Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

1 hour ago, shipps said:

I wouldn’t worry about him being a role model or influence on our young Latin talent. Those guys are going to be who they are regardless of Manny’s influence m. I truly believe his personality quirks have been way overblown. There are bad dudes somewhere within every lineup, they don’t ruin the team dynamic . Especially when they are Uber talented. When it’s a bad team everyone focuses on the personality flaws of each guy but it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the cause of the team failure .

https://www.gaslampball.com/2019/2/1/18207040/what-if-san-diego-padres-manny-machado-bryce-harper-jt-realmuto

The idea of the Padres carrying a $160 million payroll based on past evidence isn’t very likely...yet that’s where the White Sox would be heading if everything goes right in 2021-23.

It’s going to be the biggest PR hit imaginable if he actually picked the Padres, for a number of obvious reasons.

Why:  At age 26, Machado would bring four All-Star appearances and two Gold Gloves to a team that has a clear need at shortstop and third base, and the idea of pairing him with Fernando Tatis Jr makes Padres fans weak in their knees. Long considered one of the best defenders at third base, Machado spent most of the 2018 season back at his original position of shortstop and proved that he can still handle the job. He’s coming off the best offensive year of his career, batting .297/.367/.538 with 37 home runs. He’s the complete package, a player who is always a threat at the plate and plays premium defensive positions. Since he debuted at age 19 and played a full season at age 20, he’s unusually young for a free agent, which means that he might still be getting better and he has a great chance of staying healthy and productive through a long contract. Oh, and supposedly Tatis has always idolized him. If you need more arguments for why Machado is an ideal fit for the Padres on paper, please read this piece by AJ Cassavell of MLB.com and this piece by Matt Snyder of CBSSports.com.

1 hour ago, mechee89 said:
____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X
  |    |   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ E S

N

also what's the category?

Edited by TheBlackSox8

4 hours ago, mechee89 said:
____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X
  |    |   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ E S

L

6 hours ago, shipps said:

I wouldn’t worry about him being a role model or influence on our young Latin talent. Those guys are going to be who they are regardless of Manny’s influence m. I truly believe his personality quirks have been way overblown. There are bad dudes somewhere within every lineup, they don’t ruin the team dynamic . Especially when they are Uber talented. When it’s a bad team everyone focuses on the personality flaws of each guy but it doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the cause of the team failure .

Yes, and I suspect that Eloy is going to emerge as the stronger leader, in any case. He seems to be such a magnetic figure, with an infectious personality. If he becomes the star, most people envision, he will likely become the team leader. He is very likable and would make a terrific role model. He is "the bess".

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Is Eloy projected to be a better on base guy than Machado?

Machado is not that good of an on base % hitter. The OBP projections from FanGraphs and Steamer have Eloy starting out at about where Manny is now. I suspect that Eloy will surpass Manny, in a couple of years, in that one category. I'm guessing that Eloy will ultimately be a .300 hitter, with an OBP closer to .400. However, of course, it's too early to tell.

10 hours ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

N

also what's the category?

It would be described as a feeling.

____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X,N
  |   /|   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ E S

7 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

L

____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X,N,L
  |   /|   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ L L _ _ _ _ _ L E S

8 minutes ago, mechee89 said:
____
  |    |     
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X,N,L
  |   /|   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ L L _ _ _ _ _ L E S

Gotta get more vowels. I’ll guess I

Edited by SoxBlanco

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Gotta get more vowels. I’ll guess I

I am going to allow you all to impose more death. We will now begin hanging a second man.

____
  |    |    | 
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X,N,L,I
  |   /|\   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ _ L L _ _ _ _ _ L E S

7 minutes ago, mechee89 said:

I am going to allow you all to impose more death. We will now begin hanging a second man.

____
  |    |    | 
  |   /|\   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Has to be an O

8 minutes ago, mechee89 said:

____
  |    |    | 
  |   /|\   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

O

11 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Has to be an O

____
  |    |    | 
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X,N,L,I,O
  |   /|\   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ O L L _ _ O _ _ L E S

4 minutes ago, mechee89 said:
____
  |    |    | 
  |    o     Guessed : E,R,A,S,D,X,N,L,I,O
  |   /|\   
  |   / \
  |   
 _|_
|   |______
|          |
|__________|

Word: _ O L L _ _ O _ _ L E S

T

https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/44755201946874/mlb-rumors-predicting-where-top-7-remaining-free-agents-land-bryce-harper-to-phillies-mystery-team-lands-manny-machado-yankees-sign-starter.html

NJ.com predicts Harper to Phils, Machado to Sox

Bryce Harper
Why it will happen: Philadelphia will find a way to make Harper a contract offer with the biggest annual salary and most money in history. Let’s say nine years, $326M. Team ‘stupid money’ gets its guy. At some point this winter, it feels like rumors pivoted from the Phillies truly pursuing Machado to going all-in on Harper. The left-handed slugger will join Rhys Hoskins to form one of the best lineup duos in the sport.

Manny Machado
Why it will happen: With Harper in Philadelphia, Machado’s best possible landing spot becomes Chicago over places like San Diego and Miami. For just over $250M, the White Sox get a future Hall of Famer and a building block to put prospects around. This could work, much like the majority of Machado’s time in Baltimore.

• Like 2

I just watched the "Manny Machado being Manny" video again. If the Sox don't sign him, watching that video might be a good way to get over the disappointment. He can be a hard guy to like, at times. I appreciate guys who play the game hard and play to win, but some of the stuff he has done is hard to appreciate.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I just watched the "Manny Machado being Manny" video again. If the Sox don't sign him, watching that video might be a good way to get over the disappointment. He can be a hard guy to like, at times. I appreciate guys who play the game hard and play to win, but some of the stuff he has done is hard to appreciate.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of AJ Pierzynski when he was here?

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres