Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

10 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

indnrjbg9du11.gif?width=452&s=8009412a90

The Wedding Singer...for some reason, thought Lovitz had died, but he’s just 61.   Steve Buscemi and the Dead or Alive singer doing You Spin Me Round over and over again, maybe my favorite was Sandler’s sidekick, the limo driver and his string of innuendoes that would never fly today.

Good first date movie.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Wedding Singer...for some reason, thought Lovitz had died, but he’s just 61.   Steve Buscemi and the Dead or Alive singer doing You Spin Me Round over and over again, maybe my favorite was Sandler’s sidekick, the limo driver and his string of innuendoes that would never fly today.

Good first date movie.

Buscemi's wife just died but Lovitz is alive and well, still doing standup even.

• Like 1

“The Harper and Machado contracts will finally happen, and they will be crazy complicated.

This winter, I really didn't want to be that guy who makes a prediction (read: educated, but ultimately a blind guess) in November and then altered it as we got a better read on the market. I wanted to stick to my guns (read: I didn't mind looking really dumb), and that meant maintaining my stance that Machado would sign with the Yankees and Harper would wind up with the Cardinals.

At this point, neither club looks especially eager or likely to back me up on this. But rather than humbly pivoting to alternative predictions (read: a little more educated, but still basically blind guesses) that are somehow only going to make me look dumber, I'll just say this: The mega-contract, as we once knew it, is effectively gone. Machado and Harper will be proof that it has been replaced with a different sort of deal that has Ben Zobrist-like versatility.

We saw the seeds of this with Arrieta's Phillies deal, which was three years and $75 million, but with a player opt-out after 2019 or a team opt-in that voids that opt-out and tacks on two more years beyond 2020. Boras negotiated that deal and similarly strange opt-out/opt-in structures this winter in the Yusei Kikuchi contract with the Mariners and the Zach Britton deal with the Yankees.

It stands to reason that the Boras-negotiated Harper deal will also involve this creative clause, but with much higher dollars and much more significant stakes for player and team. I think Harper's contract will have a range that lasts anywhere from two to 12 years, with various opt-out possibilities in between. Teams don't want to totally commit to a player -- even a 26-year-old player -- for a decade-plus, and you have to wonder if a player like Harper might want a deal that gives him an opportunity to potentially reinvestigate his market after the next Collective Bargaining Agreement (post-2021).

Given these market conditions, it only stands to reason that Machado's contract with the Padres will be comparable in complexity to Harper's deal with the Phillies. (Oops.)”

Anthony Castrovince Mlb.com

39 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

That article was called bold predictions for February...meaning make up some stuff that will never happen. Context would have been nice...

It's kinda strange that Harper to the Phillies is a bold prediction. 

2 minutes ago, TitoMB345 said:

Yes. I am so over this. Just sign sooommeeewhere. Even if it's over the rainbow 🌈

The Cespedes/Upton/Gordon offseason a couple years ago was annoying too but that pales in comparison to this. We're a good 2+ months in to these negotiations and there's still no end in sight. Just brutal.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres