Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

I know this is totally random and off topic, but has Eloy ever said what number he will wear in the bigs? Id love to customize a jersey with him on it, but dont know for sure what he'll wear. I figured this thread gets the most traffic to ask this.

Edited by Ross Gload Fan

Just now, Ross Gload Fan said:

I know tjis is totally random and off topic, but has Eloy ever said what number he will wear in the bigs? Id love to customize a jersey with him on it, but dont know for sure what he'll wear. I figured this thread gets the most traffic to ask this.

He was signing #74 at SoxFest, but double check on that.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is legally not allowed and would give the MLB substantial legal authority as the strike itself would be a violation of clauses in the CBA. I believe that teams could start canceling guaranteed contracts with players legally. 

I did not know that. I always thought that US labor law allowed for strikes whether there was an existing agreement or not. I've heard of unions striking because they were unhappy with their current contract. Maybe it is different for pro sports because there is an antitrust exemption. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I did not know that. I always thought that US labor law allowed for strikes whether there was an existing agreement or not. I've heard of unions striking because they were unhappy with their current contract. Maybe it is different for pro sports because there is an antitrust exemption. 

I believe it might be possible for a union to have negotiated a "strikes allowed" clause in a contract that stands with the NLRB, but it is also possible to put a "no strike" clause in a contract, and until that contract expires a strike under that clause is illegal unless you're striking due to something  like unsafe working conditions.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe it might be possible for a union to have negotiated a "strikes allowed" clause in a contract that stands with the NLRB, but it is also possible to put a "no strike" clause in a contract, and until that contract expires a strike under that clause is illegal unless you're striking due to something  like unsafe working conditions.

Ok, makes sense that it has to be  an incredibly egregious  abuse of managerial power to strike during a contract.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Thomas’ was a season-ending triceps injury in May (David Wells criticized him for not playing hurt) , but the point still remains that Machado could also blow out his elbow on a throw, tear his Achilles’ tendon, blow out his ACL, etc.

No way either guy signs a one year deal...their agents would never accept it, nor would the MLBPA.

1 hour ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

I know this is totally random and off topic, but has Eloy ever said what number he will wear in the bigs? Id love to customize a jersey with him on it, but dont know for sure what he'll wear. I figured this thread gets the most traffic to ask this.

I would speculate it is 21 due to his twitter handle, but Castillo is wearing that right now. Castillo could go back to 53. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can’t believe anyone can think Lopez is what he is for the most part.  He pitched quite well down the stretch and has significant room for improvement.  I think he’s ends up a 4 win pitcher next year.

Rodon & Moncada easily have the most room for improvement IMO.  Anderson will always be limited due to his below average plate discipline, but can get a little better with more consistent defense.  Giolito is a wild card, but I still don’t see anything more than #3 starter even if his mechanics finally click.

I'm quoting this again because I found the perfect player comparison for Lopez if he reaches his ceiling: Surprise! it is another ALC pitcher: Carlos Carrasco. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carraca01.shtml

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I would speculate it is 21 due to his twitter handle, but Castillo is wearing that right now. Castillo could go back to 53. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/eloy-jimenez-on-his-white-sox-future-and-the-first-hell-accomplish-on-day-1/amp/

Eloy's going to rock #74, and I can't wait for it...love it when some random numbers get play in MLB.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

@Jack Parkman @CWSpalehoseCWS @Ross Gload Fan

There was an article about Eloy (which I cannot find) and in it his jersey number was discussed and he said he's going to wear 74 because, something to the effect of, no other player has made it famous and he wants to.

Edit- @Sleepy Harold found it for us :)

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/sports/eloy-jimenez-on-his-white-sox-future-and-the-first-hell-accomplish-on-day-1/amp/

Eloy's going to rock #74, and I can't wait for it...love it when some random numbers get play in MLB.

Agree. I always wished Beckham would have kept 86 which he wore in ST. Abreu picking 79 for the same reason Eloy is taking 74 was pretty cool, too.

I know I have been pessimistic about our front office this offseason but I have a theory. What if the Sox have wanted Harper from the start but felt like the feeling wasn’t mutual so they ramped up their pursuit of Machado. But now they have been told by Boras that Harper is considering them so they put Machados offer on ice or have refused to up it? Is this a likely possibility?

Edited by Orlando

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I know I have been pessimistic about our front office this offseason but I have a theory. What if the Sox wanted Harper from the start but felt like the feeling wasn’t mutual so they ramped up their pursuit of Machado. But now they have been told by Boras that Harper is considering them so they put Machados offer on ice or have refused to up it? Is this a likely possibility?

We have discussed this option before but its hard to get past the Alonzo and Jay signings then. If Harper is their guy wtf was Hahn thinking bringing in Manny's buddies? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

We have discussed this option before but its hard to get past the Alonzo and Jay signings then. If Harper is their guy wtf was Hahn thinking bringing in Manny's buddies? 

Longshot, but Hahn has maintained that those were strictly baseball moves. What if getting them accomplished a couple things:

1. Veterans with good reps on the team.

2. Leverage to make Boras believe that they are all in on Machado.

3. An advantage in Machado negotiations in the event that Harper goes elsewhere.

I know I am giving the front office too much credit, but it’s something to consider.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres