Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

That's what common sense was telling me. Why would teams buy at $100 a pop.... I mean, they are the literal team. They aren't buying the secondary market. They probably aren't buying at the wholesale market. Teams are buying their jerseys from the source.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

So White Sox fans are buying a ton of blank jerseys en masse? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me 

Is it just possible they don't make as many White Sox ones as they do Red Sox/Yankees?  Legit question, not a rhetorical question.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is it just possible they don't make as many White Sox ones as they do Red Sox/Yankees?  Legit question, not a rhetorical question.

Probably. They may have forgot about the white sox jerseys this year.

There is probably nothing to this report, but here are a few points:

1) I don't know if he's saying that the team buys the jerseys from Majestic's website and pays $100 for them. But the team *would* get the jerseys directly from Majestic for the wholesale price, which would then reflect the stock which was available for fans to buy.

2) Majestic is now owned by Fanatics, and it was recently announced that Majestic will keep producing the on-field jerseys next year, which will be Nike branded. So it's not like Majestic is going to stop making White Sox jerseys a year in advance of the Nike deal because they don't want all that dead stock. The replicas are likely to be the same this year as next, with the only difference being the manufacturer logo.  The replicas have heat-pressed Majestic logos, so they would probably just leave those off the extra stock and press the swoosh on next year.

3) While there's probably no fan rush of jersey purchases based on the Yonder trade, I don't think the Sox buying up a bunch of jerseys is a smoking gun here. We know from many reports and our insiders that the Sox are confident they will land one of the two whales. They could have just bought the jerseys because they think they'll end up with one of them, and not because they are closing in on a deal with Machado.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Orlando said:

https://thebrandedsports.com/2019/02/01/majestic-website-is-hinting-where-the-two-biggest-names-are-going-to-sign/

Grain of salt but this article was very interesting. Linking Majestic's jersey stock with Free Agent signings. It makes a case that the Sox may be close with Machado. Phillies and Sox are the two teams almost sold out.

If you go to the website, there are two versions of the jersey: one from Fanatics, and one labeled "Manufacturer Direct item". The MDI are fully available, so I'm pretty sure the theory is bogus.

Anyway, the Sox wouldn't buy them blank and stitch them for sale to the public. They buy them blank so they can be stitched for a player if a jersey rips during the season. I don't think the Sox are doing bulk sewing for fans.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This jersey thing is even more of a reach than the Manny possibly wearing a Sox hat video from a few weeks ago.

Yeah, that video showed absolutely nothing. I am not sure why it was ever a thing. People are grasping at straws for any shred of evidence or they just want to draw attention to themselves by posting stuff like that. Its a very frustrating time to be a Sox fan. 

28 minutes ago, G&T said:

If you go to the website, there are two versions of the jersey: one from Fanatics, and one labeled "Manufacturer Direct item". The MDI are fully available, so I'm pretty sure the theory is bogus.

Anyway, the Sox wouldn't buy them blank and stitch them for sale to the public. They buy them blank so they can be stitched for a player if a jersey rips during the season. I don't think the Sox are doing bulk sewing for fans.

These $100 jerseys are not the authentic on-field jerseys. Those are much more money. The team is given a stock of jerseys each year from Majestic, as part of their contract. They have an in-house seamstress who sews on the names/numbers for each player and coach jersey.

Anyway, they do sell the $100 replicas (both player jerseys and blank) in the team store. They aren't going to have the poor team seamstress customize 10,000 Machado jerseys, but they could be buying those to send them to local shops. I'm not sure if Granstand customizes themselves currently. They used to send their jerseys to Exclusive Pro Sports in Rockford. Anyway, EPS could easily turn several thousand blank jerseys into Machado jerseys.

So again, I'm not saying that it proves anything, but this would fit in with the Sox wanting to stock up in hopes they will land Harper or Machado and suddenly have a demand for thousands of new jerseys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Can we establish some kind of alert system so people can know when these guys actually sign?  Maybe black smoke for the Sox, red smoke for Phillies or something???

What more will you need? Every major news outlet and media outlet will be covering it. If you don't know within the first hour they sign, you sure as hell will know within the next 5 hours just by existing.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres