Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

When my son who was 10 at the time went to a sox series with me all the way from NC there were 3 guys who really stood out.

Adam Laroche stopped his truck and signed for my son and another boy. Tyler Flowers stopped his car and waited for the kids to come all the way down past the fence, opened up his door and signed around 1AM after an extra inning game. And my son had a Alexei pick to click sign and Alexei saw it and stopped his ridiculous sports car and rolled down the window and pointed to him to get him the ball. He got the parking attendant to get it to him. It was really cool.

Abreu just ignored us for 20 minutes while he talked and then left. Adam Eaton sped as fast as he could past the kids as did Melky. There were only 2 or 3 kids there so they would not have had to spend much time. But honestly I cant say they were bad people. I am sure they have signed for many. Only guy was Abreu who stood 10 feet from all the kids and then just left. Would have taken him 1 minute.

1 hour ago, pmb0928 said:

When my son who was 10 at the time went to a sox series with me all the way from NC there were 3 guys who really stood out.

Adam Laroche stopped his truck and signed for my son and another boy. Tyler Flowers stopped his car and waited for the kids to come all the way down past the fence, opened up his door and signed around 1AM after an extra inning game. And my son had a Alexei pick to click sign and Alexei saw it and stopped his ridiculous sports car and rolled down the window and pointed to him to get him the ball. He got the parking attendant to get it to him. It was really cool.

Abreu just ignored us for 20 minutes while he talked and then left. Adam Eaton sped as fast as he could past the kids as did Melky. There were only 2 or 3 kids there so they would not have had to spend much time. But honestly I cant say they were bad people. I am sure they have signed for many. Only guy was Abreu who stood 10 feet from all the kids and then just left. Would have taken him 1 minute.

Players have off days and deserve some personal space. Abreu has been nothing short of awesome with kids in any interaction I’ve ever seen at numerous SoxFests. I’ve met him a few times as well and he’s always very friendly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I've interacted with AJ twice in the city and was a nice guy both times. He also would sign a ton of autographs before road games. He may have been hated by teammates and other MLB players but from my personal experiences he wasn't an asshole off of the field.

It was more the clubhouse guys and other staff that he treated that way. You can tell a lot about the players by the way they treat this group in the clubhouse when they aren't in the public eye.

Would you guys be OK with getting Marwin G. to fill the holes if we don't get Machado or Harper? It's a serious question. We could use him all over the place to find out where all our players excel. He's not the best, but he's versatile for a rebuilding club.

Edited by drgiggles15

24 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

Would you guys be OK with getting Marwin G. to fill the holes if we don't get Machado or Harper? It's a serious question. We could use him all over the place to find out where all our players excel. He's not the best, but he's versatile for a rebuilding club.

No.

Too old, we're not ready to compete without Machado/Harper. He will likely want a multi-year deal. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, drgiggles15 said:

No. If you don't get either Harper or Machado then I don't want any more moves

• Like 1

I will say one thing. It's wrong if pitchers and catchers report and these two guys haven't signed yet. They are looking at huge dollars no matter where they choose. They should sign and get to their teams. If they don't that's bullcrap.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I will say one thing. It's wrong if pitchers and catchers report and these two guys haven't signed yet. They are looking at huge dollars no matter where they choose. They should sign and get to their teams. If they don't that's bullcrap.

They should do whatever is best for them, their families and their wallets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Look at the NBA, those superstars are now holding their teams hostage with trade requests...AD, Porzingis, Butler, Irving, etc.

The owners are making record profits and every year, less of that money is going to the players.  Are you going to ask them to sacrifice...if not, why should the players be the ones to give in?

If you were a schoolteacher on strike and you thought you deserved $30 per hour, would you readily accept going back to work for just $17.50?  And what about all those teachers coming after you who will be locked into lower salaries as well...because you were willing to settle for 42% less than what you’re worth in terms of historical production and your being only 26.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Look at the NBA, those superstars are now holding their teams hostage with trade requests...AD, Porzingis, Butler, Irving, etc.

The owners are making record profits and every year, less of that money is going to the players.  Are you going to ask them to sacrifice...if not, why should the players be the ones to give in?

If you were a schoolteacher on strike and you thought you deserved $30 per hour, would you readily accept going back to work for just $17.50?  And what about all those teachers coming after you who will be locked into lower salaries as well...because you were willing to settle for 42% less than what you’re worth in terms of historical production and your being only 26.

in the NBA,  the players are guaranteed to get about 50% of all basketball related revenues.  It's in the CBA.

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Its crazy because I've gone from hoping for a signing before spring training to hoping for a rumor before spring training lol.

Yea, this process has really beat me down! Thank goodness Fantasy Baseball has opened, on Yahoo!

Edited by Saufley

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't think that is true.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres