Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

23 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I just watched the "Manny Machado being Manny" video again. If the Sox don't sign him, watching that video might be a good way to get over the disappointment. He can be a hard guy to like, at times. I appreciate guys who play the game hard and play to win, but some of the stuff he has done is hard to appreciate.

I truly think that stuff is behind him. This scrutiny is going to be the humbling and maturing he needs.

51 minutes ago, Quin said:

Different situation.

AJ batted left handed.

AJ was all about hustle and competition. Ozzie said you don't hate AJ quite as much if he is on your own team  Yes he could be offensive more like a Bill Belichick but the result was winning. 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Different situation.

AJ batted left handed.

Touche! LOL. Aside from "being left handed," A. J. was a very smart player, with a high baseball acumen. He could grate on opposing player's nerves, and I know that he had a reputation of being "one of the most hated players in baseball". If I had to sum up my impression of the difference between the two players, in respect to their character, I would say that A. J. seemed to enjoy playing a villain, but Machado seems to actually be one. With A. J. it was often a "work," in the tradition of Pro Wrestling, something for which he had a fascination. I think he enjoyed the theatrics. By contrast, Machado seems to be serious about being a jerk, at times. At any rate, it's all very subjective. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, pcq said:

AJ was all about hustle and competition. Ozzie said you don't hate AJ quite as much if he is on your own team  Yes he could be offensive more like a Bill Belichick but the result was winning. 

I think the exact Ozzie quote was: "If he's on the other team, you hate him. If he's on your team, ... you hate him, a little less". Comedic timing was one of Ozzie's gifts.

27 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Touche! LOL. Aside from "being left handed," A. J. was a very smart player, with a high baseball acumen. He could grate on opposing player's nerves, and I know that he had a reputation of being "one of the most hated players in baseball". If I had to sum up my impression of the difference between the two players, in respect to their character, I would say that A. J. seemed to enjoy playing a villain, but Machado seems to actually be one. With A. J. it was often a "work," in the tradition of Pro Wrestling, something for which he had a fascination. I think he enjoyed the theatrics. By contrast, Machado seems to be serious about being a jerk, at times. At any rate, it's all very subjective. 

Ask Aaron Boone or Ben Zobrist if they think it was just theatrics.  Or it would be interesting to hear Justin Morneau's take on when AJ ..... yes ... ran inside the line down to first and took a shot at Morneau's heel.  (hmmm, sounds familiar)

I enjoyed AJ when he was on the Sox but truth is he was a punk.  A lot of revisionist history there.

14 minutes ago, RTC said:

Ask Aaron Boone or Ben Zobrist if they think it was just theatrics.  Or it would be interesting to hear Justin Morneau's take on when AJ ..... yes ... ran inside the line down to first and took a shot at Morneau's heel.  (hmmm, sounds familiar)

I enjoyed AJ when he was on the Sox but truth is he was a punk.  A lot of revisionist history there.

Perhaps A. J. was more of a jerk than I thought. In any case, that does not however, make Machado any less of one. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I dont know Machado but AJ wasn't an act. He was an a$$hole as a person. Treated people like dirt.

• Like 1

The key to whether I'd give Manny eight years or more is his background. Does he work out in the winter much? What's he like in terms of being a competitor? Does he get after it in the offseason to make himself better or loaf a few months then get to it? You can laugh at intangibles, but with history of being a jerk on the field, I'd make damn well sure he at least is a fierce competitor and cares about his body to the final degree. It's not hard to find out this kind of stuff.

Otherwise I pass on an 8-year deal.

That said ... I'd like to see Jerry and the partners start spending some money on the team so I won't freak if we get Manny.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The key to whether I'd give Manny eight years or more is his background. Does he work out in the winter much? What's he like in terms of being a competitor? Does he get after it in the offseason to make himself better or loaf a few months then get to it? You can laugh at intangibles, but with history of being a jerk on the field, I'd make damn well sure he at least is a fierce competitor and cares about his body to the final degree. It's not hard to find out this kind of stuff.

Otherwise I pass on an 8-year deal.

That said ... I'd like to see Jerry and the partners start spending some money on the team so I won't freak if we get Manny.

We literally signed for one of his winter workout partners and traded for another one. 

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I think you got this completely backwards.  By all accounts, A.J. was a legitimate asshole and was hated by many of his own teammates.  I have yet to hear that Machado’s own teammates dislike him.

1 hour ago, RTC said:

Ask the Giants trainer who A.J. punched in the balls for no reason.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ask the Giants trainer who A.J. punched in the balls for no reason.

That allegation has been vehemently denied. I don't know what the truth is. Let's leave A. J. out of this discussion. I'm not the one who brought him into it. Whether, or not, A. J. was a jerk, or a club house cancer, is not the point. The question is; what kind of person is Machado? One has to wonder if his character is dampening interest in him. Why were the Yankees' brass divided on the decision to pursue him? Why did the Dodgers not have any interest in bringing him back, after he spent half of last season with them?

Edited by Lillian

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That allegation has been vehemently denied. I don't know what the truth is. Let's leave A. J. out of this discussion. I'm not the one who brought him into it. Whether, or not, A. J. was a jerk, or a club house cancer, is not the point. The question is; what kind of person is Machado?

It did happen. AJ got hit in the cajones during practice and went down. The trainer came over and asked him how he felt. AJ  punched there and told him, "like that." 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps A. J. was more of a jerk than I thought. In any case, that does not however, make Machado any less of one. 

Don’t disagree at all.  My point is just that fans change their opinion more than a bit when the jerk starts playing for the team you root for.  (see Rodman, Dennis) 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

It did happen. AJ got hit in the cajones during practice and went down. The trainer came over and asked him how he felt. AJ  punched there and told him, "like that." 

Yes, here is an account of what happened, just for the record:   "But it was in his first month with the Giants that the only truly disturbing Pierzynski incident took place. After he was hit in the groin by a foul ball during a spring training game, Pierzynski reportedly kneed trainer Stan Conte in the groin when Conte asked him how he felt. Pierzynski, who previously denied the incident took place, now says he kneed Conte to give himself some breathing room after three times asking Conte to let go of his chest protector and back away. Giants sources say the story took place as originally reported."

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Yes, here is an account of what happened, just for the record:   "But it was in his first month with the Giants that the only truly disturbing Pierzynski incident took place. After he was hit in the groin by a foul ball during a spring training game, Pierzynski reportedly kneed trainer Stan Conte in the groin when Conte asked him how he felt. Pierzynski, who previously denied the incident took place, now says he kneed Conte to give himself some breathing room after three times asking Conte to let go of his chest protector and back away. Giants sources say the story took place as originally reported."

Yes. Don't believe AJs version. Stan is a good guy. Stan was just checking on him as any trainer would do.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lillian said:

That allegation has been vehemently denied. I don't know what the truth is. Let's leave A. J. out of this discussion. I'm not the one who brought him into it. Whether, or not, A. J. was a jerk, or a club house cancer, is not the point. The question is; what kind of person is Machado? One has to wonder if his character is dampening interest in him. Why were the Yankees' brass divided on the decision to pursue him? Why did the Dodgers not have any interest in bringing him back, after he spent half of last season with them?

Other than trying to cleat guys’ ankles, what has Machado done that makes him so bad?  Like the “Johnny Hustle” comment was stupid, but that doesn’t make him a jerk.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Other than trying to cleat guys’ ankles, what has Machado done that makes him so bad?  Like the “Johnny Hustle” comment was stupid, but that doesn’t make him a jerk.

The two instances, in which he kicked the first basemen, in the Post Season. Throwing his bat at the third baseman, after being brushed back, by the pitcher. It is suggested that he meant to throw the bat at the pitcher, but it went to third, instead, which does not excuse the behavior. Getting all bent out of shape, when Donaldson tagged him out, while he was attempting to avoid the tag. Apparently, Manny thought that Josh tagged him too hard, which did not appear to be the case. The dirty slides at second base, which have exceeded even the old rules, regarding intentionally interfering with the fielder. I don't know, what else? I'm not trying to crucify the guy, or defend him. I'm just asking what kind of guy is he? 

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I dont know Machado but AJ wasn't an act. He was an a$$hole as a person. Treated people like dirt.

I've interacted with AJ twice in the city and was a nice guy both times. He also would sign a ton of autographs before road games. He may have been hated by teammates and other MLB players but from my personal experiences he wasn't an asshole off of the field.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres