Why would either of them take a 1 year deal when they will get hundreds of millions of dollars now? They could get hurt at some point next season and never be the same. There is no point for either of these guys to bet on themselves and take a 1 year pillow deal. It's way too risky.

See my other post: How many position players get seriously injured during a seaosn? I'd say it is around 5-10 and usually doesn't happen to stars. What happened to Corey Seager is unusual. 

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nah, I'm just tired of the whole saga. I just want it to be over, tbh. Shit or get off the pot to all involved,

Maybe you need a snickers. Love you Parkman but you know how you get when you're hungry.

Edited by smellysox
  • Haha 1

The risk of getting seriously injured as an MLB position player is  pretty minimal. If they were pitchers, I'd agree. 

To be fair, Manny has had an injury history before so maybe he thinks about that. Bryce is coming off a down year, and if he has another, he may not see this deal again. 

Let’s say hypothetically kris Bryant was a an FA last off-season and took a pillow deal for this year. He got hurt and wasn’t himself. Now it’s likely that next year he’ll go back to being kris Bryant, but nobody knows for sure and the contract will reflect that. He just cost himself 50-75 million dollars. 

Its not a risk worth taking because he wanted to play somewhere that wasn’t interested. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Then log off, rather that make claims that Manny is going to sign because of where a team has their spring training home, or that both players are taking one year deals..that’s different than being “tired of the whole saga”

I'm just saying not to discount those things happening. I would not be surprised at all if Harper and Machado took one year deals. I also wouldn't be surprised if the ST location was an important part of Machado's decision making process, It just seems to me that location is more important than money to both of these guys. Manny wants to play in NY and Harper wants to play for a national brand. I'd imagine if the Mets got involved with Machado it would be over pretty quickly and he'd sign with them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

See my other post: How many position players get seriously injured during a seaosn? I'd say it is around 5-10 and usually doesn't happen to stars. What happened to Corey Seager is unusual. 

Kris Bryant, Miggy, Judge, Eaton, Pollock, are a few that come to mind. 

19 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm sure the Padres had no idea Machado's offers were that low even though they are a professional organization with all kinds of connections. They needed an Internet report to tell them the offer. Or......... they knew the offer or its ballpark, and waited to see if other teams would drive the price up. After a few months, no one has, so that means no one probably will. Now they can make a low offer to both and sell a great future knowing they have a legit chance. They don't have to fear the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox or Yankkes. 

Yet, here we are after reports that exactly that happened.

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kris Bryant, Miggy, Judge, Eaton, Pollock, are a few that come to mind. 

Miggy is old, Judge didn't miss the whole season and he was still really good when he played.  Bryant I'll give you. Pollock is a good player, but nowhere near the level of HarpChado, and Pollock has been injured a lot over the years. 

There really are just a handful of position players that get hurt in a season, Those guys and Corey Seager are about all that come to mind. 

I've been arguing since about a week into the year that they're taking one year deals, and I don't see any reason why I should change my mind. They know their value, and they want to play for certain teams. If they don't get what they want this year, they'll play this year and go back on the market next year. 

There are a lot of factors going into their decision other than money, especially Harper. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Miggy is old, Judge didn't miss the whole season and he was still really good when he played.  Bryant I'll give you. Pollock is a good player, but nowhere near the level of HarpChado, and Pollock has been injured a lot over the years. 

There really are just a handful of position players that get hurt in a season, Those guys and Corey Seager are about all that come to mind. 

Any odds above 0% is not worth gambling that much money on. Especially if your a guy with past knee surgeries

So basically Manny went into the offseason thinking he'd get 10 years $350 million and play for the team he's always dreamed of playing for. Now he's looking at 8 years $250 million for a team he's probably never thought much about one way or another and hasn't been to the playoffs in 10 years. You can see why he probably has the inclination to wait and see if his prospects improve.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

At this point, I don’t think having this done by start of ST is important at all to the big 2.  Who wouldn’t want to try to get a few more millions while missing “practice”.  Hahn even acknowledged it could go to March.

Its not a popular opinion, but I could see it dragging into the regular season.

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've been arguing since about a week into the year that they're taking one year deals, and I don't see any reason why I should change my mind. They know their value, and they want to play for certain teams. If they don't get what they want this year, they'll play this year and go back on the market next year. 

There are a lot of factors going into their decision other than money, especially Harper. 

The point I was making is that it's possible for good players to get hurt. Any injury to Machado and Harper this year on a one year deal hurts big time. If they miss 60 games it will hurt their next contracts. 

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So the problem is the contract for the player who is still really good and not the 2 terrible contracts?

No, the problem is that the MLBPA thinks all these contracts should be exceeded by Machado/Harper deals, otherwise the word collusion applies.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet, here we are after reports that exactly that happened.

The smae reports that have been wrong about everything. Hell, we don't even know if the 7/175 is correct. Again, MLB teams aren't stupid, they know what's going on in the game. Odds are, they are even colluding to keep contracts down. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The smae reports that have been wrong about everything. Hell, we don't even know if the 7/175 is correct. Again, MLB teams aren't stupid, they know what's going on in the game. Odds are, they are even colluding to keep contracts down. 

The report of 7/175 doesn't have to be correct.  It just had to get the Padres to call on Machado. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The report of 7/175 doesn't have to be correct.  It just had to get the Padres to call on Machado. 

The report prior to the 175 offer was 8 and 225 as the bid. So again, are we to believe the Padres had no inclination the bidding for him was low? Are we to believe Machado's agent hasn't called other teams trying to get a take for his client to beat the bid? 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

The report prior to the 175 offer was 8 and 225 as the bid. So again, are we to believe the Padres had no inclination the bidding for him was low? Are we to believe Machado's agent hasn't called other teams trying to get a take for his client to beat the bid? 

Why would Machado or his agent brag about low offers? If you were his agent and only had a 7/175, would you want that out there? Would you be telling other teams that it was the high bid?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres