Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

13 minutes ago, shipps said:

Do you see how nasty arbitration gets? Responsible FO’s fight tooth and nail to even pay someone $500k less. There are varying factors that go into in the grand scheme of things but nonetheless Gm’s have to count pennies and be responsible. They don’t approach their budget as 4 mil being nothing. 

Anyways, we will just disagree on this. 

I didn't say GM's view $4M as nothing. But a MLB team, signing a 33 year old free agent OF to a 1 year, $4M contract is significantly different than a player in their 20's under team control getting +/- $500K or $4M in arbitration. Where arbitration is concerned, teams/players are setting values for future arbitration cases. In arbitration teams have control over the player, in free agency they do not. The markets are much different. 

Edited by Stealth G.O.A.T.

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Probably Fake news but Padres reddit love this guy. Also says SD are the favorite 

The athletic said yesterday machado won't even meet with them until they put an actual offer on the table so there is currently no offer to even "up". I'll take the word of the athletic over some dude named paul crane with 1200 followers lol

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Probably Fake news but Padres reddit love this guy. Also says SD are the favorite 

Dude sounds like he's full of crap. A week ago he said the Padres offered an 8 year contract and in a recent post he says its a 5-year contract for $175.  How the hell did the years go down? 

image.pngimage.png

Edited by EL1

17 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I didn't say GM's view $4M as nothing. But a MLB team, signing a 33 year old free agent OF to a 1 year, $4M contract is significantly different than a player in their 20's under team control getting +/- $500K or $4M in arbitration. Where arbitration is concerned, teams/players are setting values for future arbitration cases. In arbitration teams have control over the player, in free agency they do not. The markets are much different. 

The GM’s view is the only view that matters in the context of a ML team. The markets are different but the principle stays the same. 4 mil needs to be spent responsibly. Can teams recover easily from a 4 mil mistake? Yeah, it shouldn’t be much of a hit on the overall budget comittment but I will never be willing to think that Hahn just signed Jay and traded for Alonzo so casually that because “oh it’s not significant money in the grand scheme of things”. 

9 minutes ago, shipps said:

The GM’s view is the only view that matters in the context of a ML team. The markets are different but the principle stays the same. 4 mil needs to be spent responsibly. Can teams recover easily from a 4 mil mistake? Yeah, it shouldn’t be much of a hit on the overall budget comittment but I will never be willing to think that Hahn just signed Jay and traded for Alonzo so casually that because “oh it’s not significant money in the grand scheme of things”. 

The White Sox are going to make a large profit this year, whether or not they sign Machado/Harper. They weren't losing money when they had payrolls of $125 mil a few years back, and they aren't going to lose money now with an $80 mil payroll, especially since ticket prices and their TV rights have gone up since then. So, they have the $13 mil to spend on Jay and Yonder. They are both here for a year, using money that wouldn't be spent elsewhere, and not blocking young talent. That $13 mil is not going to come back to bite the Sox two years from now, like they can't trade for an ace at the deadline because they can't take on the extra $13 mil salary. They either spend the money this year or they don't. It won't influence the future at all.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, shipps said:

Well that isn't really what I said. I said a 1 year, $4M commitment to a free agent isn't significant because it really isn't to a MLB team. That's just a fact.

I also specifically said that they brought those players in for a purpose and that was to attract Machado. I think the view from the Sox perspective is that those resources can fall under the "acquiring Machado" category. I don't think they view spending $13M on two players, both on 1 year deals, as a big expenditure for the purpose it's serving. That's really all I'm saying. Even if they don't sign Manny, that $13M spent is not going to be relevant to what they do now or in the future. 

Edited by Stealth G.O.A.T.
  • Like 1

https://thebrandedsports.com/2019/02/01/majestic-website-is-hinting-where-the-two-biggest-names-are-going-to-sign/

Grain of salt but this article was very interesting. Linking Majestic's jersey stock with Free Agent signings. It makes a case that the Sox may be close with Machado. Phillies and Sox are the two teams almost sold out.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

https://thebrandedsports.com/2019/02/01/majestic-website-is-hinting-where-the-two-biggest-names-are-going-to-sign/

Grain of salt but this article was very interesting. Linking Majestic's jersey stock with Free Agent signings it makes a case that the Sox may be close with Machado.

I don't think much of it. I think they're just trying to sell some jersey's and using the free agent marketing rumblings to do it. Pretty sure this is the last year of Majestic's contract with MLB. I think Nike takes over in 2020. The Under Armor deal fell through. 

1 minute ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I don't think much of it. I think they're just trying to sell some jersey's and using the free agent marketing rumblings to do it. Pretty sure this is the last year of Majestic's contract with MLB. I think Nike takes over in 2020. The Under Armor deal fell through. 

I just find it interesting that the Phillies, White Sox and Nationals are almost sold out. The Nationals also signed the 3rd biggest FA this year so if it's a coincidence, it's an interesting one nonetheless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

If that's the case they are doing a poor job because they would be sold out of the jerseys that there are rumblings about. This is saying this typically happens when the team makes a big purchase.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

If that's the case they are doing a poor job because they would be sold out of the jerseys that there are rumblings about. This is saying this typically happens when the team makes a big purchase.

Yeah, I guess I just read it as fans can buy them as well as teams. Maybe I misread. I only skimmed it fast. Could be my mistake. 

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres