Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I know I have been pessimistic about our front office this offseason but I have a theory. What if the Sox have wanted Harper from the start but felt like the feeling wasn’t mutual so they ramped up their pursuit of Machado. But now they have been told by Boras that Harper is considering them so they put Machados offer on ice or have refused to up it? Is this a likely possibility?

this is something they're doing simeltaneously. they're not working on one or the other. if one accepts they're offer the other missed out, it's as simple as that. there is not point for them to only work on one.

I'm official out on the monitoring of this situation...  I had a dream the sox signed machado for 10 years $340mm last night.. and that Hahn had a presser trashing the media about how awful their reporting was and that they doubled the $175mm rumors and the Sox are in it to win it.

The fact that this made my dreams scares me. It's infiltrated my subconscious. A new low.

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm official out on the monitoring of this situation...  I had a dream the sox signed machado for 10 years $340mm last night.. and that Hahn had a presser trashing the media about how awful their reporting was and that they doubled the $175mm rumors and the Sox are in it to win it.

The fact that this made my dreams scares me. It's infiltrated my subconscious. A new low.

you-will-be-5c546b.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, shipps said:

We have discussed this option before but its hard to get past the Alonzo and Jay signings then. If Harper is their guy wtf was Hahn thinking bringing in Manny's buddies? 

They're veteran players on short contracts who aren't blocking young talent and cost the team almost nothing to acquire. Not a huge deal.

I don't think Harper is their first choice. I think Machado is a much better fit for this team. However, as I have said, Harper is clearly the bigger fish and the bigger deal. If they want marketability and want the face of Major League Baseball to always have a White Sox cap on its head, that's the way they go.  Landing Harper does a lot more to wake up the fanbase and get the casual Chicago fans to start paying attention to the Sox again. Ultimately, winning is what matters, but I getting Harper signals to the world that the Sox are back. The Sox can't go wrong with either choice here. Unless they decide to be outbid and end up with neither player.

2 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

They're veteran players on short contracts who aren't blocking young talent and cost the team almost nothing to acquire. Not a huge deal.

I don't think Harper is their first choice. I think Machado is a much better fit for this team. However, as I have said, Harper is clearly the bigger fish and the bigger deal. If they want marketability and want the face of Major League Baseball to always have a White Sox cap on its head, that's the way they go.  Landing Harper does a lot more to wake up the fanbase and get the casual Chicago fans to start paying attention to the Sox again. Ultimately, winning is what matters, but I getting Harper signals to the world that the Sox are back. The Sox can't go wrong with either choice here. Unless they decide to be outbid and end up with neither player.

Alonso cost them 9 million, gave Indians salary relief to potentially keep their stellar staff together and is blocking Palka from getting at bats.  I like Alonso, but if they miss on Manny, it’s a ridiculous acquisition.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Alonso cost them 9 million, gave Indians salary relief to potentially keep their stellar staff together and is blocking Palka from getting at bats.  I like Alonso, but if they miss on Manny, it’s a ridiculous acquisition.

And Jay was 4 mil. It was definitely not an investment to just glance over. Especially not from a team that is as financially conscious as the Sox are. 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yup -- and for a front office that is highly suspect, it's moves like these that force the fans to think less optimistically about the future of the team. 

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

And Jay was 4 mil. It was definitely not an investment to just glance over. Especially not from a team that is as financially conscious as the Sox are. 

4  mil. Is nothing to the Sox with a payroll of 80 mil.  If the Sox had a payroll of 150 already I would agree. His contract is inconsequential as is Alonso at this time. The players aren't anything to really help the team but the contracts are nothing.

• Like 1

Jay at 4 million is fine. Is it 1 or 2 million over any other teams bid...probably. 1 or 2 million is not going to make any type of impact to other moves. The Alonso move is a 9 million dollar gamble that if we land Machado looks genius...and if we don't probably is a sunk cost, trade and awkward scenario Hahn can be a big boy and handle. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

It's only one year of salary commitment. The Sox aren't competing with the Indians this year anyway. And they're looking to trade Kluber, so it's not all that helpful for the Indians. Alonso will DH, Eloy will be in LF, and Palka can play RF in the instance they land nobody, which would obviously be disastrous. But if they land Harper, that just means they deprived the fans of getting to see Palka #108 it for a year. I still think Alonso will be a better player than Palka next year, so I wouldn't call it a ridiculous acquisition.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think it's pretty clear he is being used to deliver Manny. If for some reason they don't land Manny (I think they will), you hope Yonder has a solid half season and trade him at the deadline. The Sox have a ton of available resources. Yonder is just a way they're using those resources to acquire Machado, with potential upside at the deadline if they don't. 

12 minutes ago, shipps said:

Maybe the focus was manny at that point. But for whatever reason he hasn't signed. If the Sox switched gears and signed Harper instead, I would applaud that move. 

Just now, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

$4M is an investment to glance over. It's is nothing on a 1 year deal. Absolutely nothing. Even for the Sox.

Jay deal is fine, as they needed someone like him.  As for the person that said Indians still might trade Kluber, that is true.  But unloading Alonso made trading Kluber to open up salary less of a necessity.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

4  mil. Is nothing to the Sox with a payroll of 80 mil.  If the Sox had a payroll of 150 already I would agree. His contract is inconsequential as is Alonso at this time. The players aren't anything to really help the team but the contracts are nothing.

Exactly. It's a way for the Sox to use their available resources to acquire Machado, with potential upside if they perform. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jay deal is fine, as they needed someone like him.  As for the person that said Indians still might trade Kluber, that is true.  But unloading Alonso made trading Kluber to open up salary less of a necessity.

Perhaps, but I think they're trading Kluber regardless to be honest. They're a team that needs to get something for their assets. Now is the time for them to do it where Kluber is concerned. 

36 minutes ago, ptatc said:

31 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

$4M is an investment to glance over. It's is nothing on a 1 year deal. Absolutely nothing. Even for the Sox.

There must have been an ownership change that I wasn’t aware of.

I know it’s not our money so why should we care but 4 mil is still a lot of money, even in the eyes of millionaires. 

Like fathom said though,with Jay it would not be as big of a deal because we still could potentially use him.

3 minutes ago, shipps said:

There must have been an ownership change that I wasn’t aware of.

I know it’s not our money so why should we care but 4 mil is still a lot of money, even in the eyes of millionaires. 

Like fathom said though,with Jay it would not be as big of a deal because we still could potentially use him.

For any MLB team, a $4M investment for one year in a player is not significant. I understand $4M is a lot of money to an individual person. It is not significant to a MLB team. I'm looking at it from the White Sox perspective. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

For any MLB team, a $4M investment for one year in a player is not significant. I understand $4M is a lot of money to an individual person. It is not significant to a MLB team. I'm looking at it from the White Sox perspective. 

Do you see how nasty arbitration gets? Responsible FO’s fight tooth and nail to even pay someone $500k less. There are varying factors that go into in the grand scheme of things but nonetheless Gm’s have to count pennies and be responsible. They don’t approach their budget as 4 mil being nothing. 

Anyways, we will just disagree on this. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres